complete removal of via-supplied chipset drivers

I would like to remove the VIA-distributed Hyperion 4in1 chipset
drivers (v4.56v) from my WX Pro machine and let the Microsoft drivers
take care of AGP and IDE.

Has anyone seen a FAQ or procedure on how to reliably do this?

thanks
9 answers Last reply
More about complete removal supplied chipset drivers

    Hi,

    If you encounter problems on V4.56, try the older V4.43 which is more
    suitable for older mobo VIA chipsets.
    Download from this link:
    http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2

    --
    Peter

    "phreak" wrote:

    > I would like to remove the VIA-distributed Hyperion 4in1 chipset
    > drivers (v4.56v) from my WX Pro machine and let the Microsoft drivers
    > take care of AGP and IDE.
    >
    > Has anyone seen a FAQ or procedure on how to reliably do this?
    >
    > thanks

    That would be a bad move on your part!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "phreak" <newsposter@mn.rr.com> wrote in message
    >I would like to remove the VIA-distributed Hyperion 4in1 chipset
    > drivers (v4.56v) from my WX Pro machine and let the Microsoft drivers
    > take care of AGP and IDE.
    >
    > Has anyone seen a FAQ or procedure on how to reliably do this?
    >
    > thanks

    Not really a bad move.

    I'm one of the (many) people who are having system stability issued
    with XP SP2 and the VIA 4i1 drivers.

    SP2 includes primitive support for the VIA chipsets (including AGP) so
    if I am able to remove the VIA drivers, XP will continue to run and
    boot.

    > Not really a bad move.
    >
    > I'm one of the (many) people who are having system stability issued
    > with XP SP2 and the VIA 4i1 drivers.
    >
    > SP2 includes primitive support for the VIA chipsets (including AGP) so
    > if I am able to remove the VIA drivers, XP will continue to run and
    > boot.

    ***************

    But you will NOT obtain optimal performance!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "phreak" <newsposter@mn.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Not really a bad move.
    >
    > I'm one of the (many) people who are having system stability issued
    > with XP SP2 and the VIA 4i1 drivers.
    >
    > SP2 includes primitive support for the VIA chipsets (including AGP) so
    > if I am able to remove the VIA drivers, XP will continue to run and
    > boot.

    I have worked on hundreds of computers with VIA chipsets and SP2 installed.
    None of them have any instability problems unless they have poorly designed
    motherboards and/or the manufacturer hasn't provided BIOS updates. Make sure
    your motherboard BIOS is up to date. For older VIA chipsets use the 4.43
    4in1 drivers. For newer chipsets use the 4.56v Hyperion 4in1 drivers. Use
    the latest driver from the chipset manufacturer (not the OEM supplier) of
    your video card. In every case except one this has solved the problem for
    me. A motherboard swap solved that problem.

    Another common problem I've seen with VIA chipsets is some motherboards
    using them are very particular about what ram you can use. This can cause
    instability when SP2 is installed. So far I've been able to diagnose this
    with memtest86+. Swapping to the Kingston recommended ram for the
    motherboard has always fixed this for me.

    Kerry

    The system has run memtest86 v3.2 for 12+ hours with no errors at 166,
    150, and 133 FSB (it's an Athlon XP 2600+). The BIOS is set to config
    the ram sticks with SPD. Problem (lockups and BSOD) occur with various
    combinations and numbers of the 4 ram sticks. The memory is IBM/Micron.

    Thw VIA Hyperione 4in1 chipset installer should also allow for the removal
    of the drivers (custom mode???).

    > The system has run memtest86 v3.2 for 12+ hours with no errors at 166,
    > 150, and 133 FSB (it's an Athlon XP 2600+). The BIOS is set to config
    > the ram sticks with SPD. Problem (lockups and BSOD) occur with various
    > combinations and numbers of the 4 ram sticks. The memory is IBM/Micron.

    What error with parameters is the BSOD?

    Kerry

    Hi,

    Are the ram sticks bought at the same time or at different time?
    The spec of the ram sticks may not be exactly matched even for the same
    brand and model but manufactured at different time.

    Also pls refer to the mobo user menu for how to arrange for the ram sticks
    to be inserted into the DIMM slots. Check for the ram sticks to ascertain
    they are double banked or single banked ram sticks.
    Some mobo accept double banked ram sticks in DIMM 0 & DIMM 1, then only
    single banked ram stick in DIMM 2 and DIMM 3 must be blank. Or double banked
    ram stick in DIMM 0 and single banked ram sticks in DIMM 1, 2 and 3.
    --
    Peter

    "phreak" wrote:

    > The system has run memtest86 v3.2 for 12+ hours with no errors at 166,
    > 150, and 133 FSB (it's an Athlon XP 2600+). The BIOS is set to config
    > the ram sticks with SPD. Problem (lockups and BSOD) occur with various
    > combinations and numbers of the 4 ram sticks. The memory is IBM/Micron.

Chipsets Drivers Microsoft Windows XP