Unbelievable: Soyo BIOS (KT600 DRAGON+) does NOT support 2..

Have no idea (except throwing away my Soyo MB and buying a better one
from an other vendor) to solve my problem...
.... have only ONE floppy drive option, named "DRIVE A:" - I can choose a
floppy type here, but I like to use my second floppy drive - no way,
Soyo disabled the DRIVE B: option !!! This company is mad.

Have seen that MODBIN shows me that there is a DRIVE B: option hidden.
But when using AWDFLASH to burn the modified BIOS, the program just says
"...this not an AWARD 6.0 BIOS...".
So again, SOYO does not only disable useful options, no, they also
modified the identifier of the bios so nobody can change options.

I just hate Soyo for such a hostile customer policy.

Anybody who can help me solving my nonsupported-drive-b-problem ?
Is there any utility which can modify the CMOS settings also ?

Regards
Peter
5 answers Last reply
More about unbelievable soyo bios kt600 dragon support

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:17:53 +0200, Peter Smith
    <peter.smith@programmer.net> wrote:

    >Have no idea (except throwing away my Soyo MB and buying a better one
    >from an other vendor) to solve my problem...
    >... have only ONE floppy drive option, named "DRIVE A:" - I can choose a
    >floppy type here, but I like to use my second floppy drive - no way,
    >Soyo disabled the DRIVE B: option !!! This company is mad.
    >
    >Have seen that MODBIN shows me that there is a DRIVE B: option hidden.
    >But when using AWDFLASH to burn the modified BIOS, the program just says
    >"...this not an AWARD 6.0 BIOS...".
    >So again, SOYO does not only disable useful options, no, they also
    >modified the identifier of the bios so nobody can change options.
    >
    >I just hate Soyo for such a hostile customer policy.
    >
    >Anybody who can help me solving my nonsupported-drive-b-problem ?
    >Is there any utility which can modify the CMOS settings also ?
    >
    >Regards
    > Peter
    Look for a combo drive, I am guessing that you want to so you an still
    support the old 5 1/4" drives. They make combo units that have both
    drives in one unit and will do what you want.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    f/fgeorge schrieb:
    > On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:17:53 +0200, Peter Smith
    > <peter.smith@programmer.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Have no idea (except throwing away my Soyo MB and buying a better one
    >
    >>from an other vendor) to solve my problem...
    >
    >>... have only ONE floppy drive option, named "DRIVE A:" - I can choose a
    >>floppy type here, but I like to use my second floppy drive - no way,
    >>Soyo disabled the DRIVE B: option !!! This company is mad.
    >>
    >>Have seen that MODBIN shows me that there is a DRIVE B: option hidden.
    >>But when using AWDFLASH to burn the modified BIOS, the program just says
    >>"...this not an AWARD 6.0 BIOS...".
    >>So again, SOYO does not only disable useful options, no, they also
    >>modified the identifier of the bios so nobody can change options.
    >>
    >>I just hate Soyo for such a hostile customer policy.
    >>
    >>Anybody who can help me solving my nonsupported-drive-b-problem ?
    >>Is there any utility which can modify the CMOS settings also ?
    >>
    >>Regards
    >> Peter
    >
    > Look for a combo drive, I am guessing that you want to so you an still
    > support the old 5 1/4" drives. They make combo units that have both
    > drives in one unit and will do what you want.

    That's totally bullshit. Even a combo drive has logically two drive
    connectors, and will be accessed as two floppy drives. I do not have a
    space problem (I have a free drive slot).
    I just want to enable the disabled option in my BIOS. The floppy
    controller is able to access 2 drives without any hassle.
    But, as I already said, AWDFLASH still tell me, "It is not Award BIOS
    !". But I have saved my "live" BIOS (with the help of AWDFLASH) before.
    Even the unmodified (but saved) BIOS can't be flashed back because it
    claims, I have no Award BIOS. This program (AWDFLASH) is also crazy.

