Digital camcorder no longer works with XP SP2

Since installing SP2 I have discovered that my digital camcorder no longer
works with the firewire port. I have reinstalled the firewire port and any
software that I use for recording - all to no avail.
I have tested the camcorder on my TV and my husbands MAC and there are no
problems with either.
I have since purchased a laptop with XP SP2 installed and it doesn't work on
this either (different software as well - using media player).
I am now stuck and don't know what else I can try.
..
The problem is that it picks up the camera but when I play the movie, it
comes out pixcelated and just 'hangs' on that last 'image'. Prior to SP2 it
played perfectly.
..
I have tested the firewire port on another non SP2 machine and it works fine.
..
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I need to get a friends
wedding video onto DVD for them.
8 answers Last reply
More about digital camcorder longer works

    Either an updated SP2 compatible driver for the camera, or uninstall SP2
    till you get one.

    Sooz wrote:

    > Since installing SP2 I have discovered that my digital camcorder no longer
    > works with the firewire port. I have reinstalled the firewire port and any
    > software that I use for recording - all to no avail.
    > I have tested the camcorder on my TV and my husbands MAC and there are no
    > problems with either.
    > I have since purchased a laptop with XP SP2 installed and it doesn't work on
    > this either (different software as well - using media player).
    > I am now stuck and don't know what else I can try.
    > .
    > The problem is that it picks up the camera but when I play the movie, it
    > comes out pixcelated and just 'hangs' on that last 'image'. Prior to SP2 it
    > played perfectly.
    > .
    > I have tested the firewire port on another non SP2 machine and it works fine.
    > .
    > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I need to get a friends
    > wedding video onto DVD for them.

    The answer is posted almost on a daily basis in the MovieMaker newsgroup:

    From MVP Graham Hughes:

    It's the SP2 firewire drivers. Here's an explanation from Graham
    Hughes,
    'My Camcorder has stopped working since installing SP2'
    (http://tinyurl.com/c2p89)
    although I would not be as generous to Microsoft. Since the specs. for
    firewire have been out for a long time. '1394ta.org'
    (http://1394ta.org/)
    If you want, you can try to revert back to SP1 drivers by trying this;
    Go to C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 & C:\dllcache in SP1 and copy out
    the
    following files
    1394bus.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
    arp1394.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
    nic1394.sys is in c:\Windows\System32\Drivers
    ohci1394.sys is in C:\windows\System32\drivers
    enum1394.sys is in C:\windows\system32\drivers
    Copy out the following files to a new folder you can call
    "Firewirefix," (without quotes)

    Stop XP Sp2 from re-installing it's drivers again by:
    Renaming the SP2.cab file to (e.g. to SP2old.cab)

    Replace the SP2 versions of these files with the SP1 versions in
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers & C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache in safe
    mode.

    Go to device manager for your ohci firewire devices and update SP2
    drivers to the SP1 drivers by pointing to Firewirefix.(warning message
    normal) Reboot.

    --
    Cari
    (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

    --
    Treeman

    Hi
    Many thanks for your help (everyone). I have uninstalled service pack 2 on
    my PC and suddenly everything worked fine again (surprised !!). I will try
    the suggestions below on my laptop as this came pre-installed with SP2 (as do
    all new systems nowadays, it seems) so I am unbale to unistall it - I was
    going to resort to installing XP Pro on my partitioned drive and essentially
    have 2 versions of XP (waste of space) so I can boot from this when I needed
    to work on my movies...
    If it works fine for me, then I may well revert back on the PC...
    I hope microsoft will come up with a solution soon as most software seems to
    only work with service pack 1 as well as ports - here's hoping.

    Many thanks again for your help, it is greatly appreciated
    Sooz

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > The answer is posted almost on a daily basis in the MovieMaker newsgroup:
    >
    > From MVP Graham Hughes:
    >
    > It's the SP2 firewire drivers. Here's an explanation from Graham
    > Hughes,
    > 'My Camcorder has stopped working since installing SP2'
    > (http://tinyurl.com/c2p89)
    > although I would not be as generous to Microsoft. Since the specs. for
    > firewire have been out for a long time. '1394ta.org'
    > (http://1394ta.org/)
    > If you want, you can try to revert back to SP1 drivers by trying this;
    > Go to C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 & C:\dllcache in SP1 and copy out
    > the
    > following files
    > 1394bus.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
    > arp1394.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
    > nic1394.sys is in c:\Windows\System32\Drivers
    > ohci1394.sys is in C:\windows\System32\drivers
    > enum1394.sys is in C:\windows\system32\drivers
    > Copy out the following files to a new folder you can call
    > "Firewirefix," (without quotes)
    >
    > Stop XP Sp2 from re-installing it's drivers again by:
    > Renaming the SP2.cab file to (e.g. to SP2old.cab)
    >
    > Replace the SP2 versions of these files with the SP1 versions in
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers & C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache in safe
    > mode.
    >
    > Go to device manager for your ohci firewire devices and update SP2
    > drivers to the SP1 drivers by pointing to Firewirefix.(warning message
    > normal) Reboot.
    >
    > --
    > Cari
    > (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
    >
    > "Sooz" <Sooz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Since installing SP2 I have discovered that my digital camcorder no longer
    > > works with the firewire port. I have reinstalled the firewire port and
    > > any
    > > software that I use for recording - all to no avail.
    > > I have tested the camcorder on my TV and my husbands MAC and there are no
    > > problems with either.
    > > I have since purchased a laptop with XP SP2 installed and it doesn't work
    > > on
    > > this either (different software as well - using media player).
    > > I am now stuck and don't know what else I can try.
    > > .
    > > The problem is that it picks up the camera but when I play the movie, it
    > > comes out pixcelated and just 'hangs' on that last 'image'. Prior to SP2
    > > it
    > > played perfectly.
    > > .
    > > I have tested the firewire port on another non SP2 machine and it works
    > > fine.
    > > .
    > > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I need to get a friends
    > > wedding video onto DVD for them.

    Hi Bob

    I did resort to unistalling service pack 2 on my PC and trying it on there
    and 'surprisingly' it all worked fine. I was unable to unistall on the
    laptop as it cam pre-installed with service pack 2 so had nothing to revert
    back to unfortunately.
    I have been given some great advice about changing the drivers back to SP1
    which I shall try next.
    Would have been good to make SP2 work with firewire though as lots of people
    have had similar problems that I know of - why 'fix' something that isn't
    broken.
    Many thanks for your help
    Sooz

    "Bob I" wrote:

    > Either an updated SP2 compatible driver for the camera, or uninstall SP2
    > till you get one.
    >
    > Sooz wrote:
    >
    > > Since installing SP2 I have discovered that my digital camcorder no longer
    > > works with the firewire port. I have reinstalled the firewire port and any
    > > software that I use for recording - all to no avail.
    > > I have tested the camcorder on my TV and my husbands MAC and there are no
    > > problems with either.
    > > I have since purchased a laptop with XP SP2 installed and it doesn't work on
    > > this either (different software as well - using media player).
    > > I am now stuck and don't know what else I can try.
    > > .
    > > The problem is that it picks up the camera but when I play the movie, it
    > > comes out pixcelated and just 'hangs' on that last 'image'. Prior to SP2 it
    > > played perfectly.
    > > .
    > > I have tested the firewire port on another non SP2 machine and it works fine.
    > > .
    > > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I need to get a friends
    > > wedding video onto DVD for them.

    Glad to hear you got it working again. Ah, the joys of "upgrading". :-)

    Sooz wrote:

    > Hi Bob
    >
    > I did resort to unistalling service pack 2 on my PC and trying it on there
    > and 'surprisingly' it all worked fine. I was unable to unistall on the
    > laptop as it cam pre-installed with service pack 2 so had nothing to revert
    > back to unfortunately.
    > I have been given some great advice about changing the drivers back to SP1
    > which I shall try next.
    > Would have been good to make SP2 work with firewire though as lots of people
    > have had similar problems that I know of - why 'fix' something that isn't
    > broken.
    > Many thanks for your help
    > Sooz
    >
    > "Bob I" wrote:
    >

    >>Either an updated SP2 compatible driver for the camera, or uninstall SP2
    >>till you get one.
    >>
    >>Sooz wrote:
    >>

    >>>Since installing SP2 I have discovered that my digital camcorder no longer
    >>>works with the firewire port. I have reinstalled the firewire port and any
    >>>software that I use for recording - all to no avail.
    >>>I have tested the camcorder on my TV and my husbands MAC and there are no
    >>>problems with either.
    >>>I have since purchased a laptop with XP SP2 installed and it doesn't work on
    >>>this either (different software as well - using media player).
    >>>I am now stuck and don't know what else I can try.
    >>>.
    >>>The problem is that it picks up the camera but when I play the movie, it
    >>>comes out pixcelated and just 'hangs' on that last 'image'. Prior to SP2 it
    >>>played perfectly.
    >>>.
    >>>I have tested the firewire port on another non SP2 machine and it works fine.
    >>>.
    >>>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I need to get a friends
    >>>wedding video onto DVD for them.

    Sooz,
    You can pick the SP1 drivers off any Sp1 CD. They are in the i386
    folder.
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman