Cabinet guy needs help with MAME

Last response: in Video Games
April 12, 2005 9:45:10 AM

Just picked up a couple of computers my friend got from a school
computer sale. The are Compaq Deskpro computers with 500 Mhz
processors. The RAM was only 64Meg so I grabbed the RAM from the other
computer and have it up and running pretty good with 128Meg RAM.

Now I loaded up an couple of older versions of MAME and can't seem to
get it working.

Here is my problem, I fire up MAME and get the start up screen with all
the games. When I pick on a game the screen turns black for a moment
and then it crashes the program and I end up back at the desktop and
the MAME program is closed. I thought it might be a display thing but
haven't had much luck. So where do I begin? I have a copy of MAME .84
that I was also thinking of loading but don't think that will help
anything. I have all of these versions of MAME on my other computer and
they work great. I forgot to state the system is running Windows 95 if
that might be a problem. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
Someday I will it working and when I do it will become my guts to my
MAME cabinet.

Kyle Lindstrom

New email: klindstrom AT uplogon DOT com

More about : cabinet guy mame

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 11:03:06 AM

I don't have access to 98 that I know of. We might have an old copy
laying around at work somewhere. If not is there a version of MAME I
can run on Windows 95? I booted to DOS and tried to get it running
that way but it gave me a message like "This version cannot be run from
DOS" or something like that. Funny how I originated the post but your
reply was listed first. Interesting!!! Thanks for you help.

Kyle

P.S. I will remove all of the .cfg files and such and see if that helps
beacause the files were copied from another computer.

Peale wrote:
> klinstrm@up.net wrote in news:1113309909.758456.27660
> @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:
>
> > they work great. I forgot to state the system is running Windows 95
if
> > that might be a problem. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
>
> Yup, that's a problem. Either boot to DOS mode, or upgrade the
system to
> Windows 98.
> --
> Do you want a free Gaming Console?
> http://consoles.prizecube.com/?ref=12216
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 4:26:14 PM

Well, I did find a copy of Windows 98 here, All our new computers are
running Windows XP. I loaded 98 at lunch and when I went to start MAME
I came across another problem. I'm missing the driver for my monitor so
I have to download that. Right now its defaulting to 16 bit color and
not 256 which MAME requires. So hopefully after downloading the driver
I can get it working.

Thanks for you help Peale!!

Kyle Lindstrom

klinstrm@up.net wrote:
> I don't have access to 98 that I know of. We might have an old copy
> laying around at work somewhere. If not is there a version of MAME I
> can run on Windows 95? I booted to DOS and tried to get it running
> that way but it gave me a message like "This version cannot be run
from
> DOS" or something like that. Funny how I originated the post but your
> reply was listed first. Interesting!!! Thanks for you help.
>
> Kyle
>
> P.S. I will remove all of the .cfg files and such and see if that
helps
> beacause the files were copied from another computer.
>

> Peale wrote:
> > klinstrm@up.net wrote in news:1113309909.758456.27660
> > @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:
> >
> > > they work great. I forgot to state the system is running Windows
95
> if
> > > that might be a problem. Thanks for any help you guys can
provide.

> > Yup, that's a problem. Either boot to DOS mode, or upgrade the
> system to
> > Windows 98.
> > --
> > Do you want a free Gaming Console?
> > http://consoles.prizecube.com/?ref=12216
April 12, 2005 5:35:03 PM

klinstrm@up.net wrote in news:1113309909.758456.27660
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> they work great. I forgot to state the system is running Windows 95 if
> that might be a problem. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Yup, that's a problem. Either boot to DOS mode, or upgrade the system to
Windows 98.
--
Do you want a free Gaming Console?
http://consoles.prizecube.com/?ref=12216
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 5:43:43 PM

Peale wrote:
-----8<-----
> Do you want a free Gaming Console?
> http://consoles.prizecube.com/?ref=12216

I'd /love/ one, thanks, but I don't intend to move to the US any time
soon. <G>

--
Thnik about it!
Dead_Dad

klinstrm@up.net wrote in news:1113314586.580116.234720
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> I don't have access to 98 that I know of. We might have an old copy
> laying around at work somewhere. If not is there a version of MAME I
> can run on Windows 95? I booted to DOS and tried to get it running
> that way but it gave me a message like "This version cannot be run from

That's because you grabbed the Windows version. Get the DOS version.
You will have to look under 'Old Versions' on the Mame.Net site, and just
change the version number in the URL to get what you want.

> DOS" or something like that. Funny how I originated the post but your
> reply was listed first. Interesting!!! Thanks for you help.

Different time zones. Maybe.

--
Do you want a free Gaming Console?
http://consoles.prizecube.com/?ref=12216
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 6:25:24 PM

Dead_Dad <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote in news:jgQ6e.977512
$Xk.441270@pd7tw3no:

> Peale wrote:
> > Do you want a free Gaming Console?
> > http://consoles.prizecube.com/?ref=12216
>
> I'd /love/ one, thanks, but I don't intend to move to the US any time
> soon. <G>

You should, if only to complete my offer.

Think about it!

--
!