I've just upgraded from 98 to XP. I now find I have to switch my scanner on
before my PC or it doesn't find the scanner, with 98 I could switch it on
afterwards and it found it ok. I've looked in 'Device Manager' and the
scanner hardwares there if I switch the scanner on first, but not if I switch
the PC on first then the scanner afterwards. Is there anyway I can make it
find the scanner if I switch it on after the PC?

Thanks for any help.

Rod

Is the HP Scanjet 5P compatible with Windows XP? I had a scanner several
years ago that behaved exactly as yours is behaving. It had to be on before
booting up the computer or it wouldn't be recognized. That was the way it
worked right out of the box and the documentation for the scanner also
indicated that the scanner must be on before the system is booted up. Check
to see if the 5P has XP drivers and if so, install them.

"CAO8661ME" <CAO8661ME@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've just upgraded from 98 to XP. I now find I have to switch my scanner
on
> before my PC or it doesn't find the scanner, with 98 I could switch it on
> afterwards and it found it ok. I've looked in 'Device Manager' and the
> scanner hardwares there if I switch the scanner on first, but not if I
switch
> the PC on first then the scanner afterwards. Is there anyway I can make it
> find the scanner if I switch it on after the PC?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Rod

"CAO8661ME" <CAO8661ME@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've just upgraded from 98 to XP. I now find I have to switch my scanner
on
> before my PC or it doesn't find the scanner, with 98 I could switch it on
> afterwards and it found it ok. I've looked in 'Device Manager' and the
> scanner hardwares there if I switch the scanner on first, but not if I
switch
> the PC on first then the scanner afterwards. Is there anyway I can make it
> find the scanner if I switch it on after the PC?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Rod

start Device Manager>>right click My Computer (first icon at top)>>
Scan for Hardware Changes

When starting a system, one should always ensure that all peripheral devices
are ready and waiting..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"CAO8661ME" <CAO8661ME@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've just upgraded from 98 to XP. I now find I have to switch my scanner
> on
> before my PC or it doesn't find the scanner, with 98 I could switch it on
> afterwards and it found it ok. I've looked in 'Device Manager' and the
> scanner hardwares there if I switch the scanner on first, but not if I
> switch
> the PC on first then the scanner afterwards. Is there anyway I can make it
> find the scanner if I switch it on after the PC?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Rod

Hi

I tried it and it found the scanner, but when I switched off it lost it
again. With 98 I could switch it on afterwards and it found it automatically.
Your suggestion saves the need to reboot the PC to get the scanner working if
I forget to switch it on first. Can I make a shortcut to this?

Thanks

Rod

"V Green" wrote:

> "CAO8661ME" <CAO8661ME@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've just upgraded from 98 to XP. I now find I have to switch my scanner
> on
> > before my PC or it doesn't find the scanner, with 98 I could switch it on
> > afterwards and it found it ok. I've looked in 'Device Manager' and the
> > scanner hardwares there if I switch the scanner on first, but not if I
> switch
> > the PC on first then the scanner afterwards. Is there anyway I can make it
> > find the scanner if I switch it on after the PC?
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
> >
> > Rod
>
> start Device Manager>>right click My Computer (first icon at top)>>
> Scan for Hardware Changes

Kevin,

HP don’t support the scanner on XP, but XP found a new driver for it ok. I
got the software from Drivers.com. The scanner works fine, better than on 98
if anything, it’s just that if I forget to switch it on I have to reboot the
PC. With 98 I could switch it on afterwards.

Rod

"Kevin" wrote:

> Is the HP Scanjet 5P compatible with Windows XP? I had a scanner several
> years ago that behaved exactly as yours is behaving. It had to be on before
> booting up the computer or it wouldn't be recognized. That was the way it
> worked right out of the box and the documentation for the scanner also
> indicated that the scanner must be on before the system is booted up. Check
> to see if the 5P has XP drivers and if so, install them.
>
> "CAO8661ME" <CAO8661ME@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've just upgraded from 98 to XP. I now find I have to switch my scanner
> on
> > before my PC or it doesn't find the scanner, with 98 I could switch it on
> > afterwards and it found it ok. I've looked in 'Device Manager' and the
> > scanner hardwares there if I switch the scanner on first, but not if I
> switch
> > the PC on first then the scanner afterwards. Is there anyway I can make it
> > find the scanner if I switch it on after the PC?
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
> >
> > Rod

Mike,

It’s just that sometimes I’m not using the scanner when I start the PC, then
decide I need it. My question was really why did 98 do this ok yet XP doesn’t?

