Drivers Fail to Reload After Redetection of Hardware Device

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I have a problem with a Windows XP install. The USB ports have failed to
work properly after I did a fresh install of Windows XP. Windows XP is up to
the latest service level, the BIOS on the machine is up to the latest
release. Everything looked fine in device manager but when I plug in a USB
device the device shows up in Device Manager (DM) as an Unknown Device. No
USB devices work. When I uninstalled the Device and let Windows redetect and
load the drivers it failed and now the USB Hubs are Unknown Devices. I
disabled the on board USB and plugged in a a PCI USB card and got the same
behaivor. When I plugged the PCI USB card into another system the card was
imediately detected, the native WinXP drivers loaded automatically, and the
card functioned wonderfully. Any clues as to what service, maybe PNP, is not
running on my problem install?

-John

Did you go into cmos setup and enable usb?

--
PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

"John" wrote:
> I have a problem with a Windows XP install. The USB ports have
> failed to
> work properly after I did a fresh install of Windows XP.
> Windows XP is up to
> the latest service level, the BIOS on the machine is up to the
> latest
> release. Everything looked fine in device manager but when I
> plug in a USB
> device the device shows up in Device Manager (DM) as an
> Unknown Device. No
> USB devices work. When I uninstalled the Device and let
> Windows redetect and
> load the drivers it failed and now the USB Hubs are Unknown
> Devices. I
> disabled the on board USB and plugged in a a PCI USB card and
> got the same
> behaivor. When I plugged the PCI USB card into another system
> the card was
> imediately detected, the native WinXP drivers loaded
> automatically, and the
> card functioned wonderfully. Any clues as to what service,
> maybe PNP, is not
> running on my problem install?
>
> -John

I too have a similar problem. Everytime I plug in my SD memory card
reader it asks for the driver disk. After I put in the driver disk
and reinstall the drivers the card reader works fine. But after I
restart my computer it asks for the drivers again. For some reason it
is not holding the plug and play drivers in the system. I am still
working on a solution. If I find one I will post it. Any ideas
anyone?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-Drivers-Fail-Reload-Redetection-Device-ftopict375982.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1227270

tannex

"John" wrote:
> I have a problem with a Windows XP install. The USB ports have
> failed to
> work properly after I did a fresh install of Windows XP.
> Windows XP is up to
> the latest service level, the BIOS on the machine is up to the
> latest
> release. Everything looked fine in device manager but when I
> plug in a USB
> device the device shows up in Device Manager (DM) as an
> Unknown Device. No
> USB devices work. When I uninstalled the Device and let
> Windows redetect and
> load the drivers it failed and now the USB Hubs are Unknown
> Devices. I
> disabled the on board USB and plugged in a a PCI USB card and
> got the same
> behaivor. When I plugged the PCI USB card into another system
> the card was
> imediately detected, the native WinXP drivers loaded
> automatically, and the
> card functioned wonderfully. Any clues as to what service,
> maybe PNP, is not
> running on my problem install?
>
> -John

I too have a similar problem. Everytime I plug in my SD memory card
reader it asks for the driver disk. After I put in the driver disk
and reinstall the drivers the card reader works fine. But after I
restart my computer it asks for the drivers again. For some reason it
is not holding the plug and play drivers in the system. I am still
working on a solution. If I find one I will post it. Any ideas
anyone?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-Drivers-Fail-Reload-Redetection-Device-ftopict375982.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1227270

This Problem is quite often on ASUS mainboards with SiS chipset... what i did to mine is on device manager i disabled SiS USB Enhanced Host Controller.. then its finally working.. just right click on it and select disable.. if a restart is needed then do so.. after that your good to go..