    Regards
    Peter
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:04:08 +0200, Peter Smith
    <peter.smith@programmer.net> wrote:

    >f/fgeorge schrieb:
    >> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:17:53 +0200, Peter Smith
    >> <peter.smith@programmer.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Have no idea (except throwing away my Soyo MB and buying a better one
    >>
    >>>from an other vendor) to solve my problem...
    >>
    >>>... have only ONE floppy drive option, named "DRIVE A:" - I can choose a
    >>>floppy type here, but I like to use my second floppy drive - no way,
    >>>Soyo disabled the DRIVE B: option !!! This company is mad.
    >>>
    >>>Have seen that MODBIN shows me that there is a DRIVE B: option hidden.
    >>>But when using AWDFLASH to burn the modified BIOS, the program just says
    >>>"...this not an AWARD 6.0 BIOS...".
    >>>So again, SOYO does not only disable useful options, no, they also
    >>>modified the identifier of the bios so nobody can change options.
    >>>
    >>>I just hate Soyo for such a hostile customer policy.
    >>>
    >>>Anybody who can help me solving my nonsupported-drive-b-problem ?
    >>>Is there any utility which can modify the CMOS settings also ?
    >>>
    >>>Regards
    >>> Peter
    >>
    >> Look for a combo drive, I am guessing that you want to so you an still
    >> support the old 5 1/4" drives. They make combo units that have both
    >> drives in one unit and will do what you want.
    >>
    >That's totally bullshit. Even a combo drive has logically two drive
    >connectors, and will be accessed as two floppy drives. I do not have a
    >space problem (I have a free drive slot).
    >I just want to enable the disabled option in my BIOS. The floppy
    >controller is able to access 2 drives without any hassle.
    >But, as I already said, AWDFLASH still tell me, "It is not Award BIOS
    >!". But I have saved my "live" BIOS (with the help of AWDFLASH) before.
    >Even the unmodified (but saved) BIOS can't be flashed back because it
    >claims, I have no Award BIOS. This program (AWDFLASH) is also crazy.

    The point about the combo drive was not space OR cable connections. It
    WAS the fact that you only have to use one cable with 2 connectors on
    it thereby forcing the machine to see 2 drives.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    f/fgeorge wrote:
    >>> [...]
    >>>Look for a combo drive, I am guessing that you want to so you an still
    >>>support the old 5 1/4" drives. They make combo units that have both
    >>>drives in one unit and will do what you want.
    >>>

    >>That's totally bullshit. Even a combo drive has logically two drive
    >>connectors, and will be accessed as two floppy drives. I do not have a
    >>space problem (I have a free drive slot).
    >>I just want to enable the disabled option in my BIOS. The floppy
    >>controller is able to access 2 drives without any hassle.
    >>But, as I already said, AWDFLASH still tell me, "It is not Award BIOS
    >>!". But I have saved my "live" BIOS (with the help of AWDFLASH) before.
    >>Even the unmodified (but saved) BIOS can't be flashed back because it
    >>claims, I have no Award BIOS. This program (AWDFLASH) is also crazy.
    >>

    > The point about the combo drive was not space OR cable connections. It
    > WAS the fact that you only have to use one cable with 2 connectors on
    > it thereby forcing the machine to see 2 drives.

    So do you really think just using this drive will result in an automatic
    appearance of two drives ? The DPMI and the CMOS storage must reflect
    this, Windows for example can't detect new (drive) hardware if no BIOS
    information was set.
    Btw.: I've managed to modify my BIOS with MODBIN successfully, I also
    solved the flash problem by using a newer version of AWDFLASH, seems
    that former versions (below 8.5) of AWDFLASH are not able to flash
    Phoenix/Award BIOS, with the v8.54 it was no problem.

    Regards
    Peter
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:11:15 +0200, Peter Smith
    <peter.smith@programmer.net> wrote:

    >I've managed to modify my BIOS with MODBIN successfully, I also
    >solved the flash problem by using a newer version of AWDFLASH, seems
    >that former versions (below 8.5) of AWDFLASH are not able to flash
    >Phoenix/Award BIOS, with the v8.54 it was no problem.
    >
    >Regards
    > Peter
    glad you got it working

BIOS Soyo Floppy Disk Motherboards