SY-K7V Dragon Plus with 3 SIMMS

I thought I'd perform a small upgrade and install a 3rd memory
SIMM. I had 2 256 megs in already, I installed a 3rd,
exactly the same SIMM.
The Dragon can't handle it, computer constantly crashes
or re-boots erratically.
Tried upgrading the BIOS, still the same.
I searched the Web and found a lot of people with the
same problem, but no solutions offered.
Anyone have a solution?
2 answers Last reply
More about dragon simms

    news.astraweb.com wrote:
    > I thought I'd perform a small upgrade and install a 3rd memory
    > SIMM. I had 2 256 megs in already, I installed a 3rd,
    > exactly the same SIMM.
    > The Dragon can't handle it, computer constantly crashes
    > or re-boots erratically.
    > Tried upgrading the BIOS, still the same.
    > I searched the Web and found a lot of people with the
    > same problem, but no solutions offered.
    > Anyone have a solution?

    From my knowledge only solution is to use only 2 slots. Dragon+ has this bug
    that you just can't use all 3 slots. Why are there...i guess for the same
    reason that you can overclock (in theory) fsb up to 233M!!! while in
    practice mobo locks up above 150M. I even had problems using only two slots,
    so i exhanged my two ram's with one bigger.
    Best option is to replace your three SIMM's with one bigger - let's say 1G
    instead 3x256M. I bet that many computer shops will exchange it.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:18:14 -0500, "news.astraweb.com"
    <someone@microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I thought I'd perform a small upgrade and install a 3rd memory
    >SIMM. I had 2 256 megs in already, I installed a 3rd,
    >exactly the same SIMM.
    >The Dragon can't handle it, computer constantly crashes
    >or re-boots erratically.
    >Tried upgrading the BIOS, still the same.
    >I searched the Web and found a lot of people with the
    >same problem, but no solutions offered.
    >Anyone have a solution?

    I had the same problem. First I upgraded my 256 MB modul from Crucial
    with a 512 MB from Kingston. Everything worked fine.

    Then I bought a second 512 MB modul and my computer re-booted from
    time to time. Now I had only the two 512 MB modules in DIMM1+2 and
    everything works fine.

    Seems to be a known problem.

    Mark

SIMM Motherboards