Configuring Two Network Connections?

Boxical

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2002
I just installed a second network card into my computer so that when I want to play a lan game over the college network I dont have to swap out the cat 5 cord with my regular cable connection. I am having trouble figuring out how to specify wich network connection I want used and when. For example how do i set it so that when surfing the internet or playing internet games, it used my network connection 1(cable line) and when i want to play a lan game it uses my college lan network connection?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
you're going to have to play around with the routing tables. Type route /? at a DOS prompt.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
If the LAN has internet access you could do load balancing and get better speeds, if not then use isp's settings on cable connection and university settings on the other one and it should pretty much figure it out for itself. The directly connected nic will always be preferred so your LAN connection will be used for that network by default. If the LAN does not have a internet gateway, the cable nic will automatically be used as it is the only one with a connection to the network you are trying to reach. If you want to restrict how the traffic flows you do that with the route command, but I don't see why you would even need that.

Poor windows was not a brave soul. Threatened by the force of General Protection and Major Problem the little OS committed suicide by hanging.

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
Windows still does loadbalancing _if_ the College LAN has internet access...

Poor windows was not a brave soul. Threatened by the force of General Protection and Major Problem the little OS committed suicide by hanging.

GhostKat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
wouldn't this depend on which windows version? I don't beleive 98 can balance the load on it's own without some software otherwise when I connect my modem to an ISP and I have a LAN internet connection it would balance automatically, but I know that it doesn't because I've done this before. FYI, I used to work at an ISP and sometime to test if a username/password worked we would connect by modem to make sure it worked.

GK

Yes, I made it past newbie w00t.

TRENDING THREADS