Former Internal Hard Drive w/in USB Enclosure

I am attempting to use an external hard drive enclosure (made by Adaptec) to
gain access to data on a hard drive from a previous computer - the previous
computer is gone, all I have now is the hard drive. When I put the hard drive
into the enclosure and connect it to my new computer (via USB 2.0), nothing
shows up in the My Computer window (using Windows XP). However, in my
Computer Management -> Disk Management section it shows my drive as being
attached to the system. My problem is that the drive is not assigned a drive
letter when I attach the enclosure, and from reading previous posts it
appears that the only way to assign a drive letter is to delete the partition
on the external drive that holds all of the data (which I must save, and
therefore cannot delete to partition and format the disk). When I right-click
on the external drive, the option to assign/change a drive letter is greyed
out - all I can do is delete the current partition or see its properties.
There is a paltry 16 MB of unallocated space that I can partition and label
as I wish, but clearly I would like to save the data while still being able
to access the disk via Windows. My old drive was from a Windows ME system
using FAT32, and the new comp uses Windows XP with NTFS, but XP can read
FAT32 as well so that should not
be a problem. Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

"Erik Woulfe" <Erik Woulfe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am attempting to use an external hard drive enclosure (made by Adaptec)
> gain access to data on a hard drive from a previous computer - the
previous
> computer is gone, all I have now is the hard drive. When I put the hard
drive
> into the enclosure and connect it to my new computer (via USB 2.0),
nothing
> shows up in the My Computer window (using Windows XP). However, in my
> Computer Management -> Disk Management section it shows my drive as being
> attached to the system. My problem is that the drive is not assigned a
drive
> letter when I attach the enclosure, and from reading previous posts it
> appears that the only way to assign a drive letter is to delete the
partition
> on the external drive that holds all of the data (which I must save, and
> therefore cannot delete to partition and format the disk). When I
right-click
> on the external drive, the option to assign/change a drive letter is
greyed
> out - all I can do is delete the current partition or see its properties.
> There is a paltry 16 MB of unallocated space that I can partition and
label
> as I wish, but clearly I would like to save the data while still being
able
> to access the disk via Windows. My old drive was from a Windows ME system
> using FAT32, and the new comp uses Windows XP with NTFS, but XP can read
> FAT32 as well so that should not
> be a problem. Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

I suggest you try connecting it as a slave disk rather than as a USB device.