Restore Cd with New HD?

Ok, a lady from work seems to have lost her HD on her home PC.
I haven't checked it out yet, but she said it gives the error; operating
system not found.
She is one of those cases where she never got a Windows Xp CD just a restore
disk.
All she uses the system for is to browse the internet and some word
processing.
I've never used a restore CD. (I would never buy a system with just a resore
CD.)
If she just bought a new HD how do those resore CD's respond to that? Does
the HD need to be
the original or the same size or will anyone work? It was a 40gb HD. I
figure she could get one at least
that size dirt cheap. I figured on an 80gb.
3 answers Last reply
More about restore

    Usually any hard drive will work as long as it can be properly recognized by
    the motherboard and BIOS.

    Different computer manufacturers do the restore process differently so check
    the manual and/or contact the manufacturer for details.

    Typically you simply boot to the CD and follow the prompts to install
    Windows XP.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "mcl" <levinemc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Ok, a lady from work seems to have lost her HD on her home PC.
    > I haven't checked it out yet, but she said it gives the error; operating
    > system not found.
    > She is one of those cases where she never got a Windows Xp CD just a
    > restore disk.
    > All she uses the system for is to browse the internet and some word
    > processing.
    > I've never used a restore CD. (I would never buy a system with just a
    > resore CD.)
    > If she just bought a new HD how do those resore CD's respond to that? Does
    > the HD need to be
    > the original or the same size or will anyone work? It was a 40gb HD. I
    > figure she could get one at least
    > that size dirt cheap. I figured on an 80gb.

    I have used the restore cd(oem) on many pcs. Most of the time they
    work,however, i have run into many that haven't. When you first turn on
    the pc, tap the del button to get into cmos setup. You have to configure
    the boot device to be cdrom first. Some cases i have had to put all to
    cdrom or it would skip the cd restore disk anyway. normally it's F10 to
    save changes, reboot. The cd should kick in and give you the option to
    reinstall. I don't know how much you know about this type of setup but
    if you need more info, let me know.

    --
    PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    I'm sure I can take it from there. I've worked many a problem but never with
    a restore disk before.
    This brings up another question. I upgraded my system a few months ago. I
    got a box (Antex P160, 500W PS, AMD 64 939 pin PCI-X mb, AMD 64 3500+ chip,
    2 GB RAM (2 dimms not 4), and ATI AIW X600 Video card from Monarch. Brought
    over all my old stuff from my old system, 120 & 80 gb WD HD's, 2 CD-ROM type
    devices (DVD-ROM & DVD Multiformat Writer, etc, etc). BTW, I didn't do a
    fresh install. I "Repaired the install". Worked great. Didn't have to
    re-install all my software. Everything just ran"REALLY FAST" (;-). I have
    SR2 for Windows Xp on CDROM so that went really nice eventhough I do have a
    cable modem and could have downloaded it. BUT I found out something. My two
    drives are WD 120 & 80 gb 7200 RPM, 8 meg buffer HD's. Datalifeguard will
    not run on a 64 bit system. It wouldn't work and I asked WD. That's what
    they told me. Anyway, SAM's here has a WD 250 GB HD for $118. I've been
    watching it for a while (why, beacuse like the guy who climbed Mt
    Everest...it's there (and cheap). I would want to remove my 80gb (maybe use
    it for this lady from work), make the 250 gb my primary and the 120 gb for
    backup. But if the WD software will not work on my system what's an
    alternative way to do that.

    "PCDaddy" <PCDaddy.1pf061@> wrote in message

    > I have used the restore cd(oem) on many pcs. Most of the time they
    > work,however, i have run into many that haven't. When you first turn on
    > the pc, tap the del button to get into cmos setup. You have to configure
    > the boot device to be cdrom first. Some cases i have had to put all to
    > cdrom or it would skip the cd restore disk anyway. normally it's F10 to
    > save changes, reboot. The cd should kick in and give you the option to
    > reinstall. I don't know how much you know about this type of setup but
    > if you need more info, let me know.
    >

    > --
    > PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

CD-Rom HD Windows XP