Thinkpad laptop HDD freezes after installing SP2

Hi,
I have an older Thinkpad T21 with 384MB RAM and a standard ATA hard disk
drive.
Unfortunately, after installing SP2 and all drivers, my hard disk freezes,
which makes really frustrating using the system.
For example, when running Total Commander and opening a folder with many
files, I have to wait even 1 minute to get list of the files! And whole
system is slowing down and freezing until the program reads the data.
It's not only Total Commander's problem, but Windows Explorer, as well.

The hard disk is in perfect condition - I have the same problem on a newer
HP nx9020 and on all notebooks in company, furthermore, the IBM's hdd drive
was recently low-level formatted and has a fresh install of Windows XP
(because of the problems I am descripting here - just to check if the hdd is
ok). Also the HP service checked the hdd and said everything is ok.
Each laptop has all the latest patches and drivers.

Is this any bug in Windows, or perhaps all my company's laptops are out of
order - in same time??

P.S. All notebooks are using MS Windows XP Pro SP2 Polish Edition.

--
LadyRoot
no place like http://ChelloPL.one.pl

bar

You have different hardware makes and models, you have Windows XP and you
have Total Commander installed. All have the same 'exploring' problem.

Try uninstalling Total COmmander and see if the problem magically disappears
- I'm betting that it will.

"LadyRoot" <dyrekcja@chello.pl> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have an older Thinkpad T21 with 384MB RAM and a standard ATA hard disk
> drive.
> Unfortunately, after installing SP2 and all drivers, my hard disk freezes,
> which makes really frustrating using the system.
> For example, when running Total Commander and opening a folder with many
> files, I have to wait even 1 minute to get list of the files! And whole
> system is slowing down and freezing until the program reads the data.
> It's not only Total Commander's problem, but Windows Explorer, as well.
>
> The hard disk is in perfect condition - I have the same problem on a newer
> HP nx9020 and on all notebooks in company, furthermore, the IBM's hdd
> drive was recently low-level formatted and has a fresh install of Windows
> XP (because of the problems I am descripting here - just to check if the
> hdd is ok). Also the HP service checked the hdd and said everything is ok.
> Each laptop has all the latest patches and drivers.
>
> Is this any bug in Windows, or perhaps all my company's laptops are out of
> order - in same time??
>
> P.S. All notebooks are using MS Windows XP Pro SP2 Polish Edition.
>

> --
> LadyRoot
> no place like http://ChelloPL.one.pl

Are these computers on a network? If they are or have been connected to a
network open My Network Places and delete all the shortcuts. XP tries to
open all the network shortcuts when browsing. If some are not available it
can cause problems.

Kerry

> Try uninstalling Total COmmander and see if the problem magically
> disappears
> - I'm betting that it will.

No, it doesn't make any difference. Even on a fresh install of Windows and
SP2 and the critical updates and drivers it happens again.
I tried not to install some updates, but it makes no difference. The SP2
installation makes problems :/

--
LadyRoot
no place like http://ChelloPL.one.pl

> Are these computers on a network? If they are or have been connected to a
> network open My Network Places and delete all the shortcuts. XP tries to
> open all the network shortcuts when browsing. If some are not available it
> can cause problems.
>
> Kerry

No. My thinkpad is directly connected to internet, the HP one is never
connected to network - updates were downloaded and brought on CD. F-prot and
Norton Antivirus reported nothing.
None of the above laptops were ever connected to corporate network (LAN,
ActiveDirectory, Samba).

--

>> Are these computers on a network? If they are or have been connected to a
>> network open My Network Places and delete all the shortcuts. XP tries to
>> open all the network shortcuts when browsing. If some are not available
>> it can cause problems.
>>
>> Kerry
>>
> No. My thinkpad is directly connected to internet, the HP one is never
> connected to network - updates were downloaded and brought on CD. F-prot
> and Norton Antivirus reported nothing.
> None of the above laptops were ever connected to corporate network (LAN,
> ActiveDirectory, Samba).
>

> --
> LadyRoot
> no place like http://ChelloPL.one.pl

It's not a common problem but you are having it on two different computers.
This means there is something in common between both computers causing the
problem. I would suspect some software package. Other than that I'm out of
ideas.

Kerry

Just an idea - are al the systems on their latest BIOS? IBM specially is
good at frequent updates - there may be 2 elements the BIOS and the bus
controller firmware if I remember correctly.

