D-Drive / CD R problems

Hi

I recently lost the ability to use my D Drive - it doesn't recognise CD's or
DVD's. I have followed the trouble shooting guide to no avail. The Dvice
Manager says there are no problems. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled
the drive. When I do this the drive reads CD's but as soon as I try to burn
it becomes unable to read DVD's or CD's in the drive until I reinstall it
again.

Any suggestions?
5 answers Last reply
More about drive problems

    Lasers wear out. Get a new drive.
    --
    Cari
    (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

    "Guy" <Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I recently lost the ability to use my D Drive - it doesn't recognise CD's
    > or
    > DVD's. I have followed the trouble shooting guide to no avail. The Dvice
    > Manager says there are no problems. I have also uninstalled and
    > reinstalled
    > the drive. When I do this the drive reads CD's but as soon as I try to
    > burn
    > it becomes unable to read DVD's or CD's in the drive until I reinstall it
    > again.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Its only 6 months old and not been used very often

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Lasers wear out. Get a new drive.
    > --
    > Cari
    > (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
    >
    > "Guy" <Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I recently lost the ability to use my D Drive - it doesn't recognise CD's
    > > or
    > > DVD's. I have followed the trouble shooting guide to no avail. The Dvice
    > > Manager says there are no problems. I have also uninstalled and
    > > reinstalled
    > > the drive. When I do this the drive reads CD's but as soon as I try to
    > > burn
    > > it becomes unable to read DVD's or CD's in the drive until I reinstall it
    > > again.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions?

    Hey Guy,

    Have you tried updating the firmware of your drive? Go to the manufacturers
    website and check there.

    Newtechie

    > Its only 6 months old and not been used very often
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    > > Lasers wear out. Get a new drive.
    > > --
    > > Cari
    > > (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
    > >
    > > "Guy" <Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi
    > > >
    > > > I recently lost the ability to use my D Drive - it doesn't recognise
    CD's
    > > > or
    > > > DVD's. I have followed the trouble shooting guide to no avail. The
    Dvice
    > > > Manager says there are no problems. I have also uninstalled and
    > > > reinstalled
    > > > the drive. When I do this the drive reads CD's but as soon as I try to
    > > > burn
    > > > it becomes unable to read DVD's or CD's in the drive until I reinstall
    it
    > > > again.
    > > >
    > > > Any suggestions?

    Thanks, looked at it again and noticed that DVD's do work. Just no CD-R's.
    The Sony site did not have any firmware updates for my drive.

    "Newtechie" wrote:

    > Hey Guy,
    >
    > Have you tried updating the firmware of your drive? Go to the manufacturers
    > website and check there.
    >
    > Newtechie
    >
    > "Guy" <Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Its only 6 months old and not been used very often
    > >
    > > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Lasers wear out. Get a new drive.
    > > > --
    > > > Cari
    > > > (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
    > > >
    > > > "Guy" <Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > CD's
    > Dvice
    > it

    Check the Sony site to make sure that the brand you are using is supported.
    Some brands don't work in certain drives.

    > Thanks, looked at it again and noticed that DVD's do work. Just no CD-R's.
    > The Sony site did not have any firmware updates for my drive.
    >
    > "Newtechie" wrote:
    >
    > > Hey Guy,
    > >
    > > Have you tried updating the firmware of your drive? Go to the
    manufacturers
    > > website and check there.
    > >
    > > Newtechie
    > >
    > > "Guy" <Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Its only 6 months old and not been used very often

    > > CD's
    > > Dvice
    > > it

CD-Rom Windows XP