Will the K7VME destroy my Barton 2500 XP

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
January 6, 2005 10:17:10 PM

I've had the SOYO K7VME. Originally, I got it because of the "rebate."
Of course, that isn't going to happen....

Anyway, I bought a Barton 2500XP for it. I don't know why, but I am
worried that it will blow up my CPU. I don't want to do any kind of
overclocking (don't know that I could with that board.) Is this board
okay to put the new chip in? Thanks.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2005 7:08:46 PM

On 6 Jan 2005 19:17:10 -0800, john_20_28_2000@yahoo.com wrote:

>I've had the SOYO K7VME.

>Anyway, I bought a Barton 2500XP for it. I don't know why, but I am
>worried that it will blow up my CPU. I don't want to do any kind of
>overclocking (don't know that I could with that board.) Is this board
>okay to put the new chip in? Thanks.

And you couldn't read the manual or visit the website for some reason?

Unless you're trying to run the cpu without a heatsink or fan it
should run fine without blowing up. It's well under the limit.

www.soyogroup.com/products/proddesc.php?id=281

SY-K7VME
AMD Socket-A Based VIA KM400 Chipset micro ATX Motherboard
Featuring Embedded Graphics with 1 AGP slot, 2 channel Audio,
Integrated 10/100 LAN, 8X/4X AGP slot, and USB 2.0

CPU (maximums)
XP/Barton ... 3000+
XP/Thoroughbred ... 2600+
XP/Palomino ... 2100+
ThunderBird ... 1.4GHz
Duron ... 1.8GHz
Sempron ... 2800+
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2005 7:39:25 PM

I bought the same motherboard for my niece and since September its been
working great. It has an Athlon XP 2000+ in it now, fast enough for a 2nd
grader. (SoYo K7VME)

It stays on all the time, no problems with the board so far. Nice board!

I can't say the same thing about SoYo's Rebate system however. I think its
a lost cause.. I mailed it in correctly, on time, etc. etc. and never heard
from them again.

I asked ZipZoomFly.com (where I mail ordered it from) if they could give me
the rebate ID or resend the rebate form. Here is what ZipZoomFly replied
with.
Dear Josh,

Please note that since the rebate forms were sent to the manufacturer
directly, our company does not have any information regarding the updated
status of the refund check. However, we do have the following as their
contact information:

909.292.2528
rebate@soyousa.com

Sincerely,
ZipZoomFly

This number is for a answering agency I think. You call it and all you get
is someone's voice mailbox.

I'm going to complain to SOYO.COM .. and if I had saved the original rebate
address and all the rebate forms, I would be filing complaints to the
Attorney General of the state where they rebate requests were sent (I don't
remember where).

SOYO is thinking they can get away with rebate fraud on a large scale. We
shall see.

Josh
upstate south carolina

<john_20_28_2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've had the SOYO K7VME. Originally, I got it because of the "rebate."
> Of course, that isn't going to happen....
>
> Anyway, I bought a Barton 2500XP for it. I don't know why, but I am
> worried that it will blow up my CPU. I don't want to do any kind of
> overclocking (don't know that I could with that board.) Is this board
> okay to put the new chip in? Thanks.

a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2005 8:38:30 PM

My Bad typing caused me to incorrectly type 333Mhz bus.....Sorry

<john_20_28_2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've had the SOYO K7VME. Originally, I got it because of the "rebate."
> Of course, that isn't going to happen....
>
> Anyway, I bought a Barton 2500XP for it. I don't know why, but I am
> worried that it will blow up my CPU. I don't want to do any kind of
> overclocking (don't know that I could with that board.) Is this board
> okay to put the new chip in? Thanks.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2005 12:49:37 AM

I did read the manual. I wasn't asking because I didn't know what the
mobo was supposed to accept. I asked because since they are so
troublesome about their rebates they might be troublesome about their
systems and if they were, I'd rather not use anything of theirs at all.
In other words, I wanted to see if the entire package was
garbage...just like their rebates.

I was hoping for evidence to the contrary because I don't want to buy
yet another case, mobo, and power supply.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2005 12:31:12 PM

The board may be nice, but the way they have it in the case is
terrible. They, soyo or TigerDirect, has is so crammed that I can't,
or barely, fit the cpu with the fan in the case. It's touching the
power supply (see other thread.) Thanks for the information.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2005 3:29:59 PM

On 7 Jan 2005 21:49:37 -0800, john_20_28_2000@yahoo.com wrote:

>I did read the manual. I wasn't asking because I didn't know what the
>mobo was supposed to accept. I asked because since they are so
>troublesome about their rebates they might be troublesome about their
>systems and if they were, I'd rather not use anything of theirs at all.
>In other words, I wanted to see if the entire package was
>garbage...just like their rebates.
>
>I was hoping for evidence to the contrary because I don't want to buy
>yet another case, mobo, and power supply.

Ah... missed the sarcasim in the original message.
No idea how reliable the Soyo K7VME motherboard is.

Have experience with the SY-K7VTA PRO v1.0 (four boards),
all of them run fine (XP 2200+ & XP 2400+ cpu's) except that
they will occasionally fail to boot because the cpu fan didn't
spin up fast enough for the don't-start-if-the-fan-is-stopped
detection phase. A reboot solves that minor annoyance.

SY-P4I845PE ISA, one board running a Pentium 4, 3.06 cpu
Quite happy with this board, although it's a bit pricy.

Soyo rebates are useless. I didn't have a rebate on any
of my motherboard purchases, but the rebate for one of
their other I/O products was a no-show.

Soyo is a company that's on my rebate-offer blacklist.
But in my experience (YMMV) it is acceptable in the
actual product department.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 9, 2005 11:26:48 PM

So far I haven't been impressed with any of it. It runs fast, when it
runs. I can't reboot without getting in to a constant reboot. It gets
to windows splash and reboots. Finally, after several times, xp pro
loads. It isn't overheating and all drivers and bios are constant. Oh
well...
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 10, 2005 7:02:58 AM

On 8 Jan 2005 09:31:12 -0800, john_20_28_2000@yahoo.com wrote:

>The board may be nice, but the way they have it in the case is
>terrible. They, soyo or TigerDirect, has is so crammed that I can't,
>or barely, fit the cpu with the fan in the case. It's touching the
>power supply (see other thread.) Thanks for the information.

Ahh, you got one of the combo deals. Soyo has (or had)
2 types of case available under their name badge (I'm
pretty sure they don't make them), sounds like you got
one of the small ones.
I wasn't impressed with either case that was available.
Best cases I've seen at tigerdirect have been the
Chieftec's (sturdy, lots of space, well constructed).
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 17, 2005 12:06:38 PM

I will NEVER buy a "rebate" system from Tiger Direct again.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 18, 2005 7:16:52 AM

Well tell them too!!! :-)