Replacing a proprietary power supply on a Gateway 510X

Ryan

I am attempting to replace a proprietary power supply on my Gateway 510X,
which uses a Bestec power supply.

What are my options for replacing with another power supply? What should I
look for when doing this? I want to replace the power supply myself, but
want to make sure I do it right.

I want to go to Newegg.com rather than Gateway for the actual power supply.

Thanks.

Measure the size of the power supply and get an ATX power
supply with the same dimensions.

New Egg is a good company, but if their customer service
can't get you what you want, try a company that specializes
in power suppliers, Antec www.antec-inc.com and
PC Power and Cooling http://www.pcpowercooling.com/ would be
good places to try.

some support

"Ryan" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:uWLj1C1XFHA.2664@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

Ryan wrote:
> I am attempting to replace a proprietary power supply on my Gateway 510X,
> which uses a Bestec power supply.
>
> What are my options for replacing with another power supply? What should I
> look for when doing this? I want to replace the power supply myself, but
> want to make sure I do it right.
>
> I want to go to Newegg.com rather than Gateway for the actual power supply.
>
> Thanks.

You can either buy a replacement power supply from PC Power and Cooling
that is made for your Dell or you could buy an adapter cable (about $20)
and a regular power supply. The first option has fewer points of
failure and fewer cables to mess with. The second option may be cheaper
and will allow you to use whatever power supply you like.

Ryan

Michael,

This is for a Gateway, not Dell. Can you please read again?

"Michael W. Ryder" <_mwryder@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Ryan wrote:
>> I am attempting to replace a proprietary power supply on my Gateway 510X,
>> which uses a Bestec power supply.
>>
>> What are my options for replacing with another power supply? What should
>> I look for when doing this? I want to replace the power supply myself,
>> but want to make sure I do it right.
>>
>> I want to go to Newegg.com rather than Gateway for the actual power
>> supply.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> You can either buy a replacement power supply from PC Power and Cooling
> that is made for your Dell or you could buy an adapter cable (about $20)
> and a regular power supply. The first option has fewer points of failure
> and fewer cables to mess with. The second option may be cheaper and will
> allow you to use whatever power supply you like.

br549

Try googling for Bestec power supply, it looks like it can be had at many
places. You could remove it and take it to someplace like CompUSA and try
and get a replacement that will fit.