Dragon SocketA Barebones Kit, KT600. Bios issue?

Alright, This is my first post so I'm not sure of the type of posts
one is supposed to make so I'll try to be as explicit about each
thing as possible.

I bought a Soyo KT600 Dragon V2.0 Socket A Barebone Kit / Silver Tower
Case / 350 Watt Power Supply barebones kit from tiger direct.

Here's the link.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1165753&CatId=332

I also bought an AMD Sempron 2300+ to go in it.

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=19-104-209&depa=0

As well as 1 gig of Kingston ram.

Well as soon as I got everything hooked up. I thought everything was
good.

The fans came on... then I noticed it didn't beep and I couldn't get
any video.

After some googling I found a bios update that enables Sempron
support. Well I figured this would be a catch22 trying to get this
thing on there since if I could put a bios update on it, I wouldn't
NEED the bios update. :P

WELL, I just decided to put an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ from another
machine in it.. Same issue...

I've tried to clear the bios about 100+ times, same thing. I've done
everything the manual has suggested and much more.

I've removed everything but the cpu, cpufan/heatsink, and gaphics
card. I've even tried removing THAT. No beep what-so-ever.

I'm pretty baffled.

If anyone has any suggestions you would be helping me out very much.
3 answers Last reply
More about dragon socketa barebones kt600 bios issue

    Is the (separate)four pin power cord plugged in to the board.

    It may sound dumb but I was embarrassed by this issue once. :-)

    Jim

    "paranoyd" <malimon@bellsouth-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > Alright, This is my first post so I'm not sure of the type of posts
    > one is supposed to make so I'll try to be as explicit about each
    > thing as possible.
    >
    > I bought a Soyo KT600 Dragon V2.0 Socket A Barebone Kit / Silver Tower
    > Case / 350 Watt Power Supply barebones kit from tiger direct.
    >
    > Here's the link.
    >
    > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1165753&CatId=332
    >
    > I also bought an AMD Sempron 2300+ to go in it.
    >
    > http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=19-104-209&depa=0
    >
    > As well as 1 gig of Kingston ram.
    >
    > Well as soon as I got everything hooked up. I thought everything was
    > good.
    >
    > The fans came on... then I noticed it didn't beep and I couldn't get
    > any video.
    >
    > After some googling I found a bios update that enables Sempron
    > support. Well I figured this would be a catch22 trying to get this
    > thing on there since if I could put a bios update on it, I wouldn't
    > NEED the bios update. :P
    >
    > WELL, I just decided to put an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ from another
    > machine in it.. Same issue...
    >
    > I've tried to clear the bios about 100+ times, same thing. I've done
    > everything the manual has suggested and much more.
    >
    > I've removed everything but the cpu, cpufan/heatsink, and gaphics
    > card. I've even tried removing THAT. No beep what-so-ever.
    >
    > I'm pretty baffled.
    >
    > If anyone has any suggestions you would be helping me out very much.

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 11:22:42 -0500, "Jim Hauser" <jdh@jdhauser.com>
    wrote:

    >Is the (separate)four pin power cord plugged in to the board.
    >
    >It may sound dumb but I was embarrassed by this issue once. :-)
    >
    >Jim
    >
    >"paranoyd" <malimon@bellsouth-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Alright, This is my first post so I'm not sure of the type of posts
    >> one is supposed to make so I'll try to be as explicit about each
    >> thing as possible.
    >>
    >> I bought a Soyo KT600 Dragon V2.0 Socket A Barebone Kit / Silver Tower
    >> Case / 350 Watt Power Supply barebones kit from tiger direct.
    >>
    >> Here's the link.
    >>
    >> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1165753&CatId=332
    >>
    >> I also bought an AMD Sempron 2300+ to go in it.
    >>
    >> http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=19-104-209&depa=0
    >>
    >> As well as 1 gig of Kingston ram.
    >>
    >> Well as soon as I got everything hooked up. I thought everything was
    >> good.
    >>
    >> The fans came on... then I noticed it didn't beep and I couldn't get
    >> any video.
    >>
    >> After some googling I found a bios update that enables Sempron
    >> support. Well I figured this would be a catch22 trying to get this
    >> thing on there since if I could put a bios update on it, I wouldn't
    >> NEED the bios update. :P
    >>
    >> WELL, I just decided to put an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ from another
    >> machine in it.. Same issue...
    >>
    >> I've tried to clear the bios about 100+ times, same thing. I've done
    >> everything the manual has suggested and much more.
    >>
    >> I've removed everything but the cpu, cpufan/heatsink, and gaphics
    >> card. I've even tried removing THAT. No beep what-so-ever.
    >>
    >> I'm pretty baffled.
    >>
    >> If anyone has any suggestions you would be helping me out very much.

    I just got the same system and got an AMD 2900 instead. I had the
    exact same problems and AFTER resetting the cpu everything seems fine.
    I have a different issue though, the system seems to be running at
    1000mhz not 2900mhz. I used Evergreen system checker and dxdiag and
    both say 1000mhz. I am using pc2100 memory could this be the problem?
    I changed the bios to use the optimal settings but that didn't seem to
    help.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    > I just got the same system and got an AMD 2900 instead. I had the
    > exact same problems and AFTER resetting the cpu everything seems fine.
    > I have a different issue though, the system seems to be running at
    > 1000mhz not 2900mhz. I used Evergreen system checker and dxdiag and
    > both say 1000mhz. I am using pc2100 memory could this be the problem?
    > I changed the bios to use the optimal settings but that didn't seem to
    > help.

    What BIOS version are you running? From what I understand, upgrading the
    BIOS will enable it to see the 2900+. I, too, just purchased one of these
    systems and the 2900+ shows up as a 2600+ in WinXP. Waiting on floppy drive
    to arrive so I can flash and get that extra .8 Mhz. BTW, have 1GB of PC3200
    memory.
    Latest BIOS:

    vkpe2aa4 2005-03-09
    http://www.soyo.com.tw/downloads/selectresults.php?col2=304