Improving signal / range

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
April 8, 2005 1:26:49 PM

Hi

I am setting up a home WiFi network with the following components:

1 x Trust Speedshare Turbo Pro router / AP
1 x Belkin F5D6001 802.11b PCI card
1 x Belkin F5D7000 802.11g PCI card

I have set it all up, and it works, but the range is very poor (lots of
disconnects at a range of <10m, separate rooms). The signal is also very
variable (excellent to no signal in seconds). What is my best option for
improving the range and signal; should I go for a high gain antenna? If so,
should I connect the antenna(e) to the AP, the cards, or both? Which ones
work best?

Also is there a way to disable the "Wireless connection is now connected"
balloon without disabling other popup balloons? It is very annoying to have
to keep closing it.

All the best
Keith

More about : improving signal range

April 8, 2005 2:51:04 PM

Hi
May be this can Help.
Wireless Bridging: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging1.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Keith" <a.b@c.d> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am setting up a home WiFi network with the following components:
>
> 1 x Trust Speedshare Turbo Pro router / AP
> 1 x Belkin F5D6001 802.11b PCI card
> 1 x Belkin F5D7000 802.11g PCI card
>
> I have set it all up, and it works, but the range is very poor (lots of
> disconnects at a range of <10m, separate rooms). The signal is also very
> variable (excellent to no signal in seconds). What is my best option for
> improving the range and signal; should I go for a high gain antenna? If
so,
> should I connect the antenna(e) to the AP, the cards, or both? Which ones
> work best?
>
> Also is there a way to disable the "Wireless connection is now connected"
> balloon without disabling other popup balloons? It is very annoying to
have
> to keep closing it.
>
> All the best
> Keith

Anonymous
April 11, 2005 11:09:01 AM

Have you found out how to diable that balloon. I would like to do so as well.
Thanks

"Jack" wrote:

> Hi
> May be this can Help.
> Extending Distance: http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html
> Wireless Bridging: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging1.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Keith" <a.b@c.d> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I am setting up a home WiFi network with the following components:
> >
> > 1 x Trust Speedshare Turbo Pro router / AP
> > 1 x Belkin F5D6001 802.11b PCI card
> > 1 x Belkin F5D7000 802.11g PCI card
> >
> > I have set it all up, and it works, but the range is very poor (lots of
> > disconnects at a range of <10m, separate rooms). The signal is also very
> > variable (excellent to no signal in seconds). What is my best option for
> > improving the range and signal; should I go for a high gain antenna? If
> so,
> > should I connect the antenna(e) to the AP, the cards, or both? Which ones
> > work best?
> >
> > Also is there a way to disable the "Wireless connection is now connected"
> > balloon without disabling other popup balloons? It is very annoying to
> have
> > to keep closing it.
> >
> > All the best
> > Keith

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 6:09:06 AM

Keith,

I have just bought a Belkin F5D7000 and the receive signal strength is
very poor. It was to replace a D-Link DWL-G520+ that would not work
with dynamic IP adressing in Win98ME. Anyway, the D-Link did work with
fixed IP addressing and when I had it running it gave me about 75%
signal strength and 54 Mbps most of the time. The Belkin is hopeless.
I am going through a thick concrete slab about 20 meters with a drop
of 5 metres. I am using a high gain Yagi antenna in the garage
downstairs and the signal is mud. The D-Link was right up there.

I'll be taking it back tomorrow. The search goes on for a PCI card
that will work.

Cheers, Craig.

!