P4DC6+ BIOS and SATA Question

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
August 10, 2004 8:24:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

I am running BIOS rev 1.2c on the P4DC6+. I just installed 2 new
Hitachi 7K250 160GB SATA drives, attached to a Promise TX2Plus
controller card. The controller supports 2 parallel ATA drives in
addition to 2 SATA drives. I have two Western Digital UDMA5 drives
attached to the Parallel interface.

My problem is that the Promise card reports all 4 drives as UDMA5 during
the boot process, instead of showing the 2 Hitachis as "Serial ATA".
The implication (verified by SiSoft Sandra) is that the new drives are
running at 2/3 of their rated speed (100 mbps vs. 150).

Could this be a motherboard BIOS issue? I am hesitant to install the
most recent BIOS (1.3) until I know whether it should fix the problem or
not.

Thanks...
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 11, 2004 12:04:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

It has nothing to do with the BIOS. I'm not sure what is causing this
problem, but I do know that the motherboard has no effect at all on how
the Promise card identifies drives. You could install that card on ANY
motherboard, and it would behave the same way, from a BIOS standpoint...

Ed Jamison
MBX - http://www.mbx.com/
888-440-1414 X307
ed.jamison-at-mbx-dot-com
AIM - MBXEdJamison

Luigi wrote:
> I am running BIOS rev 1.2c on the P4DC6+. I just installed 2 new
> Hitachi 7K250 160GB SATA drives, attached to a Promise TX2Plus
> controller card. The controller supports 2 parallel ATA drives in
> addition to 2 SATA drives. I have two Western Digital UDMA5 drives
> attached to the Parallel interface.
>
> My problem is that the Promise card reports all 4 drives as UDMA5 during
> the boot process, instead of showing the 2 Hitachis as "Serial ATA".
> The implication (verified by SiSoft Sandra) is that the new drives are
> running at 2/3 of their rated speed (100 mbps vs. 150).
>
> Could this be a motherboard BIOS issue? I am hesitant to install the
> most recent BIOS (1.3) until I know whether it should fix the problem or
> not.
>
> Thanks...
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 26, 2004 2:04:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

Luigi,

One problem that you *may* have, kinda related (once you've read what
I have to say), is that you may find you're gonna run into problems
flashing the BIOS.

I am no expert but this is where I'm at with my mobo. I cannot get to
update the bios. I've created a Bios diskette, but it says at boot up
time that it cannot find the AWDFLASH.EXE UTILITY.

Be interested to see what you or others may say about this.

Sorry for jumping in on your original post like this.

Luigi <luigi@pizza.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.1b82f914b64ab42398968f@newsgroups.bellsouth.net>...
> I am running BIOS rev 1.2c on the P4DC6+. I just installed 2 new
> Hitachi 7K250 160GB SATA drives, attached to a Promise TX2Plus
> controller card. The controller supports 2 parallel ATA drives in
> addition to 2 SATA drives. I have two Western Digital UDMA5 drives
> attached to the Parallel interface.
>
> My problem is that the Promise card reports all 4 drives as UDMA5 during
> the boot process, instead of showing the 2 Hitachis as "Serial ATA".
> The implication (verified by SiSoft Sandra) is that the new drives are
> running at 2/3 of their rated speed (100 mbps vs. 150).
>
> Could this be a motherboard BIOS issue? I am hesitant to install the
> most recent BIOS (1.3) until I know whether it should fix the problem or
> not.
>
> Thanks...
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 27, 2004 11:57:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

Luigi,
You will probably need 2 disks. A basic bootable DOS disk, and a second
disk which includes awdflash.exe and all additional BