v slow network NIC config problem?

Hello

I have 2 PCs

Windows 98 (SE) with a 3COM3c905-TX NIC and

XP Pro with SMC EZ Card 10/100 PCI (SMC 1211TX) NIc

connected via a 10/100 switch and the file transfer seems very slow.

ie can move 3 MB file in 15 secs - approx 2mbps if my maths is
correct !?!

Any ideas please?

Cheers

Geoff

peter

Hi,

The maximum upload is 10Mb=10,000,000 bits=1,250,000 bytes
=1,220.7Kb=1.192MB

In theory, you can transfer files at the maximium 1.192MB per second, but in
practical, as the data are stored in many separate small files in the hdd and
the speed, read/write capacity of the hdd also further reduced the transfer
rate.
So the actual transfer rate through the 10/100 lan card is around 0.5MB per
second or 7.5MB in 15 seconds.

I would suggest you to use firewire cards for both of the computers if you
need to transfer huge amount of data frequently.
--
Peter

"Geoff Cox" wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have 2 PCs
>
> Windows 98 (SE) with a 3COM3c905-TX NIC and
>
> XP Pro with SMC EZ Card 10/100 PCI (SMC 1211TX) NIc
>
> connected via a 10/100 switch and the file transfer seems very slow.
>
> ie can move 3 MB file in 15 secs - approx 2mbps if my maths is
> correct !?!
>
> Any ideas please?
>
> Cheers
>
> Geoff

On Sun, 29 May 2005 21:51:02 -0700, "Peter"
<Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>The maximum upload is 10Mb=10,000,000 bits=1,250,000 bytes
>=1,220.7Kb=1.192MB
>
>In theory, you can transfer files at the maximium 1.192MB per second, but in
>practical, as the data are stored in many separate small files in the hdd and
>the speed, read/write capacity of the hdd also further reduced the transfer
>rate.
>So the actual transfer rate through the 10/100 lan card is around 0.5MB per
>second or 7.5MB in 15 seconds.

Peter

so with both cards being 10/100 and both having full diuplex 100
selected and the switch being the auto-negociate I ought to get 75 MB
in 15 secs? Have I got this right?

I am getting 3MB !!??

Cheers

Geoff

>I would suggest you to use firewire cards for both of the computers if you
>need to transfer huge amount of data frequently.

peter

Hi,

If you are using a correct type of cross-over cable to connect both PCs
directly and configurated correctly, you should get around 75MB in 15
seconds. (assuming both PCs' hdds are PATA133 at 7200rpm.)

Are you sure you are using the correct type of cable?
--
Peter