P4VTP Memory Issues

If anyone can help me on this I would greatly appreciate it. Soyo tech
support has always been spotty in my experience. I built this computer
from a bare bones setup I purchased from soyo. It was a case, 350w
power supply and a P4VTP board. I added a 512 stick of PC3200, and a
P4 3.2E processor (also a vid card and drives, but that's all fine). I
found out that the large FSB of the "E" was incompatible with the board
so it only runs at 2.8ghz. This was fine with me and I installed XP
and everything worked well. Then I tried to upgrade my memory by
adding a 2nd 512 stick of PC3200. It works... until I get the blue
screen of death. This usually occurs after I spend some time on the
computer or I'm running RAM hungry programs (i.e. games). This leads
me to believe it is having trouble reading a certain sector of the
memory and it is up to chance as to when that error will occur. I
e-mailed soyo and I haven't had a response yet. I'm on my 2nd brand of
memory for the stick, this time PNY, a soyo approved brand. My
original working stick was Simpletech. I figure it can't have a
conflict because it's been working for months. If anyone has any help
or at least a reason why I'm having touble, I would love to hear it.
Thank you.

DaveJ

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2004

Cow1578 wrote:
> If anyone can help me on this I would greatly appreciate it. Soyo
tech
> support has always been spotty in my experience. I built this
computer
> from a bare bones setup I purchased from soyo. It was a case, 350w
> power supply and a P4VTP board. I added a 512 stick of PC3200, and a
> P4 3.2E processor (also a vid card and drives, but that's all fine).
> found out that the large FSB of the "E" was incompatible with the
board
> so it only runs at 2.8ghz. This was fine with me and I installed XP
> and everything worked well. Then I tried to upgrade my memory by
> adding a 2nd 512 stick of PC3200. It works... until I get the blue
> screen of death. This usually occurs after I spend some time on the
> computer or I'm running RAM hungry programs (i.e. games). This leads
> me to believe it is having trouble reading a certain sector of the
> memory and it is up to chance as to when that error will occur. I
> e-mailed soyo and I haven't had a response yet. I'm on my 2nd brand
of
> memory for the stick, this time PNY, a soyo approved brand. My
> original working stick was Simpletech. I figure it can't have a
> conflict because it's been working for months. If anyone has any
help
> or at least a reason why I'm having touble, I would love to hear it.
> Thank you.

memory voltage or timing issue. Be patient and play with it eventually
you will hit the sweet spot.

Cow1578 wrote:
> If anyone can help me on this I would greatly appreciate it. Soyo
tech
> support has always been spotty in my experience. I built this
computer
> from a bare bones setup I purchased from soyo. It was a case, 350w
> power supply and a P4VTP board. I added a 512 stick of PC3200, and a
> P4 3.2E processor (also a vid card and drives, but that's all fine).
> found out that the large FSB of the "E" was incompatible with the
board
> so it only runs at 2.8ghz. This was fine with me and I installed XP
> and everything worked well. Then I tried to upgrade my memory by
> adding a 2nd 512 stick of PC3200. It works... until I get the blue
> screen of death. This usually occurs after I spend some time on the
> computer or I'm running RAM hungry programs (i.e. games). This leads
> me to believe it is having trouble reading a certain sector of the
> memory and it is up to chance as to when that error will occur. I
> e-mailed soyo and I haven't had a response yet. I'm on my 2nd brand
of
> memory for the stick, this time PNY, a soyo approved brand. My
> original working stick was Simpletech. I figure it can't have a
> conflict because it's been working for months. If anyone has any
help
> or at least a reason why I'm having touble, I would love to hear it.
> Thank you.

Well first your cpu could be causing the problem. Your motherboard
wasn't intended to use the E series 1mb L2 cache. It does support the
800Mhz Northwood which only had a 512mb cache and if you used one it
would register at 3.2Ghz. You must remember that all your programs are
using this cache memory on the cpu. Since your motherboard doesn't
support this large cache size it could be your memory error problem.
The cpu running at the incorrect speed shows there is a problem.
Unfortunatly the only way to confirm this problem is by changing one of
the two (cpu or motherboard).

Ok, but if the processor was the problem, why would the original 512
stick work?

Who knows, memory error problems cause many strange things to happen.
But you already know you have one major problem with your system and
thats from running an unsupported hardware part.

Till you correct this problem you can't even begin to address any other
problems, "IF" it continues to be a problem.

IF you didn't have the memory cache problem you could try running
memory testing software. But with the cache problem its going to show
errors in memory due the cache memory not being correct and readable by
your motherboard. There is no way you can limit the cpu to only using
1/2 of its cache.

You need to correct this problem, your trying to put a square in a
round hole. Even if your happy it works at 2.8Ghz. Your lucky it works
at all.