S2DGE & Server 2003

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

I have this strange problem on this server, this is a PDC.
If I install Windows 2000 Server everything works great as it always has; if
I upgrade to Server 2003 or do a clean install of Server 2003, the mouse &
keyboard do not work when setup completes. I use a Logitech USB optical
mouse and have tried several different USB and PS2 keyboards and mice and
same thing.
for experimentation, I am using 2 harddrives, one has 2000 server on it and
the other has server 2003 on it. the 2000 runs flawlessly. MS said the 2003
cd was defective, so I had the client return it and get a new one and that
made no difference either. Now I am baffled.

SuperMicro S2DGE 1024mb ram (Micron), Dual Pentium 2 Xeon 450MHz 2mb cache
Adaptec 29160
WDE-9150 9.1g hdd, Maxtor Atlas 10K4_36SCA 36.4gb hdd
Plextor UltraPlex 40x scsi cdrom
Netgear FA-311 NIC (internet)
LinkSys LNE-100TX v5.1 (local)
Promise Ultra100 TX
IBM IC35L060 60gb hdd, IBM IC35L120 120gb hdd
4 answers Last reply
More about s2dge server 2003
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

    Are you connecting the keyboard and mouse directly to the S2DGE or are
    you connecting via a KVM switch? If you plug in a usb mouse or keyboard
    AFTER Windows is up and running, does Windows react as if something were
    plugged in and attempt to install the drivers?

    Ed Jamison
    MBX - http://www.mbx.com/
    888-440-1414 X307
    ed.jamison-at-mbx-dot-com
    AIM - MBXEdJamison

    Ron wrote:
    > I have this strange problem on this server, this is a PDC.
    > If I install Windows 2000 Server everything works great as it always has; if
    > I upgrade to Server 2003 or do a clean install of Server 2003, the mouse &
    > keyboard do not work when setup completes. I use a Logitech USB optical
    > mouse and have tried several different USB and PS2 keyboards and mice and
    > same thing.
    > for experimentation, I am using 2 harddrives, one has 2000 server on it and
    > the other has server 2003 on it. the 2000 runs flawlessly. MS said the 2003
    > cd was defective, so I had the client return it and get a new one and that
    > made no difference either. Now I am baffled.
    >
    > SuperMicro S2DGE 1024mb ram (Micron), Dual Pentium 2 Xeon 450MHz 2mb cache
    > Adaptec 29160
    > WDE-9150 9.1g hdd, Maxtor Atlas 10K4_36SCA 36.4gb hdd
    > Plextor UltraPlex 40x scsi cdrom
    > Netgear FA-311 NIC (internet)
    > LinkSys LNE-100TX v5.1 (local)
    > Promise Ultra100 TX
    > IBM IC35L060 60gb hdd, IBM IC35L120 120gb hdd

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

    I am not using a switch. I have tried connecting them before and after
    Windows starts and they just do not function in that OS, they both work fine
    in Windows 2000 Server Sp4. I am not using dual boot at this time, but just
    switch the boot to SCSI ID:1 in the Adaptec bios to boot to the alternate
    OS.

    "Ed Jamison - MBX" <ed-at-mbx-dot-com> wrote in message
    > Are you connecting the keyboard and mouse directly to the S2DGE or are
    > you connecting via a KVM switch? If you plug in a usb mouse or keyboard
    > AFTER Windows is up and running, does Windows react as if something were
    > plugged in and attempt to install the drivers?
    >
    > Ed Jamison
    > MBX - http://www.mbx.com/
    > 888-440-1414 X307
    > ed.jamison-at-mbx-dot-com
    > AIM - MBXEdJamison
    >

    > Ron wrote:
    > > I have this strange problem on this server, this is a PDC.
    > > If I install Windows 2000 Server everything works great as it always
    has; if
    > > I upgrade to Server 2003 or do a clean install of Server 2003, the mouse
    &
    > > keyboard do not work when setup completes. I use a Logitech USB optical
    > > mouse and have tried several different USB and PS2 keyboards and mice
    and
    > > same thing.
    > > for experimentation, I am using 2 harddrives, one has 2000 server on it
    and
    > > the other has server 2003 on it. the 2000 runs flawlessly. MS said the
    2003
    > > cd was defective, so I had the client return it and get a new one and
    that
    > > made no difference either. Now I am baffled.
    > >
    > > SuperMicro S2DGE 1024mb ram (Micron), Dual Pentium 2 Xeon 450MHz 2mb
    cache
    > > Adaptec 29160
    > > WDE-9150 9.1g hdd, Maxtor Atlas 10K4_36SCA 36.4gb hdd
    > > Plextor UltraPlex 40x scsi cdrom
    > > Netgear FA-311 NIC (internet)
    > > LinkSys LNE-100TX v5.1 (local)
    > > Promise Ultra100 TX
    > > IBM IC35L060 60gb hdd, IBM IC35L120 120gb hdd

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

    Have you tried calling Supermicro about this? I vaguely suspect it
    might have something to do with chipset drivers or other drivers of some
    sort, but it would be hard to install those without a keyboard and
    mouse. Have you tried plugging in any other USB devices to see if
    anything happens? This may sound weird, but what about a serial mouse?

    Also, are there any options in the BIOS that might apply to keyboard or
    mouse functionality?

    Ed Jamison
    MBX - http://www.mbx.com/
    888-440-1414 X307
    ed.jamison-at-mbx-dot-com
    AIM - MBXEdJamison

    Ron wrote:
    > I am not using a switch. I have tried connecting them before and after
    > Windows starts and they just do not function in that OS, they both work fine
    > in Windows 2000 Server Sp4. I am not using dual boot at this time, but just
    > switch the boot to SCSI ID:1 in the Adaptec bios to boot to the alternate
    > OS.
    >
    > "Ed Jamison - MBX" <ed-at-mbx-dot-com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Are you connecting the keyboard and mouse directly to the S2DGE or are
    >>you connecting via a KVM switch? If you plug in a usb mouse or keyboard
    >>AFTER Windows is up and running, does Windows react as if something were
    >>plugged in and attempt to install the drivers?
    >>
    >>Ed Jamison
    >>MBX - http://www.mbx.com/
    >>888-440-1414 X307
    >>ed.jamison-at-mbx-dot-com
    >>AIM - MBXEdJamison
    >>

    >>Ron wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have this strange problem on this server, this is a PDC.
    >>>If I install Windows 2000 Server everything works great as it always
    >
    > has; if
    >
    >>>I upgrade to Server 2003 or do a clean install of Server 2003, the mouse
    >
    > &
    >
    >>>keyboard do not work when setup completes. I use a Logitech USB optical
    >>>mouse and have tried several different USB and PS2 keyboards and mice
    >
    > and
    >
    >>>same thing.
    >>>for experimentation, I am using 2 harddrives, one has 2000 server on it
    >
    > and
    >
    >>>the other has server 2003 on it. the 2000 runs flawlessly. MS said the
    >
    > 2003
    >
    >>>cd was defective, so I had the client return it and get a new one and
    >
    > that
    >
    >>>made no difference either. Now I am baffled.
    >>>
    >>>SuperMicro S2DGE 1024mb ram (Micron), Dual Pentium 2 Xeon 450MHz 2mb
    >
    > cache
    >
    >>>Adaptec 29160
    >>>WDE-9150 9.1g hdd, Maxtor Atlas 10K4_36SCA 36.4gb hdd
    >>>Plextor UltraPlex 40x scsi cdrom
    >>>Netgear FA-311 NIC (internet)
    >>>LinkSys LNE-100TX v5.1 (local)
    >>>Promise Ultra100 TX
    >>>IBM IC35L060 60gb hdd, IBM IC35L120 120gb hdd

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

    Yes I did, they didn't know what to make of it either. This is what they
    said, and it's basically what I am starting to believe as well::
    That is strange, since Win2000 work there is no hardware problem. I believe
    it might be related to Win2003 the OS.

    This chipset is 7 years old and we had discontinued for 3+ years already.
    We don't have any more boards in house to test it. Also, AMI is no longer
    writing the BIOS for it therefore no more BIOS update.

    I would suggest your customer to stay with Win2000 and use it as it is.

    Thanks,

    John

    > Have you tried calling Supermicro about this? I vaguely suspect it
    > might have something to do with chipset drivers or other drivers of some
    > sort, but it would be hard to install those without a keyboard and
    > mouse. Have you tried plugging in any other USB devices to see if
    > anything happens? This may sound weird, but what about a serial mouse?
    >
    > Also, are there any options in the BIOS that might apply to keyboard or
    > mouse functionality?
    >
    > Ed Jamison
    > MBX - http://www.mbx.com/
    > 888-440-1414 X307
    > ed.jamison-at-mbx-dot-com
    > AIM - MBXEdJamison
    >
    > Ron wrote:
    > > I am not using a switch. I have tried connecting them before and after
    > > Windows starts and they just do not function in that OS, they both work
    fine
    > > in Windows 2000 Server Sp4. I am not using dual boot at this time, but
    just
    > > switch the boot to SCSI ID:1 in the Adaptec bios to boot to the
    alternate
    > > OS.
    > >
    > > "Ed Jamison - MBX" <ed-at-mbx-dot-com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Are you connecting the keyboard and mouse directly to the S2DGE or are
    > >>you connecting via a KVM switch? If you plug in a usb mouse or keyboard
    > >>AFTER Windows is up and running, does Windows react as if something were
    > >>plugged in and attempt to install the drivers?
    > >>
    > >>Ed Jamison
    > >>MBX - http://www.mbx.com/
    > >>888-440-1414 X307
    > >>ed.jamison-at-mbx-dot-com