SY-K7V Dragon Plus with 3 SIMMS

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
January 22, 2005 9:18:14 PM

I thought I'd perform a small upgrade and install a 3rd memory
SIMM. I had 2 256 megs in already, I installed a 3rd,
exactly the same SIMM.
The Dragon can't handle it, computer constantly crashes
or re-boots erratically.
Tried upgrading the BIOS, still the same.
I searched the Web and found a lot of people with the
same problem, but no solutions offered.
Anyone have a solution?

More about : k7v dragon simms

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2005 7:13:07 PM

news.astraweb.com wrote:
> I thought I'd perform a small upgrade and install a 3rd memory
> SIMM. I had 2 256 megs in already, I installed a 3rd,
> exactly the same SIMM.
> The Dragon can't handle it, computer constantly crashes
> or re-boots erratically.
> Tried upgrading the BIOS, still the same.
> I searched the Web and found a lot of people with the
> same problem, but no solutions offered.
> Anyone have a solution?

From my knowledge only solution is to use only 2 slots. Dragon+ has this bug
that you just can't use all 3 slots. Why are there...i guess for the same
reason that you can overclock (in theory) fsb up to 233M!!! while in
practice mobo locks up above 150M. I even had problems using only two slots,
so i exhanged my two ram's with one bigger.
Best option is to replace your three SIMM's with one bigger - let's say 1G
instead 3x256M. I bet that many computer shops will exchange it.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2005 8:18:10 PM

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:18:14 -0500, "news.astraweb.com"
<someone@microsoft.com> wrote:

>I thought I'd perform a small upgrade and install a 3rd memory
>SIMM. I had 2 256 megs in already, I installed a 3rd,
>exactly the same SIMM.
>The Dragon can't handle it, computer constantly crashes
>or re-boots erratically.
>Tried upgrading the BIOS, still the same.
>I searched the Web and found a lot of people with the
>same problem, but no solutions offered.
>Anyone have a solution?

I had the same problem. First I upgraded my 256 MB modul from Crucial
with a 512 MB from Kingston. Everything worked fine.

Then I bought a second 512 MB modul and my computer re-booted from
time to time. Now I had only the two 512 MB modules in DIMM1+2 and
everything works fine.

Seems to be a known problem.

Mark
!