Thanks

Rod

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> When starting a system, one should always ensure that all peripheral devices
> are ready and waiting..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "CAO8661ME" <CAO8661ME@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've just upgraded from 98 to XP. I now find I have to switch my scanner
> > on
> > before my PC or it doesn't find the scanner, with 98 I could switch it on
> > afterwards and it found it ok. I've looked in 'Device Manager' and the
> > scanner hardwares there if I switch the scanner on first, but not if I
> > switch
> > the PC on first then the scanner afterwards. Is there anyway I can make it
> > find the scanner if I switch it on after the PC?
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
> >
> > Rod

Way back in the 'old' days, we always powered up all peripheral devices
before powering up a system..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

> Mike,
>
> It's just that sometimes I'm not using the scanner when I start the PC,
> then
> decide I need it. My question was really why did 98 do this ok yet XP
> doesn't?
>
> Thanks
>
> Rod
>

> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> When starting a system, one should always ensure that all peripheral
>> devices
>> are ready and waiting..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "CAO8661ME" <CAO8661ME@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I've just upgraded from 98 to XP. I now find I have to switch my
>> > scanner
>> > on
>> > before my PC or it doesn't find the scanner, with 98 I could switch it
>> > on
>> > afterwards and it found it ok. I've looked in 'Device Manager' and the
>> > scanner hardwares there if I switch the scanner on first, but not if I
>> > switch
>> > the PC on first then the scanner afterwards. Is there anyway I can make
>> > it
>> > find the scanner if I switch it on after the PC?
>> >
>> > Thanks for any help.
>> >
>> > Rod

is it a usb scanner?

On Tue, 24 May 2005 17:24:02 -0700, CAO8661ME
<CAO8661ME@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I've just upgraded from 98 to XP. I now find I have to switch my scanner on
>before my PC or it doesn't find the scanner, with 98 I could switch it on
>afterwards and it found it ok. I've looked in 'Device Manager' and the
>scanner hardwares there if I switch the scanner on first, but not if I switch
>the PC on first then the scanner afterwards. Is there anyway I can make it
>find the scanner if I switch it on after the PC?
>
>Thanks for any help.
>
>Rod

To answer your question "Can you change it somewhere?" is no, why, well in
case you didn't notice, XP is not Win9x or DOS. XP is part of the NT family
of OS's, and one of the enhancement between 9x and NT to make it more robust
was to only load the device drivers to hardware it actually found during
startup - so if no power is on the item, the driver is not loaded - this is
true for all devices connected to the Parallel or Serial Ports - i.e. LPT?
and COM?, now Firewire and USB are exceptions and they are true plug-n-play
ports - but LPT/COM are not - they are legacy ports.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

"CAO8661ME" <CAO8661ME@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've just upgraded from 98 to XP. I now find I have to switch my scanner
> on
> before my PC or it doesn't find the scanner, with 98 I could switch it on
> afterwards and it found it ok. I've looked in 'Device Manager' and the
> scanner hardwares there if I switch the scanner on first, but not if I
> switch
> the PC on first then the scanner afterwards. Is there anyway I can make it
> find the scanner if I switch it on after the PC?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Rod

No, it's got a SCSI card

Regards

Rod

"Wouter Kattenbeld" wrote:

> is it a usb scanner?
>
> On Tue, 24 May 2005 17:24:02 -0700, CAO8661ME
> <CAO8661ME@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I've just upgraded from 98 to XP. I now find I have to switch my scanner on
> >before my PC or it doesn't find the scanner, with 98 I could switch it on
> >afterwards and it found it ok. I've looked in 'Device Manager' and the
> >scanner hardwares there if I switch the scanner on first, but not if I switch
> >the PC on first then the scanner afterwards. Is there anyway I can make it
> >find the scanner if I switch it on after the PC?
> >
> >Thanks for any help.
> >
> >Rod

Thanks for the explanation of whats happening, V.Green above has given me a
work around which saves restarting my PC.

Regards

Rod