Could anyone help me with the following issue, please?

I bought a hard-drive which connects through USB. Although it works fine
with Windows 2000 and Millennium, on my Windows XP Professional computer I
get this error:
Whenever I connect it and I try to copy/move files (either from the external
hard-drive to the internal hard-drive, or from the internal hard-drive to the
external hard-drive), it tells me that it cannot copy <name of file> because
it cannot find the file specified. And then I get a 'Windows Delayed Write
Failed' message. And I cannot move anything, even though the computer sees
the hard-drive just fine.

From what I understood from the Internet, I presume it might be a security
issue. But I'll be damned if I know how to fix it.

Can anyone help me, please?

P.S. The HDD does show up in Windows Explorer and in My Computer as drive
F:\. C:\ is the local hard-drive and D:\ and E:\ are DVD-RW and CD-ROM.
But anyway, so it shows up as normal, but the thing is if I copy something
from the external HDD and try to paste it onto the internal HDD (C:) -- or
the other way, from the internal to the external -- I get this error message
as soon as the bar which indicates the process of transferring files shows
the first green line. [You see what I'm trying to say, right?]
***The error messages I get are:
-->first, I get a pop-up error message with the red X thing, saying: "Cannot
copy <the file name is supposed to be here>. Cannot find the file specified."
-->then, I get this yellow dialog box, popping up from the bottom of the
screen, where a yellow triangle with a black exclamation sign also appears:
"Windows - Delayed Write Failed:
Windows was unable to save all the data for the file G:\$Mft. The data has
been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or
network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."
***So, it wants to copy/move the files, but it cannot, for some strange
reason.
Also, if I try to use Nero or Media Player for the files on the external
hard-drive, those programs also fail, because they cannot use the files on
the external hard-drive. Why the hell is that?
***Write caching is disabled, so that's not it. At first, it was enabled, but
even after I disabled it the problem kept persisting.
A million "thank you"s to whoever helps me.

Do you have WinUpdate SP2 installed? Are you using a PCI USB2 Card or
do
you have a direct connection USB2 on
the Motherboard?

"Swordlord" <Swordlord@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Could anyone help me with the following issue, please?
>
> I bought a hard-drive which connects through USB. Although it works fine
> with Windows 2000 and Millennium, on my Windows XP Professional computer I
> get this error:
> Whenever I connect it and I try to copy/move files (either from the
> external
> hard-drive to the internal hard-drive, or from the internal hard-drive to
> the
> external hard-drive), it tells me that it cannot copy <name of file>
> because
> it cannot find the file specified. And then I get a 'Windows Delayed Write
> Failed' message. And I cannot move anything, even though the computer sees
> the hard-drive just fine.
>
> From what I understood from the Internet, I presume it might be a security
> issue. But I'll be damned if I know how to fix it.
>
> Can anyone help me, please?
>
> P.S. The HDD does show up in Windows Explorer and in My Computer as drive
> F:\. C:\ is the local hard-drive and D:\ and E:\ are DVD-RW and CD-ROM.
> But anyway, so it shows up as normal, but the thing is if I copy something
> from the external HDD and try to paste it onto the internal HDD (C:) -- or
> the other way, from the internal to the external -- I get this error
> message
> as soon as the bar which indicates the process of transferring files shows
> the first green line. [You see what I'm trying to say, right?]
> ***The error messages I get are:
> -->first, I get a pop-up error message with the red X thing, saying:
> "Cannot
> copy <the file name is supposed to be here>. Cannot find the file
> specified."
> -->then, I get this yellow dialog box, popping up from the bottom of the
> screen, where a yellow triangle with a black exclamation sign also
> appears:
> "Windows - Delayed Write Failed:
> Windows was unable to save all the data for the file G:\$Mft. The data has
> been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware
> or
> network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."
> ***So, it wants to copy/move the files, but it cannot, for some strange
> reason.
> Also, if I try to use Nero or Media Player for the files on the external
> hard-drive, those programs also fail, because they cannot use the files on
> the external hard-drive. Why the hell is that?
> ***Write caching is disabled, so that's not it. At first, it was enabled,
> but
> even after I disabled it the problem kept persisting.
> A million "thank you"s to whoever helps me.

Thank you very much for the reply, my friend.

I have USB 1.1. But how would I find out if I have a PCI Card or a direct
connection on the Motherboard?

