Using IDE 3 and 4 K7V Dragon Plus

I have been using IDE 3 and 4 with my hard drives and IDE 1 and 2 with my
optical plextor cd/cdrw and toshiba dvd dual layer writer. I did this to
have the two opticals (the toshiba is the new drive) on their own ide
channels. I have been having random system crashes causing memory dumps (?)
error code had something to do with w2k32.sys file, even though I havent
much used the burners at all. Has anyone had experience with this
configuration? Using win xp home 768 MB RAM.
Should I go to a more conventional set up with the optical drives as slave
and master on IDE 2 and forget the Promise controller or should I try a
repair install of the OS on my F partition (1.95 GB free)? I am trying to
see if this is a board problem or configuration problem as I did replace the
processor about two months ago. Problems didnt really start until I started
using the 3 and 4 controllers.
If you need it I can get the memory dump file if I can find the default
location.
Keheikev

Keheikev wrote:
> I have been using IDE 3 and 4 with my hard drives and IDE 1 and 2
> with my optical plextor cd/cdrw and toshiba dvd dual layer writer. I
> did this to have the two opticals (the toshiba is the new drive) on
> their own ide channels. I have been having random system crashes
> causing memory dumps (?) error code had something to do with
> w2k32.sys file, even though I havent much used the burners at all.
> Has anyone had experience with this configuration? Using win xp home
> 768 MB RAM. Should I go to a more conventional set up with the optical
> drives as
> slave and master on IDE 2 and forget the Promise controller or should
> I try a repair install of the OS on my F partition (1.95 GB free)? I
> am trying to see if this is a board problem or configuration problem
> as I did replace the processor about two months ago. Problems didnt
> really start until I started using the 3 and 4 controllers.
> If you need it I can get the memory dump file if I can find the
> default location.
> Keheikev

i'd say more probably your problem lies in using two RAM modules...remember
that most (if not all) people (including me) had problems using more than
one RAM on this board. I'd say first remove one RAM and see.

Okay will give that a try. I had heard that in a couple posts and yes that
was one of my upgrades when I started this upgrading lately.
Kevin
PS are these crashes others are seeing and you random as well not related to
any particular action?

Keheikev wrote:
> Okay will give that a try. I had heard that in a couple posts and yes
> that was one of my upgrades when I started this upgrading lately.
> Kevin
> PS are these crashes others are seeing and you random as well not
> related to any particular action?

This odd behaviour can be just about anything. For instance, my experience:
Windows run just perfect, while when i burned ANY CDR, (using Nero, and
other programs) Burn went OK, but file checking resulted in error, also CDR
was indeed with errors (tested in another PC). When i removed one RAM, all
was OK.
Others i'v eread were reporting random crashing or freezing.