No Safe Mode DVI video from Radeon 7000

When I got an LCD monitor, I also replaced the original video card in
my Dell Dimension 4600 with a Radeon 7000 chipset video card with
DVI/svga/TV output. It works great. However, I just tried running in
Safe Mode for the first time. I get a normal boot as far as I can
tell. My monitor light shows green, meaning it is getting video
signal. But the screen is black.

If I switch cables to svga and boot in Safe Mode, I get regular VGA
video on my monitor.

Anyone know why there is no non-black video signal in Safe Mode with
DVI output? Any way to fix?

Windows XP Pro, sp2.

If your monitor could it would say, "Frequency Out of Range." On a lot
of these new LCD monitors you cannot properly see safe mode because the
resolution is actually too low for the monitor. You would have to
enable VGA mode to use safe mode.

--
RajePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Enable VGA mode is a different boot menu choice from Safe Mode. But
does choosing Enable VGA mode also invoke Safe Mode?

In any case, I thought that Safe Mode automatically opened in VGA
mode. It does on my system when I'm using the SVGA cable from my video
card to my monitor. It's only when I use the DVI cable from the same
video card to the same monitor that I have the problem.