D-Drive / CD R problems

Guy

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003

Hi

I recently lost the ability to use my D Drive - it doesn't recognise CD's or
DVD's. I have followed the trouble shooting guide to no avail. The Dvice
Manager says there are no problems. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled
the drive. When I do this the drive reads CD's but as soon as I try to burn
it becomes unable to read DVD's or CD's in the drive until I reinstall it
again.

Any suggestions?

Lasers wear out. Get a new drive.
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

"Guy" <Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I recently lost the ability to use my D Drive - it doesn't recognise CD's
> or
> DVD's. I have followed the trouble shooting guide to no avail. The Dvice
> Manager says there are no problems. I have also uninstalled and
> reinstalled
> the drive. When I do this the drive reads CD's but as soon as I try to
> burn
> it becomes unable to read DVD's or CD's in the drive until I reinstall it
> again.
>
> Any suggestions?

Guy

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003

Its only 6 months old and not been used very often

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Lasers wear out. Get a new drive.
> --
> Cari
> (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
>
> "Guy" <Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I recently lost the ability to use my D Drive - it doesn't recognise CD's
> > or
> > DVD's. I have followed the trouble shooting guide to no avail. The Dvice
> > Manager says there are no problems. I have also uninstalled and
> > reinstalled
> > the drive. When I do this the drive reads CD's but as soon as I try to
> > burn
> > it becomes unable to read DVD's or CD's in the drive until I reinstall it
> > again.
> >
> > Any suggestions?

Hey Guy,

Have you tried updating the firmware of your drive? Go to the manufacturers
website and check there.

Newtechie

> Its only 6 months old and not been used very often
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
> > Lasers wear out. Get a new drive.
> > --
> > Cari
> > (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
> >
> > "Guy" <Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I recently lost the ability to use my D Drive - it doesn't recognise
CD's
> > > or
> > > DVD's. I have followed the trouble shooting guide to no avail. The
Dvice
> > > Manager says there are no problems. I have also uninstalled and
> > > reinstalled
> > > the drive. When I do this the drive reads CD's but as soon as I try to
> > > burn
> > > it becomes unable to read DVD's or CD's in the drive until I reinstall
it
> > > again.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?

Guy

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003

Thanks, looked at it again and noticed that DVD's do work. Just no CD-R's.
The Sony site did not have any firmware updates for my drive.

"Newtechie" wrote:

> Hey Guy,
>
> Have you tried updating the firmware of your drive? Go to the manufacturers
> website and check there.
>
> Newtechie
>
> "Guy" <Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Its only 6 months old and not been used very often
> >
> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> > > Lasers wear out. Get a new drive.
> > > --
> > > Cari
> > > (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
> > >
> > > "Guy" <Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> CD's
> Dvice
> it

Check the Sony site to make sure that the brand you are using is supported.
Some brands don't work in certain drives.