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> Do you have WinUpdate SP2 installed? Are you using a PCI USB2 Card or
> do
> you have a direct connection USB2 on
> the Motherboard?
>
> "Swordlord" <Swordlord@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Could anyone help me with the following issue, please?
> >
> > I bought a hard-drive which connects through USB. Although it works fine
> > with Windows 2000 and Millennium, on my Windows XP Professional computer I
> > get this error:
> > Whenever I connect it and I try to copy/move files (either from the
> > external
> > hard-drive to the internal hard-drive, or from the internal hard-drive to
> > the
> > external hard-drive), it tells me that it cannot copy <name of file>
> > because
> > it cannot find the file specified. And then I get a 'Windows Delayed Write
> > Failed' message. And I cannot move anything, even though the computer sees
> > the hard-drive just fine.
> >
> > From what I understood from the Internet, I presume it might be a security
> > issue. But I'll be damned if I know how to fix it.
> >
> > Can anyone help me, please?
> >
> > P.S. The HDD does show up in Windows Explorer and in My Computer as drive
> > F:\. C:\ is the local hard-drive and D:\ and E:\ are DVD-RW and CD-ROM.
> > But anyway, so it shows up as normal, but the thing is if I copy something
> > from the external HDD and try to paste it onto the internal HDD (C:) -- or
> > the other way, from the internal to the external -- I get this error
> > message
> > as soon as the bar which indicates the process of transferring files shows
> > the first green line. [You see what I'm trying to say, right?]
> > ***The error messages I get are:
> > -->first, I get a pop-up error message with the red X thing, saying:
> > "Cannot
> > copy <the file name is supposed to be here>. Cannot find the file
> > specified."
> > -->then, I get this yellow dialog box, popping up from the bottom of the
> > screen, where a yellow triangle with a black exclamation sign also
> > appears:
> > "Windows - Delayed Write Failed:
> > Windows was unable to save all the data for the file G:\$Mft. The data has
> > been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware
> > or
> > network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."
> > ***So, it wants to copy/move the files, but it cannot, for some strange
> > reason.
> > Also, if I try to use Nero or Media Player for the files on the external
> > hard-drive, those programs also fail, because they cannot use the files on
> > the external hard-drive. Why the hell is that?
> > ***Write caching is disabled, so that's not it. At first, it was enabled,
> > but
> > even after I disabled it the problem kept persisting.
> > A million "thank you"s to whoever helps me.

Open the cover and look.

Swordlord wrote:

> [...]
>>>appears:
>>>"Windows - Delayed Write Failed:
>>>Windows was unable to save all the data for the file G:\$Mft. The data has
>>>been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware
>>>or
>>>network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."
>>>***So, it wants to copy/move the files, but it cannot, for some strange
>>>reason.
>>>Also, if I try to use Nero or Media Player for the files on the external
>>>hard-drive, those programs also fail, because they cannot use the files on
>>>the external hard-drive. Why the hell is that?
>>>***Write caching is disabled, so that's not it. At first, it was enabled,
>>>but
>>>even after I disabled it the problem kept persisting.
>>>A million "thank you"s to whoever helps me.

I have no idea what to look for. I'm not exactly the type of guy that knows
how to install a hard-drive inside a computer, or anything similar, and I do
not even know which one is the motherboard or what the PCI thing looks like.

"Bob I" wrote:

> Open the cover and look.
>
> Swordlord wrote:
>
> > Thank you very much for the reply, my friend.
> >
> > I have USB 1.1. But how would I find out if I have a PCI Card or a direct
> > connection on the Motherboard?
> >
> > "Rich Barry" wrote:
> >

> >> Do you have WinUpdate SP2 installed? Are you using a PCI USB2 Card or
> >>do
> >>you have a direct connection USB2 on
> >> the Motherboard?
> >>
> >>"Swordlord" <Swordlord@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

A PCI card USB is inserted in one of the slot connectors on the
motherboard,( main circuitboard which is what everything else is
attached to). If the USB port are "on the motherboard" then the port is
physically mounted to the motherboard or is connected by wire to the
motherboard.

Swordlord wrote:

> I have no idea what to look for. I'm not exactly the type of guy that knows
> how to install a hard-drive inside a computer, or anything similar, and I do
> not even know which one is the motherboard or what the PCI thing looks like.
>
> "Bob I" wrote:
>

>>Open the cover and look.
>>
>>Swordlord wrote:
>>

>>>Thank you very much for the reply, my friend.
>>>
>>>I have USB 1.1. But how would I find out if I have a PCI Card or a direct
>>>connection on the Motherboard?

Okay, I opened the PC, and I did see a USB port connected by wire to the
motherboard. Now what should I do?

Looking forward to your reply. Thanks!

