XP will not recognize blank DVDs

My question concerns my new Plextor PX 716-A DVD-RW drive. The drive
will not recognize blank DVDs. After scanning the blank DVD media it
changes the drive designation from DVD-RW Drive (F:) to CD Drive (F:)
and XP asks which CD software I want to use when inserting this type of
media (it seems to think the DVD is a CD). It plays DVDs with no
problems and I did successfully upgrade the firmware.

The kicker is that I purchased the Plextor because I thought (and
apparently was wrong) that my
NEC DVD RW ND-2500A was the problem when this issue first appeared. (It
did the same thing) Since the same thing is happening with my new
Plextor DVD drive should I now assume that it is a software issue? I've
seen that there have been similar issues attributed to DVD copy
protection in Service Pack 2 for Windows XP Professional and this began
around that time. Has anyone had any reports of this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much,
Gregg

--
ishmael88Posted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

First; there is no "copy protection" in SP2. Don't know where you are
getting your information, but I would find a more reliable source.

Windows XP does not natively support DVD playback or burning. You must use
3rd party software for both of these tasks. There is a CD that came with
your drive that has software on it for playing DVD movies and for burning to
DVD.

Windows will only recognize CD discs and CD-R/RW discs, and DVD data discs.
Windows XP will not play DVD movies or allow burning to DVD. If you do not
install the software that came with the DVD burner, or something like Nero
or Roxio EZCD and DVD Creator, then you cannot record to DVD.

In addition, you must be sure to use the disc type that is appropriate for
your drive. Many DVD burners are "dual format", meaning they will recognize
either -R or +R DVDs. Some DVD burners will only burn to one format or the
other. You must check the documentation that came with your drive to ensure
that you are using compatible discs.

Bobby

"ishmael88" <ishmael88.1pmqcj@> wrote in message

> My question concerns my new Plextor PX 716-A DVD-RW drive. The drive
> will not recognize blank DVDs. After scanning the blank DVD media it
> changes the drive designation from DVD-RW Drive (F:) to CD Drive (F:)
> and XP asks which CD software I want to use when inserting this type of
> media (it seems to think the DVD is a CD). It plays DVDs with no
> problems and I did successfully upgrade the firmware.
>
> The kicker is that I purchased the Plextor because I thought (and
> apparently was wrong) that my
> NEC DVD RW ND-2500A was the problem when this issue first appeared. (It
> did the same thing) Since the same thing is happening with my new
> Plextor DVD drive should I now assume that it is a software issue? I've
> seen that there have been similar issues attributed to DVD copy
> protection in Service Pack 2 for Windows XP Professional and this began
> around that time. Has anyone had any reports of this?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much,
> Gregg
>

> --
> ishmael88Posted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

"ishmael88" <ishmael88.1pmqcj@> wrote in message

> My question concerns my new Plextor PX 716-A DVD-RW drive. The drive
> will not recognize blank DVDs. After scanning the blank DVD media it
> changes the drive designation from DVD-RW Drive (F:) to CD Drive (F:)
> and XP asks which CD software I want to use when inserting this type of
> media (it seems to think the DVD is a CD). It plays DVDs with no
> problems and I did successfully upgrade the firmware.
>
> The kicker is that I purchased the Plextor because I thought (and
> apparently was wrong) that my
> NEC DVD RW ND-2500A was the problem when this issue first appeared. (It
> did the same thing) Since the same thing is happening with my new
> Plextor DVD drive should I now assume that it is a software issue? I've
> seen that there have been similar issues attributed to DVD copy
> protection in Service Pack 2 for Windows XP Professional and this began
> around that time. Has anyone had any reports of this?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much,
> Gregg
>

> --
> ishmael88Posted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

You can only write to the DVD using software like Nero. I also have a
Plextor external and I'm very pleased with it. Just watch out for the
media types - I once accidentally bought a DVD+RW (I didn't look close
enough) and backed up a bunch of important files to it. The disc seemed to
be ok but when I came back to it a few weeks later, I couldn't get any of
the files off there!