IDE 3 and 4 doesn't work

I have a Soyo p4s dragon ultra with windows 2000.
When I plug a hard drive or cd-rom drive into IDE 3 or 4 it doesn t show
up in MY COMPUTE or in DEVICE MANAGER. However, the drives do work in
IDE 1 or 2.

I don t know if it has anything to do with it, but I also see 3 cd roms
drives in MY COMPUTER which aren t there. They appear as SCSI CdRom
devices in DEVICE MANAGER..

JonZ wrote:

> I have a Soyo p4s dragon ultra with windows 2000.
> When I plug a hard drive or cd-rom drive into IDE 3 or 4 it doesn t show
> up in MY COMPUTE or in DEVICE MANAGER. However, the drives do work in
> IDE 1 or 2.

> I don t know if it has anything to do with it, but I also see 3 cd roms
> drives in MY COMPUTER which aren t there. They appear as SCSI CdRom
> devices in DEVICE MANAGER..

I don't own one, nor have I read the manual, but I suspect this is no
different from others. Most do not accept CD rom devices on the RAID
controllers, and RAID controller devices are typically treated by
operating systems as SCSI devices. For a HD to show up in W2K on a
motherboard RAID controller, you'll need to install a driver for the
RAID controller.
--
"Love your neighbor as yourself." Matthew 22:39 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/

Its also required that the raid controller be turned on in the
motherboard bios. Felix is correct the raid controller normally doesn't
work with optical drives, although some Soyo motherboards came with
Promise raid controllers and some of these do support them. But if its
a Highpoint controller, they do not.

They may mean secondary channel, all of your 4 IDE connections can
handle a primary and secondary drive. Primary drive would be the plug
on the end of the IDE cable and Secondary is the plug located in the
middle of the IDE cable. Also termed as Master and Slave connections.

j.burghdoff@sbcglobal.net wrote:

> They may mean secondary channel, all of your 4 IDE connections can
> handle a primary and secondary drive. Primary drive would be the plug
> on the end of the IDE cable and Secondary is the plug located in the
> middle of the IDE cable. Also termed as Master and Slave connections.

Thats what popped into my head when I heard it too. But unclear to me
what he meant : "On ALL my machines I put the CD drive as the primary on
the secondary cable, that would be IDE3!"

On Tue, 03 May 2005 18:58:00 -0700, JonZ <JZ@aol.com> wrote:

>j.burghdoff@sbcglobal.net wrote:
>
>> They may mean secondary channel, all of your 4 IDE connections can
>> handle a primary and secondary drive. Primary drive would be the plug
>> on the end of the IDE cable and Secondary is the plug located in the
>> middle of the IDE cable. Also termed as Master and Slave connections.
>
>Thats what popped into my head when I heard it too. But unclear to me
>what he meant : "On ALL my machines I put the CD drive as the primary on
>the secondary cable, that would be IDE3!"

I MEANT that the CD is ALWAYS the master on the the second cable.
I guess I MEANT that is device 3 NOT IDE3.

f/fgeorge wrote:

> On Tue, 03 May 2005 18:58:00 -0700, JonZ <JZ@aol.com> wrote:
>

> >j.burghdoff@sbcglobal.net wrote:
> >
> >> They may mean secondary channel, all of your 4 IDE connections can
> >> handle a primary and secondary drive. Primary drive would be the plug
> >> on the end of the IDE cable and Secondary is the plug located in the
> >> middle of the IDE cable. Also termed as Master and Slave connections.
> >
> >Thats what popped into my head when I heard it too. But unclear to me
> >what he meant : "On ALL my machines I put the CD drive as the primary on
> >the secondary cable, that would be IDE3!"
> >
> I MEANT that the CD is ALWAYS the master on the the second cable.
> I guess I MEANT that is device 3 NOT IDE3.

sorry bout the confusion