Soyo overly sensitive to overheating? HELP!

I recently (April) purchased a new Dragon Ultra Platinum KT600 MB. I know
this board is two years old, but I needed a new MB when my old ASUS died,
and got a great deal on it at a local suppliers' closeout sale.

I bought the fastest CPU the board supports, an Athlon XP 3200+, and a good
*solid copper* heatsink. But if I run the processor at full speed, after
just a few hours, the computer spontaneously crashes.

I replaced the fan that came with the sink with one twice as large (was
60mm square by just 10mm high. Replaced it with one 20mm high), and added
two case fans. This dropped my die/case temperatures by almost 8'C <!!!>,
but the crashing persists (usually when the cpu tops 51'C).

The ONLY way to stabilize the computer is to run my processor at a lower-
than-rated speed (changing the settings in BIOS so it thinks it is a 2500
+). When I do, the computer runs cooler and 100% stable.

Before you ask, yes I checked the processor. It is indeed an authentic AMD
Athlon XP 3200+.

The procesor and MB should both tolerate much higher temps (at least into
the mid 60'C range), so I'm at a loss to understand why I crash at just
50'. I didn't spend the extra money on a 3200+ processor just to run it at
2500+. Please help!

--
-*- Bubba -*-

Ever consider it might be the Power Supply? Just a thought...
"Bubba Gump" <a@b.com> wrote in message
>I recently (April) purchased a new Dragon Ultra Platinum KT600 MB. I know
> this board is two years old, but I needed a new MB when my old ASUS died,
> and got a great deal on it at a local suppliers' closeout sale.
>
> I bought the fastest CPU the board supports, an Athlon XP 3200+, and a
> good
> *solid copper* heatsink. But if I run the processor at full speed, after
> just a few hours, the computer spontaneously crashes.
>
> I replaced the fan that came with the sink with one twice as large (was
> 60mm square by just 10mm high. Replaced it with one 20mm high), and added
> two case fans. This dropped my die/case temperatures by almost 8'C <!!!>,
> but the crashing persists (usually when the cpu tops 51'C).
>
> The ONLY way to stabilize the computer is to run my processor at a lower-
> than-rated speed (changing the settings in BIOS so it thinks it is a 2500
> +). When I do, the computer runs cooler and 100% stable.
>
> Before you ask, yes I checked the processor. It is indeed an authentic AMD
> Athlon XP 3200+.
>
> The procesor and MB should both tolerate much higher temps (at least into
> the mid 60'C range), so I'm at a loss to understand why I crash at just
> 50'. I didn't spend the extra money on a 3200+ processor just to run it at
> 2500+. Please help!
>
> --
> -*- Bubba -*-

"Bubba Gump" <a@b.com> wrote in message
> I recently (April) purchased a new Dragon Ultra Platinum KT600 MB. I know
> this board is two years old, but I needed a new MB when my old ASUS died,
> and got a great deal on it at a local suppliers' closeout sale.
>
> I bought the fastest CPU the board supports, an Athlon XP 3200+, and a
good
> *solid copper* heatsink. But if I run the processor at full speed, after
> just a few hours, the computer spontaneously crashes.

What are you using for your heatsink compound?

You know what PCM is?

Athlon XP warranty requires heat sink compound be of the PCM (phase change
material) variety.

I would be surprised if a local computer store even had it. I've never
seeen one that did. You have to order the stuff direct from the
manufacturer.

I had a heck of a time getting them to stick to the heat sink without
tearing them apart. I found its works best just rolling the material up
into a little ball and then flatten it back out on the heatsink using a
round magic marker. Its about consistancy of silly puddy.

PCM is the stuff that is on the on the HeatSinks that comes with
CPU/HeatSink packaged from AMD..

Its a different color depending on the manufacture.

If interested I will give you the source I used.. It was in Cleveland, Ohio
and one of the approved sources by AMD for the Athlon XP.

JoshIII
upstate south carolina