S2DGE & Server 2003

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
April 3, 2004 10:32:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

I have this strange problem on this server, this is a PDC.
If I install Windows 2000 Server everything works great as it always has; if
I upgrade to Server 2003 or do a clean install of Server 2003, the mouse &
keyboard do not work when setup completes. I use a Logitech USB optical
mouse and have tried several different USB and PS2 keyboards and mice and
same thing.
for experimentation, I am using 2 harddrives, one has 2000 server on it and
the other has server 2003 on it. the 2000 runs flawlessly. MS said the 2003
cd was defective, so I had the client return it and get a new one and that
made no difference either. Now I am baffled.

SuperMicro S2DGE 1024mb ram (Micron), Dual Pentium 2 Xeon 450MHz 2mb cache
Adaptec 29160
WDE-9150 9.1g hdd, Maxtor Atlas 10K4_36SCA 36.4gb hdd
Plextor UltraPlex 40x scsi cdrom
Netgear FA-311 NIC (internet)
LinkSys LNE-100TX v5.1 (local)
Promise Ultra100 TX
IBM IC35L060 60gb hdd, IBM IC35L120 120gb hdd

More about : s2dge server 2003

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2004 11:53:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

Are you connecting the keyboard and mouse directly to the S2DGE or are
you connecting via a KVM switch? If you plug in a usb mouse or keyboard
AFTER Windows is up and running, does Windows react as if something were
plugged in and attempt to install the drivers?

Ed Jamison
MBX - http://www.mbx.com/
888-440-1414 X307
ed.jamison-at-mbx-dot-com
AIM - MBXEdJamison

Ron wrote:
> I have this strange problem on this server, this is a PDC.
> If I install Windows 2000 Server everything works great as it always has; if
> I upgrade to Server 2003 or do a clean install of Server 2003, the mouse &
> keyboard do not work when setup completes. I use a Logitech USB optical
> mouse and have tried several different USB and PS2 keyboards and mice and
> same thing.
> for experimentation, I am using 2 harddrives, one has 2000 server on it and
> the other has server 2003 on it. the 2000 runs flawlessly. MS said the 2003
> cd was defective, so I had the client return it and get a new one and that
> made no difference either. Now I am baffled.
>
> SuperMicro S2DGE 1024mb ram (Micron), Dual Pentium 2 Xeon 450MHz 2mb cache
> Adaptec 29160
> WDE-9150 9.1g hdd, Maxtor Atlas 10K4_36SCA 36.4gb hdd
> Plextor UltraPlex 40x scsi cdrom
> Netgear FA-311 NIC (internet)
> LinkSys LNE-100TX v5.1 (local)
> Promise Ultra100 TX
> IBM IC35L060 60gb hdd, IBM IC35L120 120gb hdd

April 6, 2004 1:41:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

I am not using a switch. I have tried connecting them before and after
Windows starts and they just do not function in that OS, they both work fine
in Windows 2000 Server Sp4. I am not using dual boot at this time, but just
switch the boot to SCSI ID:1 in the Adaptec bios to boot to the alternate
OS.

"Ed Jamison - MBX" <ed-at-mbx-dot-com> wrote in message
> Are you connecting the keyboard and mouse directly to the S2DGE or are
> you connecting via a KVM switch? If you plug in a usb mouse or keyboard
> AFTER Windows is up and running, does Windows react as if something were
> plugged in and attempt to install the drivers?
>
> Ed Jamison
> MBX - http://www.mbx.com/
> 888-440-1414 X307
> ed.jamison-at-mbx-dot-com
> AIM - MBXEdJamison
>

> Ron wrote:
> > I have this strange problem on this server, this is a PDC.
> > If I install Windows 2000 Server everything works great as it always
has; if
> > I upgrade to Server 2003 or do a clean install of Server 2003, the mouse
&
> > keyboard do not work when setup completes. I use a Logitech USB optical
> > mouse and have tried several different USB and PS2 keyboards and mice
and
> > same thing.
> > for experimentation, I am using 2 harddrives, one has 2000 server on it
and
> > the other has server 2003 on it. the 2000 runs flawlessly. MS said the
2003
> > cd was defective, so I had the client return it and get a new one and
that
> > made no difference either. Now I am baffled.
> >
> > SuperMicro S2DGE 1024mb ram (Micron), Dual Pentium 2 Xeon 450MHz 2mb
cache
> > Adaptec 29160
> > WDE-9150 9.1g hdd, Maxtor Atlas 10K4_36SCA 36.4gb hdd
> > Plextor UltraPlex 40x scsi cdrom
> > Netgear FA-311 NIC (internet)
> > LinkSys LNE-100TX v5.1 (local)
> > Promise Ultra100 TX
> > IBM IC35L060 60gb hdd, IBM IC35L120 120gb hdd

a b V Motherboard
April 6, 2004 8:49:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

Have you tried calling Supermicro about this? I vaguely suspect it
might have something to do with chipset drivers or other drivers of some
sort, but it would be hard to install those without a keyboard and
mouse. Have you tried plugging in any other USB devices to see if
anything happens? This may sound weird, but what about a serial mouse?

Also, are there any options in the BIOS that might apply to keyboard or
mouse functionality?

Ed Jamison
MBX - http://www.mbx.com/
888-440-1414 X307
ed.jamison-at-mbx-dot-com
AIM - MBXEdJamison

Ron wrote:
> I am not using a switch. I have tried connecting them before and after
> Windows starts and they just do not function in that OS, they both work fine
> in Windows 2000 Server Sp4. I am not using dual boot at this time, but just
> switch the boot to SCSI ID:1 in the Adaptec bios to boot to the alternate
> OS.
>
> "Ed Jamison - MBX" <ed-at-mbx-dot-com> wrote in message
>
>>Are you connecting the keyboard and mouse directly to the S2DGE or are
>>you connecting via a KVM switch? If you plug in a usb mouse or keyboard
>>AFTER Windows is up and running, does Windows react as if something were
>>plugged in and attempt to install the drivers?
>>
>>Ed Jamison
>>MBX - http://www.mbx.com/
>>888-440-1414 X307
>>ed.jamison-at-mbx-dot-com
>>AIM - MBXEdJamison
>>

>>Ron wrote:
>>
>>>I have this strange problem on this server, this is a PDC.
>>>If I install Windows 2000 Server everything works great as it always
>
> has; if
>
>>>I upgrade to Server 2003 or do a clean install of Server 2003, the mouse
>
> &
>
>>>keyboard do not work when setup completes. I use a Logitech USB optical
>>>mouse and have tried several different USB and PS2 keyboards and mice
>
> and
>
>>>same thing.
>>>for experimentation, I am using 2 harddrives, one has 2000 server on it
>
> and
>
>>>the other has server 2003 on it. the 2000 runs flawlessly. MS said the
>
> 2003
>
>>>cd was defective, so I had the client return it and get a new one and
>
> that
>
>>>made no difference either. Now I am baffled.
>>>
>>>SuperMicro S2DGE 1024mb ram (Micron), Dual Pentium 2 Xeon 450MHz 2mb
>
> cache
>
>>>Adaptec 29160
>>>WDE-9150 9.1g hdd, Maxtor Atlas 10K4_36SCA 36.4gb hdd
>>>Plextor UltraPlex 40x scsi cdrom
>>>Netgear FA-311 NIC (internet)
>>>LinkSys LNE-100TX v5.1 (local)
>>>Promise Ultra100 TX
>>>IBM IC35L060 60gb hdd, IBM IC35L120 120gb hdd

April 12, 2004 6:44:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

Yes I did, they didn't know what to make of it either. This is what they
said, and it's basically what I am starting to believe as well::
That is strange, since Win2000 work there is no hardware problem. I believe
it might be related to Win2003 the OS.

This chipset is 7 years old and we had discontinued for 3+ years already.
We don't have any more boards in house to test it. Also, AMI is no longer
writing the BIOS for it therefore no more BIOS update.

I would suggest your customer to stay with Win2000 and use it as it is.

Thanks,

John

!