Can I use a dual channel (800 FSB) on a non-dual channel b..

The generic version of my question is, 'can I use a dual channel
processor (800 MHz FSB) on a non-dual channel motherboard'?

My specifics are:

I already have two computers (Shuttle SB75S) using a socket 478 Intel
P4 2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, Hyperthreading Northwood, SL6WT in a dual
channel configuration.
(http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/details.asp?sSpec=SL6WT).

I want to buy a Soyo SY-P4I 845PE ISA motherboard
(http://www.soyogroup.com/products/proddesc.php?id=194) because I need
a modern machine and I have some legacy ISA cards.

I would like to use the same processor in all machines so one can
donate in case of disaster. Will a SL6WT work in this Soyo?

I realize I won't get dual channel performance. In fact, I have a
333MHz/PC2700, 512M stick from its dead predecessor. I plan to use
that single stick.

Or to ask another way, can the fancy processor dumb itself down to run
in this board?

Thanks.

The answer was right in the link you posted for the Soyo motherboard.
If you looked at the link you would see another link for supported
cpu's. On that list it clearly states the board only supports 400Mhz
and 533Mhz cpu's, it does not support the 800Mhz cpu. Also there has
been numerous problems using ISA devices on this motherboard mainly
with the devices not being recongized by the motherboard.

I hope this helps you, your also not going to find any new motherboards
that support ISA its pretty much a dead horse.

On 19 Feb 2005 16:31:37 -0800, j.burghdoff@sbcglobal.net wrote:

>The answer was right in the link you posted for the Soyo motherboard.
>If you looked at the link you would see another link for supported
>cpu's. On that list it clearly states the board only supports 400Mhz
>and 533Mhz cpu's, it does not support the 800Mhz cpu.

I guess I'm wondering if I can buy a 800MHz CPU and run it at 400MHz.
I don't expect the board to use the CPUs full potential.

>Also there has
>been numerous problems using ISA devices on this motherboard mainly
>with the devices not being recongized by the motherboard.

Bummer. Thanks for the heads up.

>I hope this helps you, your also not going to find any new motherboards
>that support ISA its pretty much a dead horse.

That is my problem. Two of them have no PCI versions. Both are still
in production - ISA only.

Thanks for the info.