new mo-board and cpu

I bought a new motherboard and cpu.
I want to swap the mobo and cpu out.
Everything else remains the same.
If I do this will Windows XP boot up?
Or, do I have to do a clean install?

Joe

You should do a Repair Installation to ensure all the new hardware is
correctly configured.

All other applications should work correctly (but you won't forget to back
important stuff up will you?) and you will have to activate again.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Joseph Morrow" <jmorrow7@netzero.net> wrote in message
>I bought a new motherboard and cpu.
> I want to swap the mobo and cpu out.
> Everything else remains the same.
> If I do this will Windows XP boot up?
> Or, do I have to do a clean install?
>
> Joe

You cant do a repair with a new board....99.99% of repairs will fail,youve
just wasted alot of time,do a clean install,use the file transfer wizard
before
you shutdown on old brd.Set the wizard to "old computer",put the data in a
a new folder,move the folder to cd.

=?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3IEUu?= <eckrichco@msn.com> wrote in

> You cant do a repair with a new board....99.99% of repairs will
> fail

Wow! I need to buy a lottery ticket because I've done this 20+ times
with 100% success. On the other hand, you may be talking 100% BS.

I've never had a Repair Installation fail either. Did one yesterday in
fact, on a Windows 2003 Server.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Kinell" <w@invalid.jp> wrote in message
> =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3IEUu?= <eckrichco@msn.com> wrote in

> Wow! I need to buy a lottery ticket because I've done this 20+ times
> with 100% success. On the other hand, you may be talking 100% BS.

And after you have done the "repair" dont forget to load the new motherboard
drivers that are normally packaged with the board on a CD.
peterk

the problem

Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com> wrote:

> You cant do a repair with a new board....99.99% of repairs will fail,youve
> just wasted alot of time,do a clean install,use the file transfer wizard
>before
> you shutdown on old brd.Set the wizard to "old computer",put the data in a
> a new folder,move the folder to cd.

Balderdash. Hogwash. Malarkey.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Ron Martell wrote:
> Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com> wrote:
>
>> You cant do a repair with a new board....99.99% of repairs will
>> fail,youve just wasted alot of time,do a clean install,use the file
>> transfer wizard before
>> you shutdown on old brd.Set the wizard to "old computer",put the
>> data in a a new folder,move the folder to cd.
>>

> Balderdash. Hogwash. Malarkey.
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

Agree.

I have updated 3 motherboards/cpu's since my original XP Pro install, and
each time, a repair install has worked just fine.

The key, is to NOT let the system boot into windows after putting the new
motherboard in, immediately upon powering on, boot from the cd, and do the
repair install.
Doesn't hurt to uninstall the devices and motherboard drivers on the old
board before powering it down for the last time either...

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."

"Joseph Morrow" <jmorrow7@netzero.net> wrote:

>I bought a new motherboard and cpu.
>I want to swap the mobo and cpu out.
>Everything else remains the same.
>If I do this will Windows XP boot up?
>Or, do I have to do a clean install?
>
>Joe

With a new morthboard you will have to do a Repair Install of Windows
XP as per the instructions at

Disregard the comments from Andrew E. He is a blathering nicompoop
who has absolutely no knowledge about the subject.

Warning: Doing a Repair Install will also result in a requirement to
reactivate your Windows XP and that could cause a *serious* problem if
your Windows XP is a BIOS locked OEM version as those versions will
not activate on a different motherboard unless the new motherboard is
also supplied by the same OEM as the original.

To check if your Windows XP is an OEM version open Control Panel -
System - General and look at the 20 character Product I.D. value
reported on the last line of the "Registered to:" section of the
Window. If the second segment of the Product I.D. reads "OEM" then
you have an OEM version.

If you have an OEM version then use Start - All Programs - Accessories
- System Tools and look for a menu item that reads "Activate Windows".

If there is no Activate Windows entry then your OEM version of Windows
XP is BIOS locked and you should not consider replacing the
motherboard unless you can get the new motherboard from the same OEM
that produced your computer. Either that or be prepared to purchase a
new copy of Windows XP.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

I have never seen anyone post here, except you, who is so continuously wrong
on almost everything you state!

Anyone who listens to you is in for a world of hurt!

Why don't you just read and refrain from posting. Maybe you will learn a
little. As it stands, you do no one any good.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)