error loading OS

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
May 17, 2005 8:30:49 AM

I have built several Soyo Systems (KT400, KT600), but my recent endeavor has
been the SY-K7VME. Trying to install WinXP (sp2 included) and all I get is
"error loading OS". I upgraded the Bios and that did not change anything.
I have it set to load optimal performance as well. Any help would be much
appreciated. Here are the specs of the build.

80 GB Western Digital 72,00 8MB Hard Drive
AMD XP 2500+ (333 FSB)
Dyna Copper Core CPU Cooler (up to 3200+)
512 Kingston KVR PC2700 DDR
1 80mm Case fan in the CHA FAN 3 Pin
NEC 1.44 FLOPPY

Using Onboard Video and no PCI slots are being used
Using 1 52X CD ROM

More about : error loading

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 20, 2005 10:54:42 PM

Hi,

You did not tell us if you get this error when booting off of the
XP CD, or after install when booting off of the hard disk.

Some possibilities to check, from simple to expensive:

-Wrong boot order in BIOS
-non-bootable floppy in floppy drive
-Bad/flipped CD-ROM cable
-Bad master/slave setting on CD-ROM drive
-Bad XP CD
-Bad/flipped HD (Hard Disk) cable
-Bad master/slave setting on HD
-Did not fdisk HD
-Did not format HD

I would format an XP or W2K recovery floppy on another system and just
see if you can fdisk and format the HD. Then retry the install.

Ken.
Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!
a b V Motherboard
May 21, 2005 8:08:24 AM

Thanks for the reply Ken, I get the message after the initial XP install and
trying to boot from the HD. I have used the WD utilities CD to format the
HD and as far as the Bios order I am choosing "optimal values".

"Ken Marsh" <kmarsh@fellspt.charm.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> You did not tell us if you get this error when booting off of the
> XP CD, or after install when booting off of the hard disk.
>
> Some possibilities to check, from simple to expensive:
>
> -Wrong boot order in BIOS
> -non-bootable floppy in floppy drive
> -Bad/flipped CD-ROM cable
> -Bad master/slave setting on CD-ROM drive
> -Bad XP CD
> -Bad/flipped HD (Hard Disk) cable
> -Bad master/slave setting on HD
> -Did not fdisk HD
> -Did not format HD
>
> I would format an XP or W2K recovery floppy on another system and just
> see if you can fdisk and format the HD. Then retry the install.
>
> Ken.
> Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
> WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS
offices!
a b V Motherboard
May 22, 2005 7:47:51 AM

I had a problem similar and thought it was my power supply. Either I could
not fully install Windows XP Home or the computer might show errors or
lockup when trying to finish the installation during the reboot.

I changed the power supply to a much better one and still had a problem.
It was that new Kingston RAM module.
I changed to another brand and had no more problems.
I eventually exchanged the Kingston for another Kingston and it is still
fine today. ;-)

Just telling my experience!
later,
dave
(One out of many daves)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 24, 2005 10:18:06 PM

Hi,

In article <Yuyje.506$oT1.105@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
dan0saur <none@none.com> wrote:
#Thanks for the reply Ken, I get the message after the initial XP install and
#trying to boot from the HD. I have used the WD utilities CD to format the
#HD and as far as the Bios order I am choosing "optimal values".

OK, some more things to try:

Without opening the case:

In the BIOS, find the boot order and make sure that Hard Disk or IDE 1
device 1 is set. "Optimal values" could set any old boot order.

I repeat, format an XP or W2K recovery floppy on another system. Use
it to make sure the partition table is readable, the first partition on
the disk is the XP install, and it is flagged as Primary and bootable.

Opening the case:

Make sure the HD is jumpered to "master" and there is no other master on
that cable.

If you have the CD drive and the Hard Disk on the same IDE, remove the
CD drive and see if the HD will boot. If that fixes it, reinstall the CD
drive on IDE #2.

Try a new IDE cable.