Windows does not complete start up

Bobby

Hey, Hi there everyone, I might have deleted some files on my laptop and now
windows wont start, there were some win32 files if i remember correctly, i
was trying to quarantine them but ended up deletein them.
Is there any one who can help me solve this problem? Is there any thing i
can do besides formatting my hard disk as i really dont want to.
also is there a cable or something i can get to transfer the files to
another computer if i take the hard drive out?

Greetings

If you can remove the laptop hard drive, you can get a "converter" that
conects to the end of the laptop drive and makes it (via the other end of
the converter) pluggable to a regular IDE cable for desktop computers. You
can then plug it into your desktop and then start your computer. The laptop
drive should be available under My Computer.

The converter essentially is a 2.5 IDE to a 3.5 IDE converter.

Here is a link:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=294956&pfp=cat3

Hope this helps
Albatross Singh

"Bobby" <Bobby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey, Hi there everyone, I might have deleted some files on my laptop and
> now
> windows wont start, there were some win32 files if i remember correctly, i
> was trying to quarantine them but ended up deletein them.
> Is there any one who can help me solve this problem? Is there any thing i
> can do besides formatting my hard disk as i really dont want to.
> also is there a cable or something i can get to transfer the files to
> another computer if i take the hard drive out?

"Bobby" <Bobby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hey, Hi there everyone, I might have deleted some files on my laptop and now
>windows wont start, there were some win32 files if i remember correctly, i
>was trying to quarantine them but ended up deletein them.
>Is there any one who can help me solve this problem? Is there any thing i
>can do besides formatting my hard disk as i really dont want to.
>also is there a cable or something i can get to transfer the files to
>another computer if i take the hard drive out?

What exactly happens when you try to start your Windows XP? The
actual behavior, especially any and all error messages, will help to
determine the most effective way of recovering your system.

Have you tried booting it into Safe Mode? Does that work? To start
Windows XP in Safe Mode turn the computer on and start tapping the F8
key rapidly just as soon as the first information of any kind shows on
the screen. Keep tapping rapidly until the Windows XP Startup Menu
appears and then choose Safe Mode from the menu. If that does not
work then repeat the startup procedure and this time choose "Last
known good configuration" from the menu. If it starts okay in Safe
Mode then run System Restore from the Accessories - System Tools menu
and choose the most recent restore point that is prior to the deletion
of those files.

Do you have a Windows XP CD? (sometimes Windows XP is on a hidden
"recovery" partition rather than on a CD) Is it an installation CD or
is it a "System Recovery" disk?

If it is an installation CD then boot your laptop with the CD and do a
Repair Install as per the instructions at

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP