Clogged Epson Stylus Color 860

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
July 15, 2004 9:57:49 AM

Any suggestions on the best way to thoroughly clean this printer?

I'm assuming the print head nozzles are clogged, because nothing
is getting printed, though the printer is going through all the
motions. I've tried repeated cleaning and test cycles. I took
out the existing cartridges, and tried someone's suggestion from
this newsgroup to fill a couple of empty cartridges with Windex
to loosen up the dried ink in the heads from the inside, and
another suggestion of putting some Windex on the cleaning pad
- nothing has worked.
July 15, 2004 2:15:51 PM

Any chance the printer is still under warranty? My C82 is the 4th one I've
received due to clogging. If you have a warranty, call them up ASAP before
it's gone!

As for your own repairs, what seems to be said works best is running the
windex/cleaning cartridges

"aprestn5" <aprestn5@telus.net> wrote in message
> Any suggestions on the best way to thoroughly clean this printer?
>
> I'm assuming the print head nozzles are clogged, because nothing
> is getting printed, though the printer is going through all the
> motions. I've tried repeated cleaning and test cycles. I took
> out the existing cartridges, and tried someone's suggestion from
> this newsgroup to fill a couple of empty cartridges with Windex
> to loosen up the dried ink in the heads from the inside, and
> another suggestion of putting some Windex on the cleaning pad
> - nothing has worked.

Anonymous
July 16, 2004 4:02:59 AM

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 05:57:49 GMT, aprestn5 <aprestn5@telus.net> wrote:

>Any suggestions on the best way to thoroughly clean this printer?
>
>I'm assuming the print head nozzles are clogged, because nothing
>is getting printed, though the printer is going through all the
>motions. I've tried repeated cleaning and test cycles. I took
>out the existing cartridges, and tried someone's suggestion from
>this newsgroup to fill a couple of empty cartridges with Windex
>to loosen up the dried ink in the heads from the inside, and
>another suggestion of putting some Windex on the cleaning pad
>- nothing has worked.

Did the windex have ammomia in it? (Get one that does, if not and try
again.) Best solution I found to my clogging epson was to disconnect
it and buy a Canon. : )

Allan.
July 16, 2004 5:25:21 AM

Just Allan wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 05:57:49 GMT, aprestn5 <aprestn5@telus.net> wrote:
>
>>Any suggestions on the best way to thoroughly clean this printer?
>>
>>I'm assuming the print head nozzles are clogged, because nothing
>>is getting printed, though the printer is going through all the
>>motions. I've tried repeated cleaning and test cycles. I took
>>out the existing cartridges, and tried someone's suggestion from
>>this newsgroup to fill a couple of empty cartridges with Windex
>>to loosen up the dried ink in the heads from the inside, and
>>another suggestion of putting some Windex on the cleaning pad
>>- nothing has worked.
>
> Did the windex have ammomia in it? (Get one that does, if not and try
> again.)

Yes.

> Best solution I found to my clogging epson was to disconnect
> it and buy a Canon. : )

Not a valid option here. As I've told the local Canon sales rep, I won't
even consider buying a Canon printer until they produce drivers I can use.

Al.
Anonymous
July 16, 2004 5:35:12 AM

Brian wrote:

> Any chance the printer is still under warranty? My C82 is the 4th one I've
> received due to clogging. If you have a warranty, call them up ASAP before
> it's gone!

No, I bought it used.

> As for your own repairs, what seems to be said works best is running the
> windex/cleaning cartridges

Guess I'll keep trying that approach - the real problem seems to be getting
at whatever dried ink is on the apparently inaccessible nozzles of the
print head itself - none of the fluid (either ink or windex) seems to be
getting through from the cartridges to said nozzles. I'm beginning to get
the idea I might need to disassemble the entire head carriage assembly....

Al

> "aprestn5" <aprestn5@telus.net> wrote in message
>> Any suggestions on the best way to thoroughly clean this printer?
>>
>> I'm assuming the print head nozzles are clogged, because nothing
>> is getting printed, though the printer is going through all the
>> motions. I've tried repeated cleaning and test cycles. I took
>> out the existing cartridges, and tried someone's suggestion from
>> this newsgroup to fill a couple of empty cartridges with Windex
>> to loosen up the dried ink in the heads from the inside, and
>> another suggestion of putting some Windex on the cleaning pad
>> - nothing has worked.

Anonymous
July 16, 2004 8:59:21 AM

I've bought 8 different Canon models of printers and MP
this year and have not had a single driver problem,
whatsoever.

What platform are you on?

--
WeInk.com Technical Support
Toll Free Support: 1-888-825-0759
> Not a valid option here. As I've told the local Canon sales rep, I won't
> even consider buying a Canon printer until they produce drivers I can use.
>
> Al.
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 4:09:52 AM

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 05:57:49 GMT, aprestn5 <aprestn5@telus.net> wrote:

>Any suggestions on the best way to thoroughly clean this printer?
>
>I'm assuming the print head nozzles are clogged, because nothing
>is getting printed, though the printer is going through all the
>motions. I've tried repeated cleaning and test cycles. I took
>out the existing cartridges, and tried someone's suggestion from
>this newsgroup to fill a couple of empty cartridges with Windex
>to loosen up the dried ink in the heads from the inside, and
>another suggestion of putting some Windex on the cleaning pad
>- nothing has worked.

You can remove the pint head and soak it in 1/16" of Windex, DO NOT COVER THE
PRINT HEAD, for about a hour, then do it again, then soak it in some warm
water twice for 1 hour each, then wipe it try with some face tissues,..

The print head capping station does need to be completely cleaned, remove all
the ink soaked paper dust etc..

The Other problem is air locks..

July 17, 2004 5:31:31 AM

WeInk.com Technical Support wrote:

> I've bought 8 different Canon models of printers and MP
> this year and have not had a single driver problem,
> whatsoever.
>
> What platform are you on?

Linux Mandrake 9.2 (2.4x kernel). What Linux drivers exist for Canon
printers are third party, designed for older printers, and very limited.
Canon does not provide Linux drivers for their printers.

Al
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 5:45:24 AM

puss@purrpurr.com wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 05:57:49 GMT, aprestn5 <aprestn5@telus.net> wrote:
>
>>Any suggestions on the best way to thoroughly clean this printer?
>>
>>I'm assuming the print head nozzles are clogged, because nothing
>>is getting printed, though the printer is going through all the
>>motions. I've tried repeated cleaning and test cycles. I took
>>out the existing cartridges, and tried someone's suggestion from
>>this newsgroup to fill a couple of empty cartridges with Windex
>>to loosen up the dried ink in the heads from the inside, and
>>another suggestion of putting some Windex on the cleaning pad
>>- nothing has worked.
>>

> You can remove the pint head and soak it in 1/16" of Windex, DO NOT COVER
> THE
> PRINT HEAD, for about a hour, then do it again, then soak it in some warm
> water twice for 1 hour each, then wipe it try with some face tissues,..

I haven't yet figured out how to the remove the print head short of taking
apart the whole carriage assembly. I'm not talking about the cartridges
themselves, but the black plastic cartridge holder that has the actual
print heads and the hollow pins that carry the ink from the cartridges
through to the heads.

> The print head capping station does need to be completely cleaned, remove
> all the ink soaked paper dust etc..

Which part are you referring to as the capping station?

> The Other problem is air locks..

And what's the procedure to deal with air locks?

Al
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 3:04:50 AM

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 01:45:24 GMT, aprestn5 <aprestn5@telus.net> wrote:

>puss@purrpurr.com wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 05:57:49 GMT, aprestn5 <aprestn5@telus.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Any suggestions on the best way to thoroughly clean this printer?
>>>
>>>I'm assuming the print head nozzles are clogged, because nothing
>>>is getting printed, though the printer is going through all the
>>>motions. I've tried repeated cleaning and test cycles. I took
>>>out the existing cartridges, and tried someone's suggestion from
>>>this newsgroup to fill a couple of empty cartridges with Windex
>>>to loosen up the dried ink in the heads from the inside, and
>>>another suggestion of putting some Windex on the cleaning pad
>>>- nothing has worked.
>>>

>> You can remove the pint head and soak it in 1/16" of Windex, DO NOT COVER
>> THE
>> PRINT HEAD, for about a hour, then do it again, then soak it in some warm
>> water twice for 1 hour each, then wipe it try with some face tissues,..
>
>I haven't yet figured out how to the remove the print head short of taking
>apart the whole carriage assembly. I'm not talking about the cartridges
>themselves, but the black plastic cartridge holder that has the actual
>print heads and the hollow pins that carry the ink from the cartridges
>through to the heads.

If you have never done any servicing then leave well alown, these is some info
on the web for a 740.

>> The print head capping station does need to be completely cleaned, remove
>> all the ink soaked paper dust etc..
>
>Which part are you referring to as the capping station?

Seems that you know little about Epson Printers, take it to a service center
and get it cleaned.

>> The Other problem is air locks..
>
>And what's the procedure to deal with air locks?

Lots of Cleaning cycles.

>Al

July 18, 2004 7:24:26 PM

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 01:35:12 GMT, aprestn5 <aprestn5@telus.net> wrote:

>> As for your own repairs, what seems to be said works best is running the
>> windex/cleaning cartridges
>
>Guess I'll keep trying that approach - the real problem seems to be getting
>at whatever dried ink is on the apparently inaccessible nozzles of the
>print head itself - none of the fluid (either ink or windex) seems to be
>getting through from the cartridges to said nozzles. I'm beginning to get
>the idea I might need to disassemble the entire head carriage assembly....

Another thing I used to do is, under the printhead - the soft patch
that the heads park over - I used to soak this with isopropyl alcohol,
allow the heads to return to position and leave them there a day (or
more). You could try this with the ammonia windex. There are some
people who just can't get them unclogged and either canabalise another
printer, or, give up. : (

I've heard some people have trouble with the drivers - it seems to be
those with networks!? (Maybe not, tho'.)

Allan.
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 7:38:23 PM

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 08:28:45 -0400, Rob
<tele*deletethis*manr@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>ONLY IDIOTS HAVE PROBLEM WITN EPSONS..
>
>Nonsense.

That's a good summary too. : )
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 10:06:56 AM

puss@purrpurr.com wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 05:57:49 GMT, aprestn5 <aprestn5@telus.net> wrote:
>
>>Any suggestions on the best way to thoroughly clean this printer?
>>
>>I'm assuming the print head nozzles are clogged, because nothing
>>is getting printed, though the printer is going through all the
>>motions. I've tried repeated cleaning and test cycles. I took
>>out the existing cartridges, and tried someone's suggestion from
>>this newsgroup to fill a couple of empty cartridges with Windex
>>to loosen up the dried ink in the heads from the inside, and
>>another suggestion of putting some Windex on the cleaning pad
>>- nothing has worked.
>>

> You can remove the pint head and soak it in 1/16" of Windex, DO NOT COVER
> THE
> PRINT HEAD, for about a hour, then do it again, then soak it in some warm
> water twice for 1 hour each, then wipe it try with some face tissues,..
>
> The print head capping station does need to be completely cleaned, remove
> all the ink soaked paper dust etc..

Another question arises here - is the print head capping station supposed to
have a couple of springs or some such to help push it up against the head?
Mine isn't making full contact with the head, ergo no vacuum on the nozzles
during the cleaning cycle.

Al Preston
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 3:05:05 AM

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 06:06:56 GMT, aprestn5 <aprestn5@telus.net> wrote:

>puss@purrpurr.com wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 05:57:49 GMT, aprestn5 <aprestn5@telus.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Any suggestions on the best way to thoroughly clean this printer?
>>>
>>>I'm assuming the print head nozzles are clogged, because nothing
>>>is getting printed, though the printer is going through all the
>>>motions. I've tried repeated cleaning and test cycles. I took
>>>out the existing cartridges, and tried someone's suggestion from
>>>this newsgroup to fill a couple of empty cartridges with Windex
>>>to loosen up the dried ink in the heads from the inside, and
>>>another suggestion of putting some Windex on the cleaning pad
>>>- nothing has worked.
>>>

>> You can remove the pint head and soak it in 1/16" of Windex, DO NOT COVER
>> THE
>> PRINT HEAD, for about a hour, then do it again, then soak it in some warm
>> water twice for 1 hour each, then wipe it try with some face tissues,..
>>
>> The print head capping station does need to be completely cleaned, remove
>> all the ink soaked paper dust etc..
>
>Another question arises here - is the print head capping station supposed to
>have a couple of springs or some such to help push it up against the head?
>Mine isn't making full contact with the head, ergo no vacuum on the nozzles
>during the cleaning cycle.
>
>Al Preston

Seems like its clogged up with ink, I am trying to think if the Capping thing
is on a Ramp that gets push up but the Print head returning to its home
position..

The Use a Tube type vacuumed pump to clean the head nozzles, or they did on a
740 I cleaned up..

July 20, 2004 3:06:49 AM

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 06:06:56 GMT, aprestn5 <aprestn5@telus.net> wrote:

>puss@purrpurr.com wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 05:57:49 GMT, aprestn5 <aprestn5@telus.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Any suggestions on the best way to thoroughly clean this printer?
>>>
>>>I'm assuming the print head nozzles are clogged, because nothing
>>>is getting printed, though the printer is going through all the
>>>motions. I've tried repeated cleaning and test cycles. I took
>>>out the existing cartridges, and tried someone's suggestion from
>>>this newsgroup to fill a couple of empty cartridges with Windex
>>>to loosen up the dried ink in the heads from the inside, and
>>>another suggestion of putting some Windex on the cleaning pad
>>>- nothing has worked.
>>>

>> You can remove the pint head and soak it in 1/16" of Windex, DO NOT COVER
>> THE
>> PRINT HEAD, for about a hour, then do it again, then soak it in some warm
>> water twice for 1 hour each, then wipe it try with some face tissues,..
>>
>> The print head capping station does need to be completely cleaned, remove
>> all the ink soaked paper dust etc..
>
>Another question arises here - is the print head capping station supposed to
>have a couple of springs or some such to help push it up against the head?
>Mine isn't making full contact with the head, ergo no vacuum on the nozzles
>during the cleaning cycle.
>
>Al Preston

I have some Epson Manuals and will have a look, is it for a 860..?

If the manual it not that big I could e-mail it to you.

July 20, 2004 9:10:54 AM

puss@purrpurr.com wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 06:06:56 GMT, aprestn5 <aprestn5@telus.net> wrote:
>
>>puss@purrpurr.com wrote:

>>> The print head capping station does need to be completely cleaned,
>>> remove all the ink soaked paper dust etc..
>>
>>Another question arises here - is the print head capping station supposed
>>to have a couple of springs or some such to help push it up against the
>>head? Mine isn't making full contact with the head, ergo no vacuum on the
>>nozzles during the cleaning cycle.
>>
>>Al Preston
>
> Seems like its clogged up with ink, I am trying to think if the Capping
> thing is on a Ramp that gets push up but the Print head returning to its
> home position..

Something like that. It occurred to me tonight to have a look at my wife's
Epson 777 to see if it used a similar setup. Guess what... it looks like
the same or very similar parts were used, and there *are* two springs
pushing up the capping cup - on my 680 the springs are missing. My guess is
that without the springs, the cap on mine isn't sealing against the heads,
hence no ink (or cleaning solution) is being pulled through the head during
cleaning, nor is the head sealed when at rest, which is probably why the
thing got so badly clogged in the first place. I think I've found the root
of the problem.

Now to find a couple of replacement springs and try the whole cleaning
process again.......

> The Use a Tube type vacuumed pump to clean the head nozzles, or they did
> on a 740 I cleaned up..

From the reading I've been doing, that's common to most Epson inkjets.

Al Preston
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 9:14:28 AM

puss@purrpurr.com wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 06:06:56 GMT, aprestn5 <aprestn5@telus.net> wrote:
>
>>puss@purrpurr.com wrote:

>>> You can remove the pint head and soak it in 1/16" of Windex, DO NOT
>>> COVER THE
>>> PRINT HEAD, for about a hour, then do it again, then soak it in some
>>> warm water twice for 1 hour each, then wipe it try with some face
>>> tissues,..
>>>
>>> The print head capping station does need to be completely cleaned,
>>> remove all the ink soaked paper dust etc..
>>
>>Another question arises here - is the print head capping station supposed
>>to have a couple of springs or some such to help push it up against the
>>head? Mine isn't making full contact with the head, ergo no vacuum on the
>>nozzles during the cleaning cycle.
>>
>>Al Preston
>

> I have some Epson Manuals and will have a look, is it for a 860..?

Yes, it is an 860.

> If the manual it not that big I could e-mail it to you.

I downloaded a 740 service manual and some other stuff late last night but
haven't had a look yet to see if said other stuff is relevant to the 860.

