SY-P4I865PE Plus Dragon 2 V1.0 onboard lan problems!

I recently put my computer together. Everything works fine except the
lan connection. There are no extra cards in the mobo besides the XFX
FF5500 video card. My cable connection works fine when I use it on my
laptop but when i plug it into my Dragon it says little to no
connection on the system tray icon. I dont know what to do. Lan is
enableb in Bios. I even reinstalled windows. If any has had this
problem please let me know how you solved it.

Carlos
8 answers Last reply
More about p4i865pe dragon onboard problems

    First what operating system are you using Carlos? How did you setup
    your connection? With a cable connection you could have possibly two
    different types of service. You could have a fixed IP or automaticly
    obtained IP. You should first call your internet provider and make sure
    your connection is setup properly. If the laptop was connected first
    the cable modem may have obtained the lan info from it and it just
    doesn't work when you switched it to the second computer.

    If you already have figured out it is a bad NIC on the motherboard you
    can do as Doug said and simply replace the NIC with a PCI network card.
    Also follow his instructions on disabiling the onboard NIC. You don't
    have to worry about WinXP, what Doug refered to as a high point value
    is WinXP HAL and thats to prevent you from using the same operating
    system on more then one computer. A single change in hardware will not
    affect HAL it only kicks in when it detects mass changes in hardware
    which would happen if you tried to just take the hard drive and put it
    in a new system that was completely different in terms of hardware. But
    you should know that if your using a router with your internet service
    and you get the low connectivity warning it just means its not setup
    correctly.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    Yes I am using WINXP. I have cable internet that comes it trough the
    cable modem then out into my computers nic. i can switch my connection
    back and forth with my other computers and even on my friends laptop
    with no problem. So i know its defenitley the mobo. When istalling XP
    it I inputed the lan connetion that says i am always connected to the
    lan. I noticed that my ISP(roadrunner) always gives me the same ISP
    reguardless of whos computer i am using with my connection. For
    example i'm using that connection right now to send this info but as
    soon as i plug into the soyo mobo it doesnt work.

    I'll keep trying. I noticed on other message boards that people have
    been having bad luck with soyo onboard ethernet.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    Yes I've seen that as well, but have only had one go bad for me and it
    was due to a lightning strike.

    Just pick up one at a computer store they don't cost much at all.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    I had exactly the same problem. It was easier to buy a $10 NIC at Best Buy
    than to RMA the board back to NewEgg.com. If you do this, you'll have to
    disable the onboard LAN Connection in the BIOS. Also, if you are using
    Windows XP, it might give you a problem if you've already registered it. XP
    does a hardware survey during boot and compares it to the prior survey to
    detect changes. The NIC has a high "point" value assigned to it, and may
    flag your XP installation. When it happened to me, a call to the M$
    registation line solved it.

    doug

    "mcvargas" <mywebjunk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I recently put my computer together. Everything works fine except the
    > lan connection. There are no extra cards in the mobo besides the XFX
    > FF5500 video card. My cable connection works fine when I use it on my
    > laptop but when i plug it into my Dragon it says little to no
    > connection on the system tray icon. I dont know what to do. Lan is
    > enableb in Bios. I even reinstalled windows. If any has had this
    > problem please let me know how you solved it.
    >
    > Carlos

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    Ok i got a D link DFE-530TX+ from Best Buy. I turned off the onboard
    enthernet. installed the pci ethernet card and powered down my modem.
    I waited about 5 minutes and powered up my modem and when i restarted
    it read my pci card and i was connected to the net. But for some
    reason its extremely slow. I hope it gets better after a few days. if
    not this mobo is going to the grave and i'll get an abit board.

    Carlos
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    While Carlos may not have to worry about it now, by changing the network
    card, he should be aware of the WPA - Windows Product Activation (not HAL,
    the Hardware Abstraction Layer). Listed below are the 10 components that are
    identified:

    CPU serial number
    CPU model number/type
    Amount of RAM in the system
    Graphics adapter hardware ID string
    Hard drive hardware ID string
    SCSI host hardware ID string (if present)
    Integrated development environment controller hardware ID string
    MAC address of your network adapter
    CD-ROM drive hardware identification string
    Whether the system is a dockable unit (e.g. a notebook) or not

    Each of these is given a point value of 1, except for the MAC address, which
    is 3. At each boot, these components are checked, and must add up to at
    least 7 points (out of 11, 12 with SCSI). If the MAC is changed, he's down
    to 8. Change the RAM amount, upgrade the CD or DVD, and/or install a hotter
    video card - gotcha!

    <j.burghdoff@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > First what operating system are you using Carlos? How did you setup
    > your connection? With a cable connection you could have possibly two
    > different types of service. You could have a fixed IP or automaticly
    > obtained IP. You should first call your internet provider and make sure
    > your connection is setup properly. If the laptop was connected first
    > the cable modem may have obtained the lan info from it and it just
    > doesn't work when you switched it to the second computer.
    >
    > If you already have figured out it is a bad NIC on the motherboard you
    > can do as Doug said and simply replace the NIC with a PCI network card.
    > Also follow his instructions on disabiling the onboard NIC. You don't
    > have to worry about WinXP, what Doug refered to as a high point value
    > is WinXP HAL and thats to prevent you from using the same operating
    > system on more then one computer. A single change in hardware will not
    > affect HAL it only kicks in when it detects mass changes in hardware
    > which would happen if you tried to just take the hard drive and put it
    > in a new system that was completely different in terms of hardware. But
    > you should know that if your using a router with your internet service
    > and you get the low connectivity warning it just means its not setup
    > correctly.

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    "mcvargas" <mywebjunk@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1108225616.719099.242330
    @l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

    > I recently put my computer together. Everything works fine except the
    > lan connection. There are no extra cards in the mobo besides the XFX
    > FF5500 video card. My cable connection works fine when I use it on my
    > laptop but when i plug it into my Dragon it says little to no
    > connection on the system tray icon. I dont know what to do. Lan is
    > enableb in Bios. I even reinstalled windows. If any has had this
    > problem please let me know how you solved it.
    >
    > Carlos

    I have a similar problem, but with the P4I875P Platinum board. Originally
    I had a problem with the board not booting...after 9 months of no
    problems. So I RMA'd the board and when I got the replacement board
    installed I could not connect to my home network or the internet. I tried
    everything, even reinstalling the OS (WinXP Pro) with no success. I did
    find out that When it was set to AutoDetect or 100Mbit it would fail, but
    it would work at 10Mbit. So I RMA'd it again. Soyo tested it out and said
    that it worked at 10, 100 and 1000Mbit and that it must be something
    else.

    Needless to say that I just put in a 100Mbit PCI card and said screw it.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    Yes I have heard of your problem Bytor. It had to do with the 1000Mbit
    support of your onboard NIC. In auto detect it kept trying to connect
    at 1000Mbit and that screwed up the connection. Because most cable and
    DSL services still don't support the 1000Mb standard. The simple fix
    was to manually set it to what your internet provider used. It might
    also help Carlos as well. Most cable internet providers use the 100Mb
    full duplex standard.

LAN Connection Motherboards