Firewire Plug and Play broken - Help!

Hi there

I have been using 2 firewire external hard disks and a sound module for a
few months now without any problem. I have a Win XP Pentium 4 Desktop
Service Pack 2 etc, all up-to-date.

Now, all of a sudden the computer won't detect them.

The hard disks still work fine using USB2 on my faulty desktop and work fine
over Firewire on my laptop, so the hardware isn't faulty.

I can even network the desktop to my laptop, no problem. The computer
reports the Firewire card is working and I even bought a new card, thinking
that was the problem.

It seems that the 'Plug and Play' detection is broken and I haven't found
any help on the net. I don't really want to reinstall XP if I can help it.

Hope someone out there can help me!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Go to the Device Manager and remove your Firewire Card then restart your
computer and let XP reinstall the drivers or have your driver cd handy in
case XP doesn't have the drivers for your card.

--
Good Day
River Rat

"QBAse" <Qbase@qbase.com> wrote in message
Hi there

I have been using 2 firewire external hard disks and a sound module for a
few months now without any problem. I have a Win XP Pentium 4 Desktop
Service Pack 2 etc, all up-to-date.

Now, all of a sudden the computer won't detect them.

The hard disks still work fine using USB2 on my faulty desktop and work fine
over Firewire on my laptop, so the hardware isn't faulty.

I can even network the desktop to my laptop, no problem. The computer
reports the Firewire card is working and I even bought a new card, thinking
that was the problem.

It seems that the 'Plug and Play' detection is broken and I haven't found
any help on the net. I don't really want to reinstall XP if I can help it.

Hope someone out there can help me!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Hi River Rat

I tried that when it first happened. I even swapped the card into a
different slot. The card itself works (it shows up in Device Manager and I
can network 2 PCs together with it) but when I insert a firewire device no
detection seems to occur.