Al Preston
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 10:07:16 AM

Before taking anything apart, contact me via private email, and I will
send you a free manual which provides a number of suggestions on how to
unclog your printer.

Art

aprestn5 wrote:

> Brian wrote:
>

>>Any chance the printer is still under warranty? My C82 is the 4th one I've
>>received due to clogging. If you have a warranty, call them up ASAP before
>>it's gone!
>

> No, I bought it used.
>
>>As for your own repairs, what seems to be said works best is running the
>>windex/cleaning cartridges
>

> Guess I'll keep trying that approach - the real problem seems to be getting
> at whatever dried ink is on the apparently inaccessible nozzles of the
> print head itself - none of the fluid (either ink or windex) seems to be
> getting through from the cartridges to said nozzles. I'm beginning to get
> the idea I might need to disassemble the entire head carriage assembly....
>
> Al
>

>>"aprestn5" <aprestn5@telus.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Any suggestions on the best way to thoroughly clean this printer?
>>>
>>>I'm assuming the print head nozzles are clogged, because nothing
>>>is getting printed, though the printer is going through all the
>>>motions. I've tried repeated cleaning and test cycles. I took
>>>out the existing cartridges, and tried someone's suggestion from
>>>this newsgroup to fill a couple of empty cartridges with Windex
>>>to loosen up the dried ink in the heads from the inside, and
>>>another suggestion of putting some Windex on the cleaning pad
>>>- nothing has worked.

Anonymous
July 20, 2004 10:35:15 AM

Please email me for a copy of my Epson Cleaning Manual. You should not
have to, nor do you want to remove the head, as you can mess up the
geometry doing so.

There is no charge for the manual.

Art

aprestn5 wrote:

> puss@purrpurr.com wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 05:57:49 GMT, aprestn5 <aprestn5@telus.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Any suggestions on the best way to thoroughly clean this printer?
>>>
>>>I'm assuming the print head nozzles are clogged, because nothing
>>>is getting printed, though the printer is going through all the
>>>motions. I've tried repeated cleaning and test cycles. I took
>>>out the existing cartridges, and tried someone's suggestion from
>>>this newsgroup to fill a couple of empty cartridges with Windex
>>>to loosen up the dried ink in the heads from the inside, and
>>>another suggestion of putting some Windex on the cleaning pad
>>>- nothing has worked.
>>>

>>You can remove the pint head and soak it in 1/16" of Windex, DO NOT COVER
>>THE
>>PRINT HEAD, for about a hour, then do it again, then soak it in some warm
>>water twice for 1 hour each, then wipe it try with some face tissues,..
>

> I haven't yet figured out how to the remove the print head short of taking
> apart the whole carriage assembly. I'm not talking about the cartridges
> themselves, but the black plastic cartridge holder that has the actual
> print heads and the hollow pins that carry the ink from the cartridges
> through to the heads.
>
>>The print head capping station does need to be completely cleaned, remove
>>all the ink soaked paper dust etc..
>

> Which part are you referring to as the capping station?
>

>>The Other problem is air locks..
>

> And what's the procedure to deal with air locks?
>
> Al
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 12:21:50 PM

aprestn5 wrote:

> Another question arises here - is the print head capping station supposed to
> have a couple of springs or some such to help push it up against the head?
> Mine isn't making full contact with the head, ergo no vacuum on the nozzles
> during the cleaning cycle.
>
> Al Preston

All of the Epson printers I own have spring loaded cleaning stations
which push the cleaning station up and seal it against the underpart of
the head. Yes, a seal is required for the vacuum pump to do its job.

Art
November 1, 2008 10:39:16 PM

For my Photo 870, I found that getting to the Home position/Cleaning station area on the right is a lot easier if you remove the top cover. Two screws in the front and two in the back, then it lifts off. The Cleaning station was a mess. Make sure you wear rubber gloves. The ammonia based cleaners work great. Thanks to earlier posters for that suggestion. When you go to put the cover back on, move the purple lever to the back first.
What I ended up doing to clean my clogged printhead nozzles was to take about a half sheet of paper towel wetted with the cleaning solution, fold it into a strip about an inch wide and lay it in the black track between the rollers and manually slide the printhead over the paper towel back and forth. The printhead normally locks in the right position, so press the button to change cartridges and when the printhead moves to the left, pull the power cord. After that you can slide the printhead back and forth. WM
!