No 2nd Hard Drive after XP reinstall

May 19, 2005 7:52:02 PM

I reinstalled XP Home, and now my 2nd hard drive won't show up. I can see it
in the device manager as Healthy (Active), but there's no drive letter
assigned, and when I right click on it, the only options are delete partition
and help. I'd like to avoid deleting the partition, since there's a lot of
info on there I don't want to lose. Can anyone suggest anything?
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 3:09:18 AM

Try moving the Drive to the Secondary IDE Channel as Master
"chester237" <chester237@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I reinstalled XP Home, and now my 2nd hard drive won't show up. I can see
>it
> in the device manager as Healthy (Active), but there's no drive letter
> assigned, and when I right click on it, the only options are delete
> partition
> and help. I'd like to avoid deleting the partition, since there's a lot
> of
> info on there I don't want to lose. Can anyone suggest anything?
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 3:26:03 AM

Both drives are SerialATA, and I don't have and IDE adapter - should I get one?

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> Try moving the Drive to the Secondary IDE Channel as Master
> "chester237" <chester237@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I reinstalled XP Home, and now my 2nd hard drive won't show up. I can see
> >it
> > in the device manager as Healthy (Active), but there's no drive letter
> > assigned, and when I right click on it, the only options are delete
> > partition
> > and help. I'd like to avoid deleting the partition, since there's a lot
> > of
> > info on there I don't want to lose. Can anyone suggest anything?

May 20, 2005 12:00:24 PM

can you go into disk manager and assign a letter to it?

--
PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous

How can I assign a letter to it if it doesn't have one already?

"PCDaddy" wrote:

> can you go into disk manager and assign a letter to it?
>

> --
> PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 2:12:49 PM

Go to Control Panel, Administrative tools, Computer Management, Drive
Management, right click on the drives status box and choose; change
drive letter & paths, give it the letter you want.
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman

May 20, 2005 3:46:08 PM

In the disk management status box, it indicates that the disk is healthy and
active, but right click only gives me the delete partition option, which I'm
trying to avoid, since there's a lot of data on there I don't want to delete.

"Treeman" wrote:

> Go to Control Panel, Administrative tools, Computer Management, Drive
> Management, right click on the drives status box and choose; change
> drive letter & paths, give it the letter you want.
> Best,
> Treeman
>

> --
> Treeman

> Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

May 20, 2005 11:22:35 PM

Chester, since your drive is SATA you may have to reinstall the SATA
XP drivers for it. It's worth a try. Do it from
Device Manager.
"chester237" <chester237@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I reinstalled XP Home, and now my 2nd hard drive won't show up. I can see
>it
> in the device manager as Healthy (Active), but there's no drive letter
> assigned, and when I right click on it, the only options are delete
> partition
> and help. I'd like to avoid deleting the partition, since there's a lot
> of
> info on there I don't want to lose. Can anyone suggest anything?
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 11:22:36 PM

How do I go about doing that? I right clicked on the drive under device
manager, and when I select "update driver", it says that it cannot find a
better match than the software I have installed.

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> Chester, since your drive is SATA you may have to reinstall the SATA
> XP drivers for it. It's worth a try. Do it from
> Device Manager.
> "chester237" <chester237@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I reinstalled XP Home, and now my 2nd hard drive won't show up. I can see
> >it
> > in the device manager as Healthy (Active), but there's no drive letter
> > assigned, and when I right click on it, the only options are delete
> > partition
> > and help. I'd like to avoid deleting the partition, since there's a lot
> > of
> > info on there I don't want to lose. Can anyone suggest anything?

Anonymous
May 21, 2005 1:17:13 PM

In the drive management console, click on the top header next to File
that says "Action." From there you should see "change drive letter."
Make sure you have the drive selected you want to change. (diagonal
stripes in the drives status box) Try again.
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman

May 21, 2005 1:17:13 PM

In the drive management console, click on the top header next to File
that says "Action." From there you should see "change drive letter."
Make sure you have the drive selected you want to change. (diagonal
stripes in the drives status box) Try again.
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman

May 21, 2005 7:55:42 PM

If you go to control pannel, administrative tools, COMPUTER
MANAGEMENT,DISK MANAGEMENT,does it show any drive at all?? If it shows
something, you can right click and you will have some options.

--
PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
!