I have just downloaded a driver for my sound card from windows update,
because my sound card has never actually worked, but now the driver is the
correct one, but the device doesn't start. I get error code 10. I've tried
everything in the windows troubleshooter, but I have no idea what to do. ANy
help would be greatly appreciated.

Um Firstly, I wouldn't let WU, update hardware drivers on my computer. I
always go to the mobo/device manufacturer to do these updates. That
said, try uninstalling the c-media device in device manager, re-boot,
and let Windows reload the drivers.
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman

ONE Thing: I never trust any driver downloads from Microsoft Windows
Updates. Everytime I tries, my XP would not start back up correctly. An I
also found that most drivers are usually "way out of date". Always get the
latest drivers from the hardware manufacturer's web site directly.

"lord.dougie" <lord.dougie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just downloaded a driver for my sound card from windows update,
> because my sound card has never actually worked, but now the driver is the
> correct one, but the device doesn't start. I get error code 10. I've tried
> everything in the windows troubleshooter, but I have no idea what to do.
> ANy
> help would be greatly appreciated.

"lord.dougie" <lord.dougie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just downloaded a driver for my sound card from windows update,
> because my sound card has never actually worked, but now the driver is the
> correct one, but the device doesn't start. I get error code 10. I've tried
> everything in the windows troubleshooter, but I have no idea what to do.
> ANy
> help would be greatly appreciated.
Since the audio has never worked, have you tried the motherboard
manufacturer to see if there are any BIOS updates or AC97 drivers available?