LadyRoot wrote:
> Hi,
> I have an older Thinkpad T21 with 384MB RAM and a standard ATA hard disk
> drive.
> Unfortunately, after installing SP2 and all drivers, my hard disk
> freezes, which makes really frustrating using the system.
> For example, when running Total Commander and opening a folder with many
> files, I have to wait even 1 minute to get list of the files! And whole
> system is slowing down and freezing until the program reads the data.
> It's not only Total Commander's problem, but Windows Explorer, as well.
>
> The hard disk is in perfect condition - I have the same problem on a
> newer HP nx9020 and on all notebooks in company, furthermore, the IBM's
> hdd drive was recently low-level formatted and has a fresh install of
> Windows XP (because of the problems I am descripting here - just to
> check if the hdd is ok). Also the HP service checked the hdd and said
> everything is ok.
> Each laptop has all the latest patches and drivers.
>
> Is this any bug in Windows, or perhaps all my company's laptops are out
> of order - in same time??
>
> P.S. All notebooks are using MS Windows XP Pro SP2 Polish Edition.

> It's not a common problem but you are having it on two different
> computers. This means there is something in common between both computers
> causing the problem. I would suspect some software package. Other than
> that I'm out of ideas.
>
> Kerry

The only common software is Windows XP with its updates.
On my Thinkpad I use Windows, Total Commander, Visual C++ 6 and an IRC
client. On the HP one there is Windows (fresh install) and MS Office 2000
Premium with Developer Tools. The second one freezes when using Windows
Explorer...

--

>> It's not a common problem but you are having it on two different
>> computers. This means there is something in common between both computers
>> causing the problem. I would suspect some software package. Other than
>> that I'm out of ideas.
>>
>> Kerry
>>

> The only common software is Windows XP with its updates.
> On my Thinkpad I use Windows, Total Commander, Visual C++ 6 and an IRC
> client. On the HP one there is Windows (fresh install) and MS Office 2000
> Premium with Developer Tools. The second one freezes when using Windows
> Explorer...

In another post you mention you are a computer professionalist (sp?). If you
were you would have a more open mind about diagnosing computer problems. In
this case the methodology is simple. Find a repeatable way to cause the
problem so you can test for it. Check with the manufacturer if the original
hardware is compatible with SP2. If it is, then disconnect/remove anything
that did not come with the computer as it shipped originally. Repartition
and format the boot partition on that computer. Run the factory restore
procedure. Test for the problem. Install SP2. Test for the problem. Install
windows updates one at a time. Test for the problem after installing each
one. Install latest hardware drivers. Test for the problem after installing
each one. Now that the computer has the OS installed properly install your
programs one at a time testing after each one. It's a simple if mindnumbing
procedure. If you skip any steps you'll never find out the cause of your
problem. The key is to test for the problem after each step during the
install. This will tell you where the problem lies. Then you have to figure
out if whatever is causing the problem has an update so it works with SP2.
Do not install any software until you have the OS installed properly. This
includes antivirus, firewalls etc. so you must be behind a router or
hardware firewall when doing this.

A computer professional would know all this so I'm assuming you have done
this. In that case both computers are defective.

Kerry

> Just an idea - are al the systems on their latest BIOS? IBM specially is
> good at frequent updates - there may be 2 elements the BIOS and the bus
> controller firmware if I remember correctly.

Yes, I am a computer profesionalist and I do my updates very often.
Everything is up-to-date.

--
LadyRoot
no place like http://ChelloPL.one.pl

Well,
do you think I didn't spent few nights trying to solve the problem?
I know the problem occures ONLY after installing SP2 and latest updates on
some laptops. All of them are in perfect condition.
I wouldn't write any posts here, but posts like mine occured recently in
some Polish newsgroups, so the problem is not only mine (and I doubt all
laptops in Poland are suddenly corrupted).
I always install updates from Microsoft manually, so I also checked many
combinations (which to install firs, which last), but found no solution.

greetings

--

> Well,
> do you think I didn't spent few nights trying to solve the problem?
> I know the problem occures ONLY after installing SP2 and latest updates on
> some laptops. All of them are in perfect condition.
> I wouldn't write any posts here, but posts like mine occured recently in
> some Polish newsgroups, so the problem is not only mine (and I doubt all
> laptops in Poland are suddenly corrupted).
> I always install updates from Microsoft manually, so I also checked many
> combinations (which to install firs, which last), but found no solution.
>
> greetings
>

> --
> LadyRoot
> no place like http://ChelloPL.one.pl

Did you disconnect/remove all non original hardware then reinstall
everything one step at a time testing after each step? If you have, then the
computers are defective or not compatible with SP2. If you haven't, then you
have some work ahead of you. Finding and solving problems like this is a
straight forward procedure with no shortcuts. You have to eliminate all the
variables one step at a time. It takes time and a repeatable procedure, not
a lot of skill or knowledge. It also takes time spent diagnosing problems
like this to realise that their are no shortcuts. It may be something in the
Polish version of Windows, something common to laptops distributed in
Poland, who knows what the problem is. Starting from scratch and testing
after every step will tell you what is actually causing the problem. Once
you know the cause it is usually easier to find a solution.