"Bob I" wrote:

> A PCI card USB is inserted in one of the slot connectors on the
> motherboard,( main circuitboard which is what everything else is
> attached to). If the USB port are "on the motherboard" then the port is
> physically mounted to the motherboard or is connected by wire to the
> motherboard.
>
> Swordlord wrote:
>
> > I have no idea what to look for. I'm not exactly the type of guy that knows
> > how to install a hard-drive inside a computer, or anything similar, and I do
> > not even know which one is the motherboard or what the PCI thing looks like.
> >
> > "Bob I" wrote:

Download the program, EVEREST from www.lavalys.com and run
it. It will scan your system and report all details of the
computer, including the make, model and even serial number
of the motherboard. The using that info, download the mobo
manual from the maker's website. It will have pictures or
diagrams of the entire mobo.

some support

wrote in message

please?

Although it works fine
Professional computer I
(either from the
internal hard-drive to
copy <name of file>
though the computer sees

in My Computer as drive
are DVD-RW and CD-ROM.

internal HDD (C:) -- or

I get this error
transferring files shows
say, right?]
X thing, saying:
from the bottom of the
exclamation sign also
file G:\$Mft. The data has
elsewhere."
cannot, for some strange
files on the external
cannot use the files on
first, it was enabled,
persisting.

No offense, but I think the discussion is going towards a dead end here. Even
if I find out what motherboard I have, etc., here's the thing: THE HDD IS
SUPPOSED TO WORK WITH ALL COMPUTERS! What difference does it make what
motherboard I have?

I can tell you what I know:
--I know that the cable of the external hard-drive converts from IDE to USB.
--I know that I have 1 internal hard-drive, 1 DVD-RW and 1 CD-ROM
--From the BIOS settings, I found out that Primary Master is the internal
HDD, Primary Slave is 'Not Detected', Secondary Master is the DVD-RW and
Secondary Slave is the CD-ROM. The rest (Third Master and Slave) are also
'Not Detected'.

Can anyone help me, given that information?

Maybe someone has a BIOS configuration I could use. I would be glad to try
to change those settings, because I know I can change them back.

Thanks in advance.

"Jim Macklin" wrote:

> Download the program, EVEREST from www.lavalys.com and run
> it. It will scan your system and report all details of the
> computer, including the make, model and even serial number
> of the motherboard. The using that info, download the mobo
> manual from the maker's website. It will have pictures or
> diagrams of the entire mobo.

> some support
> http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
>

> "Swordlord" <Swordlord@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> | Okay, I opened the PC, and I did see a USB port connected
> by wire to the
> | motherboard. Now what should I do?
> |
> | Looking forward to your reply. Thanks!
> |
> | "Bob I" wrote:
> |
> | > A PCI card USB is inserted in one of the slot connectors
> on the
> | > motherboard,( main circuitboard which is what everything
> else is
> | > attached to). If the USB port are "on the motherboard"
> then the port is
> | > physically mounted to the motherboard or is connected by
> wire to the
> | > motherboard.

> type of guy that knows
> anything similar, and I do
> PCI thing looks like.

> PCI Card or a direct

> using a PCI USB2 Card or

> please?

> Although it works fine
> Professional computer I
> (either from the
> internal hard-drive to
> copy <name of file>
> 'Windows Delayed Write
> though the computer sees

> it might be a security

> in My Computer as drive
> are DVD-RW and CD-ROM.
> is if I copy something

> internal HDD (C:) -- or

> I get this error
> transferring files shows
> say, right?]
> X thing, saying:
> find the file
> from the bottom of the
> exclamation sign also
> file G:\$Mft. The data has
> your computer hardware
> elsewhere."
> cannot, for some strange
> files on the external
> cannot use the files on
> first, it was enabled,
> persisting.

Pardon me but if you are that ignorant regarding pc hardware then perhaps
you really should just take it to a shop?

>I have no idea what to look for. I'm not exactly the type of guy that knows
> how to install a hard-drive inside a computer, or anything similar, and I
> do
> not even know which one is the motherboard or what the PCI thing looks
> like.
>
> "Bob I" wrote:
>
>> Open the cover and look.
>>
>> Swordlord wrote:
>>
>> > Thank you very much for the reply, my friend.
>> >
>> > I have USB 1.1. But how would I find out if I have a PCI Card or a
>> > direct
>> > connection on the Motherboard?

Pardon me, but if your suggestion is "take it to a shop", then I don't need it!

I may be a newbie, but I'm not that stupid not to think about that first.
It's just not a viable solution for me, okay?

"pjp" wrote:

> Pardon me but if you are that ignorant regarding pc hardware then perhaps
> you really should just take it to a shop?
>
> "Swordlord" <Swordlord@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have no idea what to look for. I'm not exactly the type of guy that knows
> > how to install a hard-drive inside a computer, or anything similar, and I
> > do
> > not even know which one is the motherboard or what the PCI thing looks
> > like.
> >
> > "Bob I" wrote:

You asked how to tell the difference. Now you know. I would guess that
now you would need to make sure you have the correct drivers for the
motherboard so the USB is working properly, as opposed to needing
drivers for a USB-PCI card.