2 Failed Harddrives within months of each other

Locke

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2001

I no longer have this problem and I want to ask if it might be because I am
using SpeedFan to up the fan speed to 100%.

I bought an HP in January of 2004 and within 2 or 3 months my HD began
making a terrible racket and acted like it couldnt find anything so I ran
the diagnostic program and it said that there was some error and HP sent a
replacement - the same thing happened with the replacement - so I got
another replacement. So now on my 3rd harddrive in a little over a year,
was my problem most likely that it overheated or something more mundane that
was uncontrollable by me? If I dont run the fans at 100% then the computer
temp. is usually above 50 degrees celcius.

Thanks,
Locke

50 degrees Celsius is *WAY* out of line, Your computer should be in the
30-40 degree range in normal usage and only go into the 40s during gaming.
You have some issue causing overheating. I would suspect the processor may
not have been mounted to the HSF and cooler properly. Make sure the HSF and
all cooling fans work. Make sure that the interior of the case is clean (no
dust), and that cables are arranged in such a manner as to allow air flow
within the case. Contact HP immediately. If you are running the proc in
the 50s at idle, you are significantly shortening its life.

Bobby

"Locke" <theoden_704@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I no longer have this problem and I want to ask if it might be because I am
>using SpeedFan to up the fan speed to 100%.
>
> I bought an HP in January of 2004 and within 2 or 3 months my HD began
> making a terrible racket and acted like it couldnt find anything so I ran
> the diagnostic program and it said that there was some error and HP sent a
> replacement - the same thing happened with the replacement - so I got
> another replacement. So now on my 3rd harddrive in a little over a year,
> was my problem most likely that it overheated or something more mundane
> that was uncontrollable by me? If I dont run the fans at 100% then the
> computer temp. is usually above 50 degrees celcius.
>
> Thanks,
> Locke

Locke

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2001

Well get this HP is so freakin cheap that instead of installing a heat-sink
with a fan mounted onboad - they just have a case fan with a directional
plastic piece aiming it at the heatsink. As long as it is running at 100%
then the temps stay down, if not then they go WAY up. This is a 2.8 GHz
computer so that seems strange to me and Im not big on removing and
reinstalling a heat sink when I cant afford to possibly replace the
processor.

Locke

"NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
> 50 degrees Celsius is *WAY* out of line, Your computer should be in the
> 30-40 degree range in normal usage and only go into the 40s during gaming.
> You have some issue causing overheating. I would suspect the processor
> may not have been mounted to the HSF and cooler properly. Make sure the
> HSF and all cooling fans work. Make sure that the interior of the case is
> clean (no dust), and that cables are arranged in such a manner as to allow
> air flow within the case. Contact HP immediately. If you are running the
> proc in the 50s at idle, you are significantly shortening its life.
>
> Bobby
>
> "Locke" <theoden_704@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I no longer have this problem and I want to ask if it might be because I
>>am using SpeedFan to up the fan speed to 100%.
>>
>> I bought an HP in January of 2004 and within 2 or 3 months my HD began
>> making a terrible racket and acted like it couldnt find anything so I ran
>> the diagnostic program and it said that there was some error and HP sent
>> a replacement - the same thing happened with the replacement - so I got
>> another replacement. So now on my 3rd harddrive in a little over a year,
>> was my problem most likely that it overheated or something more mundane
>> that was uncontrollable by me? If I dont run the fans at 100% then the
>> computer temp. is usually above 50 degrees celcius.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Locke

Actually 50 c is not way out of line so to speak. Most pre packaged pcs
run from 46 to 58 c. Amd runs hotter also. My pc runs 56 c and has a
shutoff at 60 and up. Nothing below. Perhaps companies want this to be?
Faster breakdown of the cpu? I am going to install a better fan for my
pc however. I don't care for the 50's range myself.

--
PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access