Kerry

> Did you disconnect/remove all non original hardware then reinstall
> everything one step at a time testing after each step? If you have, then
> the computers are defective or not compatible with SP2.

Yep. SP2 is the problem. However, only in Polish edition of XP.
I have found an international-English edition of Win XP and installed first
on Thinkpad, then on HP. And none of my problems occured.
Question is, if using system without SP2 is quite safe and computer is
stable. Especially the one I use with Internet connection.

greetz

--

>> Did you disconnect/remove all non original hardware then reinstall
>> everything one step at a time testing after each step? If you have, then
>> the computers are defective or not compatible with SP2.
>
> Yep. SP2 is the problem. However, only in Polish edition of XP.
> I have found an international-English edition of Win XP and installed
> first on Thinkpad, then on HP. And none of my problems occured.
> Question is, if using system without SP2 is quite safe and computer is
> stable. Especially the one I use with Internet connection.
>
> greetz
>

> --
> LadyRoot
> no place like http://ChelloPL.one.pl

Did the laptops come with the Polish version of Windows? If so I would
contact the manufacturers and see if they have a fix. If it is a retail
version of Windows I would contact Microsoft. In the meantime make sure you
have a software firewall and antivirus program running if using SP1. Make
sure Internet Explorer has all the updates or run Firefox or Netscape as
your browser.

Many European language copies of Windows originated from counterfeit
sources. I hate to ask but are the Polish versions you have counterfeit? It
may be that SP2 doesn't work with hacked copies of Windows. My apologies in
advance if the copies are legitimate.

Kerry

> Many European language copies of Windows originated from counterfeit
> sources. I hate to ask but are the Polish versions you have counterfeit?
> It may be that SP2 doesn't work with hacked copies of Windows. My
> apologies in advance if the copies are legitimate.

Hehe no problem.
Well the problem is ONLY on legal versions of MS Windows, as I noticed until
now ;)))
It is funny, but maybe MS knowing of so meny innegal copies tested SP2 also
on innlegl one? ;)))
But the fact is I have only legal software installed.

greetz

--

>> Many European language copies of Windows originated from counterfeit
>> sources. I hate to ask but are the Polish versions you have counterfeit?
>> It may be that SP2 doesn't work with hacked copies of Windows. My
>> apologies in advance if the copies are legitimate.
>
> Hehe no problem.
> Well the problem is ONLY on legal versions of MS Windows, as I noticed
> until now ;)))
> It is funny, but maybe MS knowing of so meny innegal copies tested SP2
> also on innlegl one? ;)))
> But the fact is I have only legal software installed.
>
> greetz
>

> --
> LadyRoot

:)

Had to ask. It's a common problem. Are you using the Polish version for SP2?
I can't read Polish but this link has a different version than English.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=pl&FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a

Kerry

> no place like http://ChelloPL.one.pl

> Had to ask. It's a common problem. Are you using the Polish version for
> SP2? I can't read Polish but this link has a different version than
> English.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=pl&FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a

This is the link of Polish SP2 for IT Proffesionals to download. I have this
file downloaded and installed.

greetings

--

>> Had to ask. It's a common problem. Are you using the Polish version for
>> SP2? I can't read Polish but this link has a different version than
>> English.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=pl&FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a
>>

> This is the link of Polish SP2 for IT Proffesionals to download. I have
> this file downloaded and installed.
>
> greetings
>

> --
> LadyRoot
> no place like http://ChelloPL.one.pl

Looks like you've done everything right. I'd report the problem to the OEM
supplier or Microsoft (whichever is appropriate). Maybe they have a
solution.

Kerry

> Looks like you've done everything right. I'd report the problem to the OEM
> supplier or Microsoft (whichever is appropriate). Maybe they have a
> solution.

Thank you, I hope I will finally solve the problem either myself or with any
manufacturer's help.