SY-P4I865PE Plus Dragon 2 V1.0 onboard lan problems!

Tags:
  • LAN
  • Connection
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
February 12, 2005 11:26:56 AM

I recently put my computer together. Everything works fine except the
lan connection. There are no extra cards in the mobo besides the XFX
FF5500 video card. My cable connection works fine when I use it on my
laptop but when i plug it into my Dragon it says little to no
connection on the system tray icon. I dont know what to do. Lan is
enableb in Bios. I even reinstalled windows. If any has had this
problem please let me know how you solved it.

Carlos

More about : p4i865pe dragon onboard lan problems

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 12, 2005 12:57:06 PM

First what operating system are you using Carlos? How did you setup
your connection? With a cable connection you could have possibly two
different types of service. You could have a fixed IP or automaticly
obtained IP. You should first call your internet provider and make sure
your connection is setup properly. If the laptop was connected first
the cable modem may have obtained the lan info from it and it just
doesn't work when you switched it to the second computer.

If you already have figured out it is a bad NIC on the motherboard you
can do as Doug said and simply replace the NIC with a PCI network card.
Also follow his instructions on disabiling the onboard NIC. You don't
have to worry about WinXP, what Doug refered to as a high point value
is WinXP HAL and thats to prevent you from using the same operating
system on more then one computer. A single change in hardware will not
affect HAL it only kicks in when it detects mass changes in hardware
which would happen if you tried to just take the hard drive and put it
in a new system that was completely different in terms of hardware. But
you should know that if your using a router with your internet service
and you get the low connectivity warning it just means its not setup
correctly.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 12, 2005 2:02:18 PM

Yes I am using WINXP. I have cable internet that comes it trough the
cable modem then out into my computers nic. i can switch my connection
back and forth with my other computers and even on my friends laptop
with no problem. So i know its defenitley the mobo. When istalling XP
it I inputed the lan connetion that says i am always connected to the
lan. I noticed that my ISP(roadrunner) always gives me the same ISP
reguardless of whos computer i am using with my connection. For
example i'm using that connection right now to send this info but as
soon as i plug into the soyo mobo it doesnt work.

I'll keep trying. I noticed on other message boards that people have
been having bad luck with soyo onboard ethernet.
a b V Motherboard
February 12, 2005 2:38:37 PM

Yes I've seen that as well, but have only had one go bad for me and it
was due to a lightning strike.

Just pick up one at a computer store they don't cost much at all.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 12, 2005 3:25:11 PM

I had exactly the same problem. It was easier to buy a $10 NIC at Best Buy
than to RMA the board back to NewEgg.com. If you do this, you'll have to
disable the onboard LAN Connection in the BIOS. Also, if you are using
Windows XP, it might give you a problem if you've already registered it. XP
does a hardware survey during boot and compares it to the prior survey to
detect changes. The NIC has a high "point" value assigned to it, and may
flag your XP installation. When it happened to me, a call to the M$
registation line solved it.

doug

"mcvargas" <mywebjunk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I recently put my computer together. Everything works fine except the
> lan connection. There are no extra cards in the mobo besides the XFX
> FF5500 video card. My cable connection works fine when I use it on my
> laptop but when i plug it into my Dragon it says little to no
> connection on the system tray icon. I dont know what to do. Lan is
> enableb in Bios. I even reinstalled windows. If any has had this
> problem please let me know how you solved it.
>
> Carlos

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 12, 2005 4:04:40 PM

Ok i got a D link DFE-530TX+ from Best Buy. I turned off the onboard
enthernet. installed the pci ethernet card and powered down my modem.
I waited about 5 minutes and powered up my modem and when i restarted
it read my pci card and i was connected to the net. But for some
reason its extremely slow. I hope it gets better after a few days. if
not this mobo is going to the grave and i'll get an abit board.

Carlos
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 12, 2005 10:55:11 PM

While Carlos may not have to worry about it now, by changing the network
card, he should be aware of the WPA - Windows Product Activation (not HAL,
the Hardware Abstraction Layer). Listed below are the 10 components that are
identified:

CPU serial number
CPU model number/type
Amount of RAM in the system
Graphics adapter hardware ID string
Hard drive hardware ID string
SCSI host hardware ID string (if present)
Integrated development environment controller hardware ID string
MAC address of your network adapter
CD-ROM drive hardware identification string
Whether the system is a dockable unit (e.g. a notebook) or not

Each of these is given a point value of 1, except for the MAC address, which
is 3. At each boot, these components are checked, and must add up to at
least 7 points (out of 11, 12 with SCSI). If the MAC is changed, he's down
to 8. Change the RAM amount, upgrade the CD or DVD, and/or install a hotter
video card - gotcha!

<j.burghdoff@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> First what operating system are you using Carlos? How did you setup
> your connection? With a cable connection you could have possibly two
> different types of service. You could have a fixed IP or automaticly
> obtained IP. You should first call your internet provider and make sure
> your connection is setup properly. If the laptop was connected first
> the cable modem may have obtained the lan info from it and it just
> doesn't work when you switched it to the second computer.
>
> If you already have figured out it is a bad NIC on the motherboard you
> can do as Doug said and simply replace the NIC with a PCI network card.
> Also follow his instructions on disabiling the onboard NIC. You don't
> have to worry about WinXP, what Doug refered to as a high point value
> is WinXP HAL and thats to prevent you from using the same operating
> system on more then one computer. A single change in hardware will not
> affect HAL it only kicks in when it detects mass changes in hardware
> which would happen if you tried to just take the hard drive and put it
> in a new system that was completely different in terms of hardware. But
> you should know that if your using a router with your internet service
> and you get the low connectivity warning it just means its not setup
> correctly.

February 14, 2005 6:10:28 AM

"mcvargas" <mywebjunk@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1108225616.719099.242330
@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> I recently put my computer together. Everything works fine except the
> lan connection. There are no extra cards in the mobo besides the XFX
> FF5500 video card. My cable connection works fine when I use it on my
> laptop but when i plug it into my Dragon it says little to no
> connection on the system tray icon. I dont know what to do. Lan is
> enableb in Bios. I even reinstalled windows. If any has had this
> problem please let me know how you solved it.
>
> Carlos

I have a similar problem, but with the P4I875P Platinum board. Originally
I had a problem with the board not booting...after 9 months of no
problems. So I RMA'd the board and when I got the replacement board
installed I could not connect to my home network or the internet. I tried
everything, even reinstalling the OS (WinXP Pro) with no success. I did
find out that When it was set to AutoDetect or 100Mbit it would fail, but
it would work at 10Mbit. So I RMA'd it again. Soyo tested it out and said
that it worked at 10, 100 and 1000Mbit and that it must be something
else.

Needless to say that I just put in a 100Mbit PCI card and said screw it.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 14, 2005 10:33:36 AM

Yes I have heard of your problem Bytor. It had to do with the 1000Mbit
support of your onboard NIC. In auto detect it kept trying to connect
at 1000Mbit and that screwed up the connection. Because most cable and
DSL services still don't support the 1000Mb standard. The simple fix
was to manually set it to what your internet provider used. It might
also help Carlos as well. Most cable internet providers use the 100Mb
full duplex standard.
!