hangs when USB support enabled

my daughter has a pc with xp home and when I enable usb in the bios it will
not load but freezes in the middle of the windows loading process.

If I then reboot and disable usb it loads perfectly.

Any ideas please?

thanks,

Mike
3 answers Last reply
More about hangs support enabled

    On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 07:22:34 +0100, "Mike W"
    <mike@ehb-docks.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:

    >my daughter has a pc with xp home and when I enable usb in the bios it will
    >not load but freezes in the middle of the windows loading process.
    >
    >If I then reboot and disable usb it loads perfectly.
    >
    >Any ideas please?
    >
    >thanks,
    >
    >Mike

    How long did you wait for it to load with USB enabled? Perhaps the
    motherboard needs an updated BIOS for USB to be functional. Check the
    manufacturer's website.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    Try this:

    1.) Disable USB in BIOS
    2.) Boot into Safe Mode
    3.) Open Device Manager
    4.) Expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers
    5.) For each one of the listed Hubs, host controllers, etc:
    Right-click on the device
    Select Properties
    Click the Driver tab
    Click the button labeled "Uninstall"
    (be sure to do this for EACH device)
    6.) Reboot
    7.) Go to the web site of the manufacturer for your motherboard and
    obtain current Windows XP drivers.
    8.) Install the updated motherboard drivers
    9.) Reboot, and access BIOS
    10.) Enable USB and reboot again

    Good luck,

    "Mike W" <mike@ehb-docks.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote in message
    > my daughter has a pc with xp home and when I enable usb in the bios it
    > will
    > not load but freezes in the middle of the windows loading process.
    >
    > If I then reboot and disable usb it loads perfectly.
    >
    > Any ideas please?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > Mike

    ok, I know I am impatient, but I did wait about 10 minutes and it was still
    frozen, meaning I had to turn the pc off at the mains. The pc came has two
    usb ports at the back of the machine so I assume the bios would support
    them.

    "Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 07:22:34 +0100, "Mike W"
    > <mike@ehb-docks.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>my daughter has a pc with xp home and when I enable usb in the bios it
    >>will
    >>not load but freezes in the middle of the windows loading process.
    >>
    >>If I then reboot and disable usb it loads perfectly.
    >>
    >>Any ideas please?
    >>
    >>thanks,
    >>
    >>Mike
    >
    > How long did you wait for it to load with USB enabled? Perhaps the
    > motherboard needs an updated BIOS for USB to be functional. Check the
    > manufacturer's website.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Cecil
    > http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
    > http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/

Hardware Support USB Microsoft Windows XP