SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 v1.0

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
January 27, 2005 12:18:26 AM

I have just built my system with this board, specs are:
MB above, P4 2.4C/400/256, 512 DDR400 which runs at 266mhz, 40gb maxtor
hd. I have updated all drivers, service packs (WinXP home) my only
problem is I have no sound, device manager shows no errors, event
viewer no errors. I have tried other speakers and they do not work on
this board, both sets of speakers do work. I duplicated the drive with
another drive before rebuild, because I wanted to do a repair in XP
instead of re-install, my problem with this was that the repair changed
my drive letter from C: to D: so none of my installed apps wont work.
Any ideas, I am about to just go and bye a new audio card.

More about : p4i865pe dragon

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 27, 2005 10:33:45 AM

First a P-4 2.4C /400/256? A P-4 2.4C run's at 800Mhz so your FSB
should be set to 200Mhz. So please explain the /400/256. On your sound
if you have the sound enabled in the BIOS and the driver loaded with
the device manager showning no errors for the sound, have you made sure
you have the speakers plugged in correctly and that your using speakers
with there own power supply? Some manuals for Soyo have shown in the
past the wrong plug for the speakers and some that use two sets of
speakers required you to go into the sound software program and switch
it to use two sets of speakers, which when done requires the second set
of speakers to be plugged into the mic output.
January 27, 2005 12:12:38 PM

Thanks for your answer, Yes the processor is correct P4 2.4C (celeron)
400 mhz FSB 256K L2 cache.
I have been working with computers since 1983, I am A+/Network
certified, MCSE, CCNE, CNE (novell). The speakers work on another
computer fine. They where pluged in to the green port or audio out. I
did find an article @ Soyo about a jumper J5 i think, I had to do a
search on all products no sound. I guess they do not cross refernce
there KB.

Thanks again
a b V Motherboard
January 27, 2005 9:57:19 PM

Then you should know that the only Celeron processors that have the
256K L2 cache are the Celeron D and its a 533Mhz processor. There are 3
2.4Ghz Celerons that operate at 400Mhz and they are the SL6VU, SL6XG
and the SL6W4. All of which have a 128kb cache size.

There is only one Celeron that has the 256Kb L2 cache and that is the
Celeron D 320 BX80546RE2400C boxed unit or RK80546RE056256 oem unit.

As to your speakers, like I said some manuals list the speaker output
as the green plug, its even listed as that in the C-Media Audio
Configuration Panel. As mine does but the acutal speaker output is the
blue plug when used with only two speakers. When used with four
speakers the front speakers are the blue plug, rear are the red plug
and they must be activated in the C-Media 3D Audio Configuration Panel.
Also your speakers must be self powered speakers.

Jumper J5 on your motherboard is the Clear CMOS jumper.
I'm also A+ certified
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 15, 2005 5:00:20 PM

LOL

Ken,

Both the early P-4's and Celerons operate at 400Mhz. But the Front Side
Bus speed is 100Mhz. All P-4's and Celerons no matter what the
operating Mhz is all are quad channel processors. Not dual channel, the
later cpu's support dual channel memory.

P-4's that operate at 400Mhz have FSB of 100Mhz
P-4's that operate at 533Mhz have FSB of 133Mhz
P-4's that operate at 800Mhz have FSB of 200Mhz
P-4's that operate at 1066Mhz have FSB of 266Mhz

Celerons that operate at 400Mhz are avalible in both Willamette and
Northwood cores and are termed P-4 based.

All Celeron D's operate at 533Mhz and are Prescott cores.

So if you take the FSB speed and multiply it by 4 you end up with the
processors operational Mhz.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 15, 2005 11:08:59 PM

#400 mhz FSB 256K L2 cache.

Correct? Really?

"P4", by any measure, means Pentium IV. Celeron means "not a Pentium
IV". P4C means a Northwood core Pentium IV. I guess 2.4C could mean
Celeron, or whatever you want it to mean. People usually avoid that
notation because of the possible confusion. A 2.4GHz Celeron could have
a Williamette core or the newer "E" core (Prescot). I haven't heard of
a Northwood core Celeron, but anything is possible.

You don't have 400MHz FSB on your Celeron, unless you have achieved some
record overclocking. You have what is known as 400FSB, which clocked at
200MHz but transfers data at double that rate.

#I have been working with computers since 1983, I am A+/Network
#certified, MCSE, CCNE, CNE (novell).

Washington State gov't got it right, where it is illegal to use the term
"Engineer" unless one has the Profession Engineer credentials to back it
up. Why the folks in Redmond who run the only "University" that does not
award PhD's (or Bachelor's for that matter) continue to abuse the word
"Engineer" is beyond me. Ditto Cisco.

Anyway, this post is emblematic of the reason I don't hire people with
only certificates to do real engineering jobs.

# The speakers work on another
#computer fine. They where pluged in to the green port or audio out. I
#did find an article @ Soyo about a jumper J5 i think, I had to do a
#search on all products no sound. I guess they do not cross refernce
#there KB.

With Soyo, you can rest assured you are getting the worst of product/
post-sales support.

Ken.
Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Close the VT SVC Ctr boondoggle and
WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | return services to local CIS offices!