ASUS TV-FM CARD 7135 Won't work on an AMD Sempron System

May 21, 2005 10:53:15 PM

It's a brand new card on a relatively new system. When I insert it the
system hangs without even beeping. I tried moving the card to a different
slot on the motherboard -- same thing happens.I tried the card on another
system and it works fine.

Could this card be incompatible to this particular motherboard? It's a
Biostar M7VIG400 KM266 SKTA from a Tagar system with an AMD Sempron 2400+
CPU and 512MB RAM

Thanks for any help..
May 22, 2005 4:22:02 AM

Hi,

Update the mobo BIOS and chipset drivers may help.

--
Peter

"leo" wrote:

> It's a brand new card on a relatively new system. When I insert it the
> system hangs without even beeping. I tried moving the card to a different
> slot on the motherboard -- same thing happens.I tried the card on another
> system and it works fine.
>
> Could this card be incompatible to this particular motherboard? It's a
> Biostar M7VIG400 KM266 SKTA from a Tagar system with an AMD Sempron 2400+
> CPU and 512MB RAM
>
> Thanks for any help..

May 23, 2005 4:40:37 AM

I couldn't find a newer BIOS version so I tried installing a slightly older
version. It's still doing the same thing. I guess I should find another
card. I'm a little pissed off that a system that 5 years old has no
problems, but a much newer sytem boot up nor won't even give a diagnostic
beep. Oh well.

> Hi,
>
> Update the mobo BIOS and chipset drivers may help.
>
> --
> Peter
>

> "leo" wrote:
>
>> It's a brand new card on a relatively new system. When I insert it the
>> system hangs without even beeping. I tried moving the card to a different
>> slot on the motherboard -- same thing happens.I tried the card on another
>> system and it works fine.
>>
>> Could this card be incompatible to this particular motherboard? It's a
>> Biostar M7VIG400 KM266 SKTA from a Tagar system with an AMD Sempron 2400+
>> CPU and 512MB RAM
>>
>> Thanks for any help..

Related resources
May 23, 2005 4:40:38 AM

Leo,

http://www.biostar.com.tw/support/bios/bios.php3?model=...(7.x)
latest BIOS Version Vig0916bs4.exe dated 2004/10/05

VIA chipset drivers:
http://www.biostar.com.tw/support/driver/chipset.php3?i...

or try the older version 4.43 from viaarena.com:
http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2

Note: disable any antivirus softwares before flashing the BIOS and install
the chipset drivers.

Proper procedures to update BIOS and chipset drivers:
1. Boot into BIOS and then disable any virus protection in BIOS, if any;
save and exit BIOS setup.
2. Strictly follow the mobo user manual to update the BIOS.
After BIOS is successfully flashed, load the opyimized setup default.
Make any configuration in BIOS to suit your requirement and then save
and exit BIOS setup.
3. After windows loaded, close any application and make sure the antivirus
softwares is not running at the background.
Install the VIA 4in1 drivers Version 4.43 downloaded from viaarena.com.
Follow the prompts and restart at the end of the installation.

Pls post back to NG for the outcome

--
Peter

"leo" wrote:

> I couldn't find a newer BIOS version so I tried installing a slightly older
> version. It's still doing the same thing. I guess I should find another
> card. I'm a little pissed off that a system that 5 years old has no
> problems, but a much newer sytem boot up nor won't even give a diagnostic
> beep. Oh well.
>
> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Update the mobo BIOS and chipset drivers may help.
> >
> > --
> > Peter
> >

> > "leo" wrote:
> >
> >> It's a brand new card on a relatively new system. When I insert it the
> >> system hangs without even beeping. I tried moving the card to a different
> >> slot on the motherboard -- same thing happens.I tried the card on another
> >> system and it works fine.
> >>
> >> Could this card be incompatible to this particular motherboard? It's a
> >> Biostar M7VIG400 KM266 SKTA from a Tagar system with an AMD Sempron 2400+
> >> CPU and 512MB RAM
> >>
> >> Thanks for any help..

May 30, 2005 9:20:18 PM

I've updated both the BIOS & chipset with the latest to no avail. I've also
sent email to a Biostar rep (carol@biostar.com.tw) four days ago, but I not
receive a reply yet.

I'm thinking of getting the ASUS tv tuner listed below instead.

VC-CP-THEATER550 CP THEATER 550/ATI REAL-TIME
HARDWARE MPEG2 ENCODING

> Leo,
>
> http://www.biostar.com.tw/support/bios/bios.php3?model=...(7.x)
> latest BIOS Version Vig0916bs4.exe dated 2004/10/05
>
> VIA chipset drivers:
> http://www.biostar.com.tw/support/driver/chipset.php3?i...
>
> or try the older version 4.43 from viaarena.com:
> http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2
>
> Note: disable any antivirus softwares before flashing the BIOS and install
> the chipset drivers.
>
> Proper procedures to update BIOS and chipset drivers:
> 1. Boot into BIOS and then disable any virus protection in BIOS, if any;
> save and exit BIOS setup.
> 2. Strictly follow the mobo user manual to update the BIOS.
> After BIOS is successfully flashed, load the opyimized setup default.
> Make any configuration in BIOS to suit your requirement and then save
> and exit BIOS setup.
> 3. After windows loaded, close any application and make sure the antivirus
> softwares is not running at the background.
> Install the VIA 4in1 drivers Version 4.43 downloaded from viaarena.com.
> Follow the prompts and restart at the end of the installation.
>
> Pls post back to NG for the outcome
>
> --
> Peter
>

> "leo" wrote:
>
>> I couldn't find a newer BIOS version so I tried installing a slightly
>> older
>> version. It's still doing the same thing. I guess I should find another
>> card. I'm a little pissed off that a system that 5 years old has no
>> problems, but a much newer sytem boot up nor won't even give a diagnostic
>> beep. Oh well.
>>
>> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Update the mobo BIOS and chipset drivers may help.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Peter

May 31, 2005 12:36:01 AM

leo,

Are there any other PCI cards other than the Asus tv card?
How do you configure the BIOS settings for PCI device?
Does the BIOS recongnize the Asus tv card in BIOS?

--
Peter

"leo" wrote:

> I've updated both the BIOS & chipset with the latest to no avail. I've also
> sent email to a Biostar rep (carol@biostar.com.tw) four days ago, but I not
> receive a reply yet.
>
> I'm thinking of getting the ASUS tv tuner listed below instead.
>
> VC-CP-THEATER550 CP THEATER 550/ATI REAL-TIME
> HARDWARE MPEG2 ENCODING
>
> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Leo,
> >
> > http://www.biostar.com.tw/support/bios/bios.php3?model=...(7.x)
> > latest BIOS Version Vig0916bs4.exe dated 2004/10/05
> >
> > VIA chipset drivers:
> > http://www.biostar.com.tw/support/driver/chipset.php3?i...
> >
> > or try the older version 4.43 from viaarena.com:
> > http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2
> >
> > Note: disable any antivirus softwares before flashing the BIOS and install
> > the chipset drivers.
> >
> > Proper procedures to update BIOS and chipset drivers:
> > 1. Boot into BIOS and then disable any virus protection in BIOS, if any;
> > save and exit BIOS setup.
> > 2. Strictly follow the mobo user manual to update the BIOS.
> > After BIOS is successfully flashed, load the opyimized setup default.
> > Make any configuration in BIOS to suit your requirement and then save
> > and exit BIOS setup.
> > 3. After windows loaded, close any application and make sure the antivirus
> > softwares is not running at the background.
> > Install the VIA 4in1 drivers Version 4.43 downloaded from viaarena.com.
> > Follow the prompts and restart at the end of the installation.
> >
> > Pls post back to NG for the outcome
> >
> > --
> > Peter
> >

> > "leo" wrote:
> >
> >> I couldn't find a newer BIOS version so I tried installing a slightly
> >> older
> >> version. It's still doing the same thing. I guess I should find another
> >> card. I'm a little pissed off that a system that 5 years old has no
> >> problems, but a much newer sytem boot up nor won't even give a diagnostic
> >> beep. Oh well.
> >>
> >> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

May 31, 2005 5:54:44 PM

BIOS PCI settings weren't changed because I didn't notice any setting that
needed to be changed. I did stick a firewire card before and it was
recognize by the system. But with this card nothing happens other than the
fans making noise. There are no beeps, no messages on the monitor, NOTHING
else! It seems like something is preventing either the motherboard or the
CPU from posting.

> leo,
>
> Are there any other PCI cards other than the Asus tv card?
> How do you configure the BIOS settings for PCI device?
> Does the BIOS recongnize the Asus tv card in BIOS?
>
> --
> Peter
>

> "leo" wrote:
>
>> I've updated both the BIOS & chipset with the latest to no avail. I've
>> also
>> sent email to a Biostar rep (carol@biostar.com.tw) four days ago, but I
>> not
>> receive a reply yet.
>>
>> I'm thinking of getting the ASUS tv tuner listed below instead.
>>
>> VC-CP-THEATER550 CP THEATER 550/ATI REAL-TIME
>> HARDWARE MPEG2 ENCODING
>>
>> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Leo,
>> >
>> > http://www.biostar.com.tw/support/bios/bios.php3?model=...(7.x)
>> > latest BIOS Version Vig0916bs4.exe dated 2004/10/05
>> >
>> > VIA chipset drivers:
>> > http://www.biostar.com.tw/support/driver/chipset.php3?i...
>> >
>> > or try the older version 4.43 from viaarena.com:
>> > http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2
>> >
>> > Note: disable any antivirus softwares before flashing the BIOS and
>> > install
>> > the chipset drivers.
>> >
>> > Proper procedures to update BIOS and chipset drivers:
>> > 1. Boot into BIOS and then disable any virus protection in BIOS, if
>> > any;
>> > save and exit BIOS setup.
>> > 2. Strictly follow the mobo user manual to update the BIOS.
>> > After BIOS is successfully flashed, load the opyimized setup
>> > default.
>> > Make any configuration in BIOS to suit your requirement and then
>> > save
>> > and exit BIOS setup.
>> > 3. After windows loaded, close any application and make sure the
>> > antivirus
>> > softwares is not running at the background.
>> > Install the VIA 4in1 drivers Version 4.43 downloaded from
>> > viaarena.com.
>> > Follow the prompts and restart at the end of the installation.
>> >
>> > Pls post back to NG for the outcome
>> >
>> > --
>> > Peter

May 31, 2005 8:11:47 PM

Hi,

It may be conflict with the on-board vedio chips of your mobo.
You said it worked with other PC. Does the PC using on-board vedio chips or
using a AGP display card?

Pls post back to NG.
--
Peter

"leo" wrote:

> BIOS PCI settings weren't changed because I didn't notice any setting that
> needed to be changed. I did stick a firewire card before and it was
> recognize by the system. But with this card nothing happens other than the
> fans making noise. There are no beeps, no messages on the monitor, NOTHING
> else! It seems like something is preventing either the motherboard or the
> CPU from posting.
>

> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > leo,
> >
> > Are there any other PCI cards other than the Asus tv card?
> > How do you configure the BIOS settings for PCI device?
> > Does the BIOS recongnize the Asus tv card in BIOS?
> >
> > --
> > Peter
> >

> > "leo" wrote:
> >
> >> I've updated both the BIOS & chipset with the latest to no avail. I've
> >> also
> >> sent email to a Biostar rep (carol@biostar.com.tw) four days ago, but I
> >> not
> >> receive a reply yet.
> >>
> >> I'm thinking of getting the ASUS tv tuner listed below instead.
> >>
> >> VC-CP-THEATER550 CP THEATER 550/ATI REAL-TIME
> >> HARDWARE MPEG2 ENCODING
> >>
> >> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

June 1, 2005 3:44:16 AM

Hi,
The card worked perfectly on a A7V400-MX motherboard with on board video.
And it also was recognized on and older socket A KSEM mboard with a 900MHz
CPU. However, on that system I didn't bother installing the drivers for the
card.

I am going try my luck with an MSI card this Saturday. I'll post here what
happens.

!