HELP: PAR2 files!!!!

Nexus

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2003

I've just downloaded my fills from ABEM and I've got the PAR2 files there
too, problem is this....... I didn't have the PAR2 program installed in the
first place and because of a few other problems the files weren't downloaded
in their exact order. EVERYTHING is there, but is there anyway of fixing
them "after" they have now been downloaded?

P.S. I'm not keen on downloading 300MB's of data again on dial-up. :(

--
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 15:15:33 +0100, "NeXuS" <Diablo@hell.org> wrote:

>I've just downloaded my fills from ABEM and I've got the PAR2 files there
>too, problem is this....... I didn't have the PAR2 program installed in the
>first place and because of a few other problems the files weren't downloaded
>in their exact order. EVERYTHING is there, but is there anyway of fixing
>them "after" they have now been downloaded?
>
>P.S. I'm not keen on downloading 300MB's of data again on dial-up. :(

As long as you have all the files it doesn't matter whether you repair
the archive staright after download or even sometime later and there
isn't any particular order you need to download them in.
If you have all the files then simply install quickpar and reboot
your machine.
Use quickpar to check out the files and if they need fixing then
quickpar will give you the option to repair them.

Nexus

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2003

"PRoToCoL" <protocol@nobloodyway.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 15:15:33 +0100, "NeXuS" <Diablo@hell.org> wrote:
>
>>I've just downloaded my fills from ABEM and I've got the PAR2 files there
>>too, problem is this....... I didn't have the PAR2 program installed in
>>the
>>first place and because of a few other problems the files weren't
>>downloaded
>>in their exact order. EVERYTHING is there, but is there anyway of fixing
>>them "after" they have now been downloaded?
>>
>>P.S. I'm not keen on downloading 300MB's of data again on dial-up. :(
>
> As long as you have all the files it doesn't matter whether you repair
> the archive staright after download or even sometime later and there
> isn't any particular order you need to download them in.
> If you have all the files then simply install quickpar and reboot
> your machine.
> Use quickpar to check out the files and if they need fixing then
> quickpar will give you the option to repair them.

Sorry to be a pain, but I am fairly new to all this so I'm still learning.
:)

Thing is, I originally had a load of roms which were missing a lot of files,
I've downloaded my fills, but the problem is this: I can't figure out using
CLRMamePro how to fix the original roms, i've tried a lot of different
things, but nothing seems to work.

P.S. Do the the split files in the fills have to be joined to work
properly?

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 17:32:30 +0100, "NeXuS" <Diablo@hell.org> wrote:

>Sorry to be a pain, but I am fairly new to all this so I'm still learning.
>:)
>
>Thing is, I originally had a load of roms which were missing a lot of files,
>I've downloaded my fills, but the problem is this: I can't figure out using
>CLRMamePro how to fix the original roms, i've tried a lot of different
>things, but nothing seems to work.
>
>P.S. Do the the split files in the fills have to be joined to work
>properly?

Load the dat for the version of Mame you are using
Then go to the Rebuilder section.
Have your Mame roms path as the destination
and the
place where you have your newly downloaded fills as the source.
Hit the "Rebuild" button
Simple stuff once you know how :)

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 17:32:30 +0100, "NeXuS" <Diablo@hell.org> wrote:

>P.S. Do the the split files in the fills have to be joined to work
>properly?

I've just noticed this bit at the bottom :)

What do you mean by split files ?
You should have a number of zip files ?
or have you downloaded a rar archive ?

Assuming it's zip files then simply use the rebuilder as I described
in my previous message

If it's a rar archive then.........
You need to have downloaded all the parts of the rar archive andif
it has checked out ok with Smartpar as I described earler then you
need to extract the zipped romsets out of the rar archive.
Then use the rebuilder in ClrMame.

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 17:32:30 +0100, "NeXuS" <Diablo@hell.org> wrote:

>Sorry to be a pain, but I am fairly new to all this so I'm still learning.
>:)

No probs.......
You may find Cordata's site useful

http://abem.mametitles.com/

> On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 17:32:30 +0100, "NeXuS" <Diablo@hell.org> wrote:
>

>>Sorry to be a pain, but I am fairly new to all this so I'm still learning.
>>:)
>>
>>Thing is, I originally had a load of roms which were missing a lot of
>>files,
>>I've downloaded my fills, but the problem is this: I can't figure out
>>using
>>CLRMamePro how to fix the original roms, i've tried a lot of different
>>things, but nothing seems to work.
>>
>>P.S. Do the the split files in the fills have to be joined to work
>>properly?
>
> Load the dat for the version of Mame you are using
> Then go to the Rebuilder section.
> Have your Mame roms path as the destination
> and the
> place where you have your newly downloaded fills as the source.
> Hit the "Rebuild" button
> Simple stuff once you know how :)

It's kinda working, but the fills that I downloaded aren't making any
difference. :(

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 18:27:08 +0100, "NeXuS" <Diablo@hell.org> wrote:

>> Load the dat for the version of Mame you are using
>> Then go to the Rebuilder section.
>> Have your Mame roms path as the destination
>> and the
>> place where you have your newly downloaded fills as the source.
>> Hit the "Rebuild" button
>> Simple stuff once you know how :)

>It's kinda working, but the fills that I downloaded aren't making any
>difference. :(

A few questions.......

Were they fills especially uploaded for you or did you just grab them
on the off chance?

Are your paths set correctly ?
The source and the destination in the rebuilder ?

Are they zip files you are using in the rebulider?
If they are rar files you need to extract them

> On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 18:27:08 +0100, "NeXuS" <Diablo@hell.org> wrote:
>

>>> Load the dat for the version of Mame you are using
>>> Then go to the Rebuilder section.
>>> Have your Mame roms path as the destination
>>> and the
>>> place where you have your newly downloaded fills as the source.
>>> Hit the "Rebuild" button
>>> Simple stuff once you know how :)
>
>>It's kinda working, but the fills that I downloaded aren't making any
>>difference. :(
>
> A few questions.......
>
> Were they fills especially uploaded for you or did you just grab them
> on the off chance?

They are mine, but I think I know where i've gone wrong.

> Are your paths set correctly ?
> The source and the destination in the rebuilder ?
>
> Are they zip files you are using in the rebulider?
> If they are rar files you need to extract them

I've been using a program called "Extract Now", brilliant example of a GNU
licence.
I've only just found out that all I had to do was just extract the first
file of a particular set of RAR's and it unpacks the whole lot. D'oh!!

I'm just sorting a few more things out, then I'll run the rebuilder.
Hopefully I'll have it all sorted then. :)

TRENDING THREADS