Problem Securing Network

I have a problem securing my WiFI network. Wyhen I use it in encrypted It
nworks fine. However when I switch on either WEP or WPA security setting I
can not get me LAptop to find the network. I have installed via the wireless
setup wizard and entered in the correct key, but niether type of encryption
works, and when I go and check out the settings the Key seemd to have changed
in Microsoft. I have an Intel 220bg wirless network card in the laptop and
have tried updating the driver and the software but it still does no work. I
also have an e-tech Wifi router.

Does anyone have a solution for a frustrated person,

What version of Windows are you using?

Also, is your router broadcasting its SSID (name)? If you use XP and
WEP/WPA encryption, your router needs to broadcast its SSID.

Finally, if you are copy/paste-ing the key from your router's configuration
screen, you may need to initially paste the key into notepad, copy the key
from notepad, and only then paste it into XP's wireless utility. I do not
know if this is still the case, but XP could not accept HTML-formatted
encryption keys (at least prior to SP2).

-Yves

"Lee Ayres" <Lee Ayres@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a problem securing my WiFI network. Wyhen I use it in encrypted It
> nworks fine. However when I switch on either WEP or WPA security setting I
> can not get me LAptop to find the network. I have installed via the
> wireless
> setup wizard and entered in the correct key, but niether type of
> encryption
> works, and when I go and check out the settings the Key seemd to have
> changed
> in Microsoft. I have an Intel 220bg wirless network card in the laptop and
> have tried updating the driver and the software but it still does no work.
> also have an e-tech Wifi router.
>
> Does anyone have a solution for a frustrated person,

Also, You'll need to copy the hex version of the key not the ascii one.

Yves Konigshofer escribió:
> What version of Windows are you using?
>
> Also, is your router broadcasting its SSID (name)? If you use XP and
> WEP/WPA encryption, your router needs to broadcast its SSID.
>
> Finally, if you are copy/paste-ing the key from your router's configuration
> screen, you may need to initially paste the key into notepad, copy the key
> from notepad, and only then paste it into XP's wireless utility. I do not
> know if this is still the case, but XP could not accept HTML-formatted
> encryption keys (at least prior to SP2).
>
> -Yves
>
> "Lee Ayres" <Lee Ayres@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>I have a problem securing my WiFI network. Wyhen I use it in encrypted It
>>nworks fine. However when I switch on either WEP or WPA security setting I
>>can not get me LAptop to find the network. I have installed via the
>>wireless
>>setup wizard and entered in the correct key, but niether type of
>>encryption
>>works, and when I go and check out the settings the Key seemd to have
>>changed
>>in Microsoft. I have an Intel 220bg wirless network card in the laptop and
>>have tried updating the driver and the software but it still does no work.
>>also have an e-tech Wifi router.
>>
>>Does anyone have a solution for a frustrated person,

TRENDING THREADS