On board USB 2.0 stopped working

Hello everyone, I hope someone can help me with this issue, it's been driving
me nuts for weeks!

My system:
ASUS P4S533-VM
Windows XP Pro SP2
4 on-board USB ports
Device Manager shows "SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller"

Problem: USB 2.0 suddenly stopped working. Device Manager shows 2 Unknown
Devices. If I disable the Enhanced Host Controller, the unknown devices get
detected (Epson scanner and D-Link USB hub), but they are running only as USB
1.1 or slower. If I enable the Host Controller, they become unknown devices
again.

I already updated the BIOS to latest version, SiS and D-Link says WinXP
should detect and install the drivers for the USB. Re-installed SP2 already.
Same behaviour when I plug-in my digital camera.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Try in device mgr,R.click on the usb controller,update drivers.

"MGS3" wrote:

> Hello everyone, I hope someone can help me with this issue, it's been driving
> me nuts for weeks!
>
> My system:
> ASUS P4S533-VM
> Windows XP Pro SP2
> 4 on-board USB ports
> Device Manager shows "SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller"
>
> Problem: USB 2.0 suddenly stopped working. Device Manager shows 2 Unknown
> Devices. If I disable the Enhanced Host Controller, the unknown devices get
> detected (Epson scanner and D-Link USB hub), but they are running only as USB
> 1.1 or slower. If I enable the Host Controller, they become unknown devices
> again.
>
> I already updated the BIOS to latest version, SiS and D-Link says WinXP
> should detect and install the drivers for the USB. Re-installed SP2 already.
> Same behaviour when I plug-in my digital camera.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Yep, did that before. I get:
"The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the
software you currently have installed."

I also unplugged all USB devices, then uninstalled all USB in device
manager, rebooted and let WinXP detect everything again. Did this in Safe
Mode and Normal mode. Same result.

The thing is, it was working for maybe a year or so since SP1, and when I
upgraded to SP2. Then a few weeks ago, it just stopped.

Thanks for the suggestion.

"Andrew E." wrote:

> Try in device mgr,R.click on the usb controller,update drivers.
>
> "MGS3" wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone, I hope someone can help me with this issue, it's been driving
> > me nuts for weeks!
> >
> > My system:
> > ASUS P4S533-VM
> > Windows XP Pro SP2
> > 4 on-board USB ports
> > Device Manager shows "SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller"
> >
> > Problem: USB 2.0 suddenly stopped working. Device Manager shows 2 Unknown
> > Devices. If I disable the Enhanced Host Controller, the unknown devices get
> > detected (Epson scanner and D-Link USB hub), but they are running only as USB
> > 1.1 or slower. If I enable the Host Controller, they become unknown devices
> > again.
> >
> > I already updated the BIOS to latest version, SiS and D-Link says WinXP
> > should detect and install the drivers for the USB. Re-installed SP2 already.
> > Same behaviour when I plug-in my digital camera.
> >
> > Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS