SY-5EHM [ORIGINAL] and K62/500

Hello -

would appreciate any help you can provide -

I have my old SY-5EHM original version mobo installed in my parents' machine -
went to upgrade the CPU to an AMD K6/2-500. I made the required jumper
setting changes as spelled out in Soyo's latest quick install guide for that
mobo, but it still sees the CPU as only a K6/2-400! Is this a BIOS upgrade
issue? I also have 2 PC100 SDRAM DIMMs installed, 1 128mb and a 32mb.

thanks!

JJM

John Matlock wrote:
> Hello -
>
> would appreciate any help you can provide -
>
> I have my old SY-5EHM original version mobo installed in my parents'
machine -
> went to upgrade the CPU to an AMD K6/2-500. I made the required
jumper
> setting changes as spelled out in Soyo's latest quick install guide
for that
> mobo, but it still sees the CPU as only a K6/2-400! Is this a BIOS
upgrade
> issue? I also have 2 PC100 SDRAM DIMMs installed, 1 128mb and a
32mb.

> thanks!
>
> JJM

You said you changed the jumpers, but did you set the multiplier via
dip switch SW1? For a 5X multiplier switches 1-2-3 need to be set at
off-on-on.

Andy

I fixed the problem - once I figured out which version of the mainboard I was
working with and got the correct quick install guide downloaded, I got the
correct settings for 100mhz x 5 but it still only saw it as a 400mhz. The
ultimate fix was to flash the BIOS to the latest version. Now all is well.