WinXP SP2 Home edition thinks USB external DVD writer is b..

EMPREX 1016UI (aka BTC 1016UI) USB external dual layer DVD writer was
installed on PC fine.
Suddenly, after about a month, it asked to install a driver (never needed
before).
We totally uninstalled old software, restarted, reconnected, tried different
USB ports, but always the same:
It says the device cannot be properly installed, and may be damaged(? can't
remember exact words, not at pc now).

But this device works absolutely fine on XP Home PC and XP Pro laptop, so
shop won't take it back.
What do we need to do to get the "trouble" pc to see this device OK?
Note: Nothing is showing up in the "problem devices" list.

Checked for spyware/virus/checked disk/defragmented/checked memory with
memtest86, and other USB devices work fine on the same ports.
That's pretty much the limit of what I can think to try!
3 answers Last reply
More about winxp home edition thinks external writer

    Did you also try to update the chipset drivers and are you using SP1 or SP2?

    Look at removing the upper/lower filters for this device (check on Kelly's
    Korner web site.)

    > Did you also try to update the chipset drivers and are you using SP1 or
    > SP2?

    As per subject line, SP2. What I did re drivers was to remove ALL instances
    of all USB devices, rebooted (reset config data in BIOS too) then let it
    find anything on reboot. Can't find any more recent drivers on Intel site,
    and besides...it's not like it never worked!

    > Look at removing the upper/lower filters for this device (check on Kelly's
    > Korner web site.)

    I think the page you mean must be:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_dm.htm
    I can't find any site search, so I had to use Google site search to find
    this.
    Thanks for the suggestion - I'll give it a go when I am near the PC again
    tomorrow.

    > "Jamie Furlong" <reply@thisgroup.please> wrote in message
    >> EMPREX 1016UI (aka BTC 1016UI) USB external dual layer DVD writer was
    >> installed on PC fine.
    >> Suddenly, after about a month, it asked to install a driver (never needed
    >> before).
    >> We totally uninstalled old software, restarted, reconnected, tried
    >> different USB ports, but always the same:
    >> It says the device cannot be properly installed, and may be damaged(?
    >> can't remember exact words, not at pc now).
    >>
    >> But this device works absolutely fine on XP Home PC and XP Pro laptop, so
    >> shop won't take it back.
    >> What do we need to do to get the "trouble" pc to see this device OK?
    >> Note: Nothing is showing up in the "problem devices" list.
    >>
    >> Checked for spyware/virus/checked disk/defragmented/checked memory with
    >> memtest86, and other USB devices work fine on the same ports.
    >> That's pretty much the limit of what I can think to try!

    "Jamie Furlong" <reply@thisgroup.please> wrote in message
    > EMPREX 1016UI (aka BTC 1016UI) USB external dual layer DVD writer was
    > installed on PC fine.
    > Suddenly, after about a month, it asked to install a driver [etc]

    Well, how about this for weird....
    I don't know which of the following did it, but I cleared ALL the temp files
    everywhere, I completely deleted all restore points, I wiped the paging
    file, rebooted without it attached (which I'd done before), rebooted again
    and plugged it in, and it worked!
    Something corrupt must have been hanging around and interfering with the
    polling (a bit like a Republican party worker in a voting centre...)

USB Devices DVD Writers Windows XP