Getting ide 3 and 4 to work SY-P4I875P Dragon 2, Platinum ..

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
March 20, 2005 8:20:01 PM

I just recently purchased the OEM version of this board from Newegg
with the intent of using 8 hard drives and 2 dvd readers in a computer
designed for using as a HTPC.

Currently, I have a master and slave HD on Ide 1
I have the 2 dvd readers on ide 2 as master and slave

I have 2 HD's on Sata 1 and 2.

All of these are working fine.

I'm trying to use ide 3 and 4 for four more ide (ata100) drives but I
cannot get the board to "see" any drives hooked to those ports.
I have tried master only, masters with slave attached, and even new
cables. The cables I'm using are the 80 pin, with the blue connector
on one end.

Should these ports work with hard drives not in a raid configuration?

I don't need raid on this board, but I surely would like to get ide 3
and 4 working.

Suggestions?

Rick
March 22, 2005 6:36:54 AM

Did you install the drive for the IDE interface?

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 17:20:01 -0800, Rick <same@home.now> wrote:

>I just recently purchased the OEM version of this board from Newegg
>with the intent of using 8 hard drives and 2 dvd readers in a computer
>designed for using as a HTPC.
>
>Currently, I have a master and slave HD on Ide 1
>I have the 2 dvd readers on ide 2 as master and slave
>
>I have 2 HD's on Sata 1 and 2.
>
>All of these are working fine.
>
>I'm trying to use ide 3 and 4 for four more ide (ata100) drives but I
>cannot get the board to "see" any drives hooked to those ports.
>I have tried master only, masters with slave attached, and even new
>cables. The cables I'm using are the 80 pin, with the blue connector
>on one end.
>
>Should these ports work with hard drives not in a raid configuration?
>
>I don't need raid on this board, but I surely would like to get ide 3
>and 4 working.
>
>Suggestions?
>
>Rick
March 22, 2005 6:36:55 AM

>>I just recently purchased the OEM version of this board from Newegg
>>with the intent of using 8 hard drives and 2 dvd readers in a computer
>>designed for using as a HTPC.
>>
>>Currently, I have a master and slave HD on Ide 1
>>I have the 2 dvd readers on ide 2 as master and slave
>>
>>I have 2 HD's on Sata 1 and 2.
>>
>>All of these are working fine.
>>
>>I'm trying to use ide 3 and 4 for four more ide (ata100) drives but I
>>cannot get the board to "see" any drives hooked to those ports.
>>I have tried master only, masters with slave attached, and even new
>>cables. The cables I'm using are the 80 pin, with the blue connector
>>on one end.
>>
>>Should these ports work with hard drives not in a raid configuration?
>>
>>I don't need raid on this board, but I surely would like to get ide 3
>>and 4 working.
>>
>>Suggestions?
>>
>>Rick

>Did you install the drive for the IDE interface?

I installed the chipset driver downloaded from soyo's site.

Is that what you were referring too?

Somebody said that I may have to go into the raid setup utility
(during boot up) and select a drive there. I've always thought that,
that would only need to be done to set up a raid array.

I guess I just need to know if IDE 3 and 4 on this board need anything
special loaded to have the board or the operating system (winxp/sp2)
see the drives connected to them.

Thanks, Rick
a b V Motherboard
March 22, 2005 8:52:01 PM

At least on my board you have to enable ide in the bios> If your using xp
the drivers will probably be detected and you can see them once you have
installed the drives. On my board as well you have to configure a jumper to
enable IDE/RAID. Mine is the the SOYO K7V dragon Plus! (plus what I dont
know :0) ) I suspect its a similar way to get your drives working. What is a
HTPC?
I suspect you have the manual to do this?
Kevin
"Rick" <same@home.now> wrote in message

>>>I just recently purchased the OEM version of this board from Newegg
>>>with the intent of using 8 hard drives and 2 dvd readers in a computer
>>>designed for using as a HTPC.
>>>
>>>Currently, I have a master and slave HD on Ide 1
>>>I have the 2 dvd readers on ide 2 as master and slave
>>>
>>>I have 2 HD's on Sata 1 and 2.
>>>
>>>All of these are working fine.
>>>
>>>I'm trying to use ide 3 and 4 for four more ide (ata100) drives but I
>>>cannot get the board to "see" any drives hooked to those ports.
>>>I have tried master only, masters with slave attached, and even new
>>>cables. The cables I'm using are the 80 pin, with the blue connector
>>>on one end.
>>>
>>>Should these ports work with hard drives not in a raid configuration?
>>>
>>>I don't need raid on this board, but I surely would like to get ide 3
>>>and 4 working.
>>>
>>>Suggestions?
>>>
>>>Rick
>

>>Did you install the drive for the IDE interface?
>

> I installed the chipset driver downloaded from soyo's site.
>
> Is that what you were referring too?
>
> Somebody said that I may have to go into the raid setup utility
> (during boot up) and select a drive there. I've always thought that,
> that would only need to be done to set up a raid array.
>
> I guess I just need to know if IDE 3 and 4 on this board need anything
> special loaded to have the board or the operating system (winxp/sp2)
> see the drives connected to them.
>
> Thanks, Rick

March 22, 2005 10:29:53 PM

>>>Did you install the drive for the IDE interface?
>>

>> I installed the chipset driver downloaded from soyo's site.
>>
>> Is that what you were referring too?
>>
>> Somebody said that I may have to go into the raid setup utility
>> (during boot up) and select a drive there. I've always thought that,
>> that would only need to be done to set up a raid array.
>>
>> I guess I just need to know if IDE 3 and 4 on this board need anything
>> special loaded to have the board or the operating system (winxp/sp2)
>> see the drives connected to them.
>>
>> Thanks, Rick

>At least on my board you have to enable ide in the bios> If your using xp
>the drivers will probably be detected and you can see them once you have
>installed the drives. On my board as well you have to configure a jumper to
>enable IDE/RAID. Mine is the the SOYO K7V dragon Plus! (plus what I dont
>know :0) ) I suspect its a similar way to get your drives working. What is a
>HTPC?
>I suspect you have the manual to do this?

I downloaded the manual from Soyo and don't see anything about a
jumper needing to be enabled. I have enabled everything in the bios
relating to IDE, except I don't have raid enabled. I don't want to use
raid on this board, just standard drives and single devices.

The HTPC I referred to is my (H)ome (T)heater PC.

I drive my projector and118 inch diagonal screen with this PC and
store a lot of High Def And DVD programming on the drives, hence the
need for me to have a load of HD space available.

Rick
March 23, 2005 2:02:33 AM

Rick wrote:

> I downloaded the manual from Soyo and don't see anything about a
> jumper needing to be enabled. I have enabled everything in the bios
> relating to IDE, except I don't have raid enabled. I don't want to use
> raid on this board, just standard drives and single devices.
>
> The HTPC I referred to is my (H)ome (T)heater PC.
>
> I drive my projector and118 inch diagonal screen with this PC and
> store a lot of High Def And DVD programming on the drives, hence the
> need for me to have a load of HD space available.
>
> Rick

If I recall, you have to enable the raid in the bios and then set it up
when the chip set-up utility comes on screen during booting. It doesn't
have to be a raid, I ran a drive from there. The only problem I had was
that I put my computer in "sleep mode" when not using it overnight and I
was finding that sometimes the drive would fail to "wake up" and the OS
would give me an error message. Worked fine otherwise though.
Ray. .
March 23, 2005 9:07:55 PM

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 23:02:33 -0500, Ray <black_bart100@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Rick wrote:
>

>> I downloaded the manual from Soyo and don't see anything about a
>> jumper needing to be enabled. I have enabled everything in the bios
>> relating to IDE, except I don't have raid enabled. I don't want to use
>> raid on this board, just standard drives and single devices.
>>
>> The HTPC I referred to is my (H)ome (T)heater PC.
>>
>> I drive my projector and118 inch diagonal screen with this PC and
>> store a lot of High Def And DVD programming on the drives, hence the
>> need for me to have a load of HD space available.
>>
>> Rick
>>

>If I recall, you have to enable the raid in the bios and then set it up
>when the chip set-up utility comes on screen during booting. It doesn't
>have to be a raid, I ran a drive from there. The only problem I had was
>that I put my computer in "sleep mode" when not using it overnight and I
>was finding that sometimes the drive would fail to "wake up" and the OS
>would give me an error message. Worked fine otherwise though.
>Ray. .

Thanks Ray, I will try that. I'll report back how it goes.

Rick
!