Digital camcorder no longer works with XP SP2

June 1, 2005 6:56:02 AM

Since installing SP2 I have discovered that my digital camcorder no longer
works with the firewire port. I have reinstalled the firewire port and any
software that I use for recording - all to no avail.
I have tested the camcorder on my TV and my husbands MAC and there are no
problems with either.
I have since purchased a laptop with XP SP2 installed and it doesn't work on
this either (different software as well - using media player).
I am now stuck and don't know what else I can try.
..
The problem is that it picks up the camera but when I play the movie, it
comes out pixcelated and just 'hangs' on that last 'image'. Prior to SP2 it
played perfectly.
..
I have tested the firewire port on another non SP2 machine and it works fine.
..
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I need to get a friends
wedding video onto DVD for them.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 12:02:35 PM

Either an updated SP2 compatible driver for the camera, or uninstall SP2
till you get one.

Sooz wrote:

> Since installing SP2 I have discovered that my digital camcorder no longer
> works with the firewire port. I have reinstalled the firewire port and any
> software that I use for recording - all to no avail.
> I have tested the camcorder on my TV and my husbands MAC and there are no
> problems with either.
> I have since purchased a laptop with XP SP2 installed and it doesn't work on
> this either (different software as well - using media player).
> I am now stuck and don't know what else I can try.
> .
> The problem is that it picks up the camera but when I play the movie, it
> comes out pixcelated and just 'hangs' on that last 'image'. Prior to SP2 it
> played perfectly.
> .
> I have tested the firewire port on another non SP2 machine and it works fine.
> .
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I need to get a friends
> wedding video onto DVD for them.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 1:59:48 PM

The answer is posted almost on a daily basis in the MovieMaker newsgroup:

From MVP Graham Hughes:

It's the SP2 firewire drivers. Here's an explanation from Graham
Hughes,
'My Camcorder has stopped working since installing SP2'
(http://tinyurl.com/c2p89)
although I would not be as generous to Microsoft. Since the specs. for
firewire have been out for a long time. '1394ta.org'
(http://1394ta.org/)
If you want, you can try to revert back to SP1 drivers by trying this;
Go to C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 & C:\dllcache in SP1 and copy out
the
following files
1394bus.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
arp1394.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
nic1394.sys is in c:\Windows\System32\Drivers
ohci1394.sys is in C:\windows\System32\drivers
enum1394.sys is in C:\windows\system32\drivers
Copy out the following files to a new folder you can call
"Firewirefix," (without quotes)

Stop XP Sp2 from re-installing it's drivers again by:
Renaming the SP2.cab file to (e.g. to SP2old.cab)

Replace the SP2 versions of these files with the SP1 versions in
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers & C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache in safe
mode.

Go to device manager for your ohci firewire devices and update SP2
drivers to the SP1 drivers by pointing to Firewirefix.(warning message
normal) Reboot.

--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

"Sooz" <Sooz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since installing SP2 I have discovered that my digital camcorder no longer
> works with the firewire port. I have reinstalled the firewire port and
> any
> software that I use for recording - all to no avail.
> I have tested the camcorder on my TV and my husbands MAC and there are no
> problems with either.
> I have since purchased a laptop with XP SP2 installed and it doesn't work
> on
> this either (different software as well - using media player).
> I am now stuck and don't know what else I can try.
> .
> The problem is that it picks up the camera but when I play the movie, it
> comes out pixcelated and just 'hangs' on that last 'image'. Prior to SP2
> it
> played perfectly.
> .
> I have tested the firewire port on another non SP2 machine and it works
> fine.
> .
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I need to get a friends
> wedding video onto DVD for them.

June 1, 2005 8:07:26 PM

--
Treeman
Anonymous

Hi
Many thanks for your help (everyone). I have uninstalled service pack 2 on
my PC and suddenly everything worked fine again (surprised !!). I will try
the suggestions below on my laptop as this came pre-installed with SP2 (as do
all new systems nowadays, it seems) so I am unbale to unistall it - I was
going to resort to installing XP Pro on my partitioned drive and essentially
have 2 versions of XP (waste of space) so I can boot from this when I needed
to work on my movies...
If it works fine for me, then I may well revert back on the PC...
I hope microsoft will come up with a solution soon as most software seems to
only work with service pack 1 as well as ports - here's hoping.

Many thanks again for your help, it is greatly appreciated
Sooz

"Treeman" wrote:

> Sooz[/QUOTE Wrote:
> >
> > Hi Sooz,
> > Mr. Graham Hughes has a web site that might help you out. Although I
> > wouldn't be as generous to Microsoft for dorking up firewire in the
> > first place.
> > (What good is security if you can't _use_ your computer to do stuff?)
> > 'My Camcorder has stopped working since installing SP2'
> > (http://tinyurl.com/c2p89)
> > You can try the suggestions on his web page, if you understand
> > computers, you can try rolling back to SP1 firewire drivers. Your
> > mileage may vary, but this has worked for video and audio buffs that
> > need firewire.
> > Go to C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 & C:\dllcache in SP1 and copy out
> > the
> > following files
> > 1394bus.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
> > arp1394.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
> > nic1394.sys is in c:\Windows\System32\Drivers
> > ohci1394.sys is in C:\windows\System32\drivers
> > enum1394.sys is in C:\windows\system32\drivers
> > Copy out the following files to a new folder you can call
> > "Firewirefix," (without quotes)
> >
> > Stop XP Sp2 from re-installing it's drivers again by:
> > Renaming the SP2.cab file to (e.g. to SP2old.cab)
> >
> > Replace the SP2 versions of these files with the SP1 versions in
> > C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers & C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache in safe
> > mode.
> >
> > Go to device manager for your ohci firewire card and update SP2 drivers
> > to the SP1 drivers by pointing to Firewirefix.(warning message normal)
> > Reboot.
> >
> > MSDV.sys is in SP1, Windows\Driver Cache\i386\ driver.cab
> > (Microsoft camera & vcr driver)
> > Copy & Paste to:
> > Windows\system32\Drivers & Windows\system32\dllcache also
> > Windows\lastgood\system32\drivers
> > Rename Sp2old.cab back to Sp2.cab when your done.
> > Hope this helps,
> > Treeman
>

> --
> Treeman

Anonymous
June 2, 2005 6:37:12 AM

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> The answer is posted almost on a daily basis in the MovieMaker newsgroup:
>
> From MVP Graham Hughes:
>
> It's the SP2 firewire drivers. Here's an explanation from Graham
> Hughes,
> 'My Camcorder has stopped working since installing SP2'
> (http://tinyurl.com/c2p89)
> although I would not be as generous to Microsoft. Since the specs. for
> firewire have been out for a long time. '1394ta.org'
> (http://1394ta.org/)
> If you want, you can try to revert back to SP1 drivers by trying this;
> Go to C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 & C:\dllcache in SP1 and copy out
> the
> following files
> 1394bus.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
> arp1394.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
> nic1394.sys is in c:\Windows\System32\Drivers
> ohci1394.sys is in C:\windows\System32\drivers
> enum1394.sys is in C:\windows\system32\drivers
> Copy out the following files to a new folder you can call
> "Firewirefix," (without quotes)
>
> Stop XP Sp2 from re-installing it's drivers again by:
> Renaming the SP2.cab file to (e.g. to SP2old.cab)
>
> Replace the SP2 versions of these files with the SP1 versions in
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers & C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache in safe
> mode.
>
> Go to device manager for your ohci firewire devices and update SP2
> drivers to the SP1 drivers by pointing to Firewirefix.(warning message
> normal) Reboot.
>
> --
> Cari
> (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
>
> "Sooz" <Sooz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Since installing SP2 I have discovered that my digital camcorder no longer
> > works with the firewire port. I have reinstalled the firewire port and
> > any
> > software that I use for recording - all to no avail.
> > I have tested the camcorder on my TV and my husbands MAC and there are no
> > problems with either.
> > I have since purchased a laptop with XP SP2 installed and it doesn't work
> > on
> > this either (different software as well - using media player).
> > I am now stuck and don't know what else I can try.
> > .
> > The problem is that it picks up the camera but when I play the movie, it
> > comes out pixcelated and just 'hangs' on that last 'image'. Prior to SP2
> > it
> > played perfectly.
> > .
> > I have tested the firewire port on another non SP2 machine and it works
> > fine.
> > .
> > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I need to get a friends
> > wedding video onto DVD for them.

Anonymous
June 2, 2005 6:44:03 AM

Hi Bob

I did resort to unistalling service pack 2 on my PC and trying it on there
and 'surprisingly' it all worked fine. I was unable to unistall on the
laptop as it cam pre-installed with service pack 2 so had nothing to revert
back to unfortunately.
I have been given some great advice about changing the drivers back to SP1
which I shall try next.
Would have been good to make SP2 work with firewire though as lots of people
have had similar problems that I know of - why 'fix' something that isn't
broken.
Many thanks for your help
Sooz

"Bob I" wrote:

> Either an updated SP2 compatible driver for the camera, or uninstall SP2
> till you get one.
>
> Sooz wrote:
>
> > Since installing SP2 I have discovered that my digital camcorder no longer
> > works with the firewire port. I have reinstalled the firewire port and any
> > software that I use for recording - all to no avail.
> > I have tested the camcorder on my TV and my husbands MAC and there are no
> > problems with either.
> > I have since purchased a laptop with XP SP2 installed and it doesn't work on
> > this either (different software as well - using media player).
> > I am now stuck and don't know what else I can try.
> > .
> > The problem is that it picks up the camera but when I play the movie, it
> > comes out pixcelated and just 'hangs' on that last 'image'. Prior to SP2 it
> > played perfectly.
> > .
> > I have tested the firewire port on another non SP2 machine and it works fine.
> > .
> > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I need to get a friends
> > wedding video onto DVD for them.

Anonymous
June 2, 2005 12:10:19 PM

Glad to hear you got it working again. Ah, the joys of "upgrading". :-)

!