Life in my HDD after 10% formatting

Hi there,

my portable Toshiba 11GB Laptop HDD didn't want to read anymore, so I
decided to format it. It only gets to 10% and there it stays, even though
the RED led is on.

Must I throw it away or can I still save it?

--
Regards,

Deon H
5 answers Last reply
More about life formatting

    Have you tried to lowlevel format the disk, that might fix the problem

    "Deon" wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > my portable Toshiba 11GB Laptop HDD didn't want to read anymore, so I
    > decided to format it. It only gets to 10% and there it stays, even though
    > the RED led is on.
    >
    > Must I throw it away or can I still save it?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Deon H

    "=?Utf-8?B?RmxlbW1pbmcgR3VsZGLDpms=?=" <Flemming
    Guldbæk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > Have you tried to lowlevel format the disk, that might fix the problem
    >
    > "Deon" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> my portable Toshiba 11GB Laptop HDD didn't want to read anymore, so I
    >> decided to format it. It only gets to 10% and there it stays, even
    >> though the RED led is on.
    >>
    >> Must I throw it away or can I still save it?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Deon H

    No, how do I do that? If it can help, I will surely do it.
    I have done a google search and could only find low level software for
    every other make except Toshiba.

    --
    Regards,

    Deon H

    A low level format will wipe out everything on the hard drive. I would look for any diagnostic
    utilities that Toshiba might have to use to check the machine out.
    --
    Dave Vair
    CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

    "David Vair" <dvair@nycap.rr.com> wrote in

    > A low level format will wipe out everything on the hard drive. I
    > would look for any diagnostic utilities that Toshiba might have to use
    > to check the machine out.

    It's OK if the format wipes out everything. I have got a very recent backup
    of the content on the drive.

    All I want to do is to "save" the drive.

    --
    Regards,

    Deon H

    Deon <REMOVEdeon@REMOVEsincro.co.za> wrote:

    >It's OK if the format wipes out everything. I have got a very recent backup
    >of the content on the drive.
    >
    >All I want to do is to "save" the drive.

    A low level format is far more likely to destroy the hard drive than
    it is to fix anything. Low-level formatting has basically been
    obsolete since the advent of the IDE type hard drive in the late
    1980s.

    Check with the Toshiba web site for any diagnostic utilities that you
    can put onto a 3.5 diskette or burn to a CD and then run on your
    laptop.

    Another option would be to try Spinrite from Gibson Research
    (www.grc.com) and see if it can salvage the drive. However the cost
    of the program is probably pretty close to the price of a new hard
    drive, even allowing for the higher cost of 2.5 inch laptop drives.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP