P6DGU - Hard disk and Graphics card upgrade suggestions pl..

Last response: in Motherboards
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 22, 2004 11:28:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

Please can anyone advise me on what'd be best for my requirements to
upgrade this system in terms of Hard Disk and Graphics cards.

It is a dual 1000mhs, 1gb machine with 2 very small and noisy scsi
hard disks. We are currently not using this machine at all simply
because we've become accustomed to something quieter (albeit slower)
and these disks are just too noisy !!

So, we want to take out the small scsi hard disks and replace with one
large IDE disk (something like 250gb).

I have Maxtors in another machine (completely different spec all
together), and am happy with the Maxtor make. For a not very logical
reason (ie PCWorld in the UK sells them by the bucket load) I'm not
very fond of Western Digital.

What model should I go for and why ?? Basically I'm wondering
(guessing because I am no expert) that it would be pointless to go for
SATA150 technology (I know nothing about this technology) as I guess
that it'd be wasted on this 1999 spec'd machine as my motherboard can
probably only max out with something less ??

So basically I don't want to waste money on something that won't get
used to it's fullest.

Same goes for the Graphic's Card - what should I get ?? I currently
have in it a Matrox Millenium G450 (32mb) - what card should I go for
without it being wasted on this machine ??

Basically I want the best but not something that's too good for this
machine.

Many thanks (and I know I've been very longwinded in explaining
something very basic !!)

Thanks in anticipation.

Best regards,
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 22, 2004 6:08:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

Your motherboard most likely (I'm not sure, quoting from memory) will
not support drives over 137 GB. In addition, the onboard IDE controller
is only DMA 33. So, I'd recommend getting an IDE PCI controller card,
and yes, a Maxtor 250 GB IDE drive to attach to it. That situation
should work very well for you, and will eliminate your noisy old SCSI
drives.
As for video, what are your requirements? If the Matrox is still
working, and you don't need anything fancier, just keep it....

Ed Jamison
MBX - http://www.mbx.com/
888-440-1414 X307
ed.jamison-at-mbx-dot-com
AIM - MBXEdJamison

A_Newsreader wrote:
> Please can anyone advise me on what'd be best for my requirements to
> upgrade this system in terms of Hard Disk and Graphics cards.
>
> It is a dual 1000mhs, 1gb machine with 2 very small and noisy scsi
> hard disks. We are currently not using this machine at all simply
> because we've become accustomed to something quieter (albeit slower)
> and these disks are just too noisy !!
>
> So, we want to take out the small scsi hard disks and replace with one
> large IDE disk (something like 250gb).
>
> I have Maxtors in another machine (completely different spec all
> together), and am happy with the Maxtor make. For a not very logical
> reason (ie PCWorld in the UK sells them by the bucket load) I'm not
> very fond of Western Digital.
>
> What model should I go for and why ?? Basically I'm wondering
> (guessing because I am no expert) that it would be pointless to go for
> SATA150 technology (I know nothing about this technology) as I guess
> that it'd be wasted on this 1999 spec'd machine as my motherboard can
> probably only max out with something less ??
>
> So basically I don't want to waste money on something that won't get
> used to it's fullest.
>
> Same goes for the Graphic's Card - what should I get ?? I currently
> have in it a Matrox Millenium G450 (32mb) - what card should I go for
> without it being wasted on this machine ??
>
> Basically I want the best but not something that's too good for this
> machine.
>
> Many thanks (and I know I've been very longwinded in explaining
> something very basic !!)
>
> Thanks in anticipation.
>
> Best regards,
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2004 5:44:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

P6DGU's are fitted with Intel's 440GX chipset and Adaptec's 7890 SCSI
controller. The built-in IDE ports are ATA33. There are three SCSI ports.
One LVD/U2W, one UW, and one 50 pin internal SCSI port.

The ATA ports are a little slow but are hardware compatible with modern
large parallel IDE drives. I have a 160GB ATA133 Maxtor drive installed as
my primary master IDE drive. The drive can't operate at it's full
potential, but it works fast enough so that I am not impressed by more
modern systems.

SuperMicro's BIOS has been compatible with my big drive and both Promise and
Highpoint add-on IDE RAID cards, but I am not using one now. An SATA 150
add-on card would not be wasted except that SATA drives cost more than
equivalent parallel ATA drives.

The SCSI ports are better for real high performance hard drives. And, you
can create bootable RAID arrays if you install an ARO-1130U2 RAIDPort card.
BUT, the extra noise and heat may outweigh their high speed for large file
transfers .

You can still download the manual at:

http://www.supermicro.com/support/archive/archived_manu...

I recommend doing it now. SM may wipe it out whenever they feel like it.
We're at least three generations out of date.

You are correct about the video card scaling issue. I recently updated to a
64MB MSI nVidia Geforce4 TI4200 AGP 4x video card. It scores about 5,000 3D
Marks in 3DMark 2001SE. My GeForce2 GTS scored about 1500. Similar TI4200
cards can score 15,000 3DMarks in faster systems. So, a cheap GeForce4
TI4200/4400/4600/4800 is probably more appropriate than a Radeon X800XT.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 26, 2004 1:48:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

The SCSI on that motherboard is only Ultra 80. If you were to install a
DMA 100 or 133 card, or a Serial ATA controller card, and use the
corresponding drives, you would most likely find these drives will
outperform most Ultra 80 SCSI hardware, and cost less.

Ed Jamison
MBX - http://www.mbx.com/
888-440-1414 X307
ed.jamison-at-mbx-dot-com
AIM - MBXEdJamison

Paul G2053 wrote:
> P6DGU's are fitted with Intel's 440GX chipset and Adaptec's 7890 SCSI
> controller. The built-in IDE ports are ATA33. There are three SCSI ports.
> One LVD/U2W, one UW, and one 50 pin internal SCSI port.
>
> The ATA ports are a little slow but are hardware compatible with modern
> large parallel IDE drives. I have a 160GB ATA133 Maxtor drive installed as
> my primary master IDE drive. The drive can't operate at it's full
> potential, but it works fast enough so that I am not impressed by more
> modern systems.
>
> SuperMicro's BIOS has been compatible with my big drive and both Promise and
> Highpoint add-on IDE RAID cards, but I am not using one now. An SATA 150
> add-on card would not be wasted except that SATA drives cost more than
> equivalent parallel ATA drives.
>
> The SCSI ports are better for real high performance hard drives. And, you
> can create bootable RAID arrays if you install an ARO-1130U2 RAIDPort card.
> BUT, the extra noise and heat may outweigh their high speed for large file
> transfers .
>
> You can still download the manual at:
>
> http://www.supermicro.com/support/archive/archived_manu...
>
> I recommend doing it now. SM may wipe it out whenever they feel like it.
> We're at least three generations out of date.
>
> You are correct about the video card scaling issue. I recently updated to a
> 64MB MSI nVidia Geforce4 TI4200 AGP 4x video card. It scores about 5,000 3D
> Marks in 3DMark 2001SE. My GeForce2 GTS scored about 1500. Similar TI4200
> cards can score 15,000 3DMarks in faster systems. So, a cheap GeForce4
> TI4200/4400/4600/4800 is probably more appropriate than a Radeon X800XT.

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 27, 2004 6:35:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

Thanks Paul for your reply.

I'll take a look at these graphic's cards - are they still available
new ??

So, just to confirm, you say that I can install a SATA 150 hard disk
into this machine and it will perform at it's maximum potential on
this Mobo, even though it's a few years old ?? Ah, I need an addon
card for this to work ?? (excuse my ignorance).

!