john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I have a usb hard drive which is read by windows xp and works fine.
But on right clicking to stop the drive before unplugging, it comes up
with the message "the drive cannot be stop right now. Try again later"
or something to that effect. It happens with both the usb1.1 and usb2.0
drivers.

I suspect it has to do with links stored by winXP after copying data
files between the C drive and the USB drive. [I use the usb drive to
make a copy of my data for backup]

What can I do about this? At the momnet I am just unplugging the usb
drive while it is spinning. Don't want to continue doing this as it may
damage the drive or corrupt the files.

Drives have buffers and Windows XP (all OS actually) have
write delays, files are not written and closed instantly.
You need to be sure to close all applications, then try the
safely remove hardware command again.

some support

"john" <SpamMe@senseless.com> wrote in message

| I have a usb hard drive which is read by windows xp and
works fine.
| But on right clicking to stop the drive before unplugging,
it comes up
| with the message "the drive cannot be stop right now. Try
again later"
| or something to that effect. It happens with both the
usb1.1 and usb2.0
| drivers.
|
| I suspect it has to do with links stored by winXP after
copying data
| files between the C drive and the USB drive. [I use the
usb drive to
| make a copy of my data for backup]
|
| What can I do about this? At the momnet I am just
unplugging the usb
| drive while it is spinning. Don't want to continue doing
this as it may
| damage the drive or corrupt the files.
| --

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

"Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in

> Drives have buffers and Windows XP (all OS actually) have
> write delays, files are not written and closed instantly.
> You need to be sure to close all applications, then try the
> safely remove hardware command again.

Tried it before I posted.
Closed all applications, including windows explorer.
Also clicked in dirve/properties and unchecked caching.
Says it reduces performance but improves safety from data loss should
there be a power outage.
Still no luck

My Norton utilites registry check shows a lot of missing links after the
usb drive is unplugged. In other places such as documents & settings.

You might ask the drive maker about the issue. A backup
device that has the problem isn't helpful.

Your Norton may be the problem, or some other file tracking
software. Be sure that indexing and find fast are turned
OFF.

in

| > Drives have buffers and Windows XP (all OS actually)
have
| > write delays, files are not written and closed
instantly.
| > You need to be sure to close all applications, then try
the
| > safely remove hardware command again.
| >

| Tried it before I posted.
| Closed all applications, including windows explorer.
| Also clicked in dirve/properties and unchecked caching.
| Says it reduces performance but improves safety from data
loss should
| there be a power outage.
| Still no luck
|
| My Norton utilites registry check shows a lot of missing
links after the
| usb drive is unplugged. In other places such as documents
& settings.

| --

I've learned that if the external HD was the last one accessed in , for
example, Explorer and you then close Explorer, "Safely remove hardware" will
still say it can't be stopped... So click on another drive in Explorer
before closing it..

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"john" <SpamMe@senseless.com> kirjoitti viestissä

> I have a usb hard drive which is read by windows xp and works fine.
> But on right clicking to stop the drive before unplugging, it comes up
> with the message "the drive cannot be stop right now. Try again later"
> or something to that effect. It happens with both the usb1.1 and usb2.0
> drivers.
>
> I suspect it has to do with links stored by winXP after copying data
> files between the C drive and the USB drive. [I use the usb drive to
> make a copy of my data for backup]
>
> What can I do about this? At the momnet I am just unplugging the usb
> drive while it is spinning. Don't want to continue doing this as it may
> damage the drive or corrupt the files.
> --

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

"Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in news:#P
$QOOUXFHA.2348@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:

> You might ask the drive maker about the issue. A backup
> device that has the problem isn't helpful.
>
> Your Norton may be the problem, or some other file tracking
> software. Be sure that indexing and find fast are turned
> OFF.

That was it.
Turned off indexing via computer management console, and it turned off
the disk immediately after clicking on the stop button of the usb drive.

It rebooted with the indexing service on by default. So I gave it a
default value off through:
Support and Help/indexing service
Action/All Tasks/Tune Performance/Never Used

PS I failed to say Norton Utilities only found missing links when the
usb drive was unplugged. By the way, *enable cache when writing to disk*
(usb drive) does not present any problem when the indexing service is
turned off. The red LED shows if there is disk activity.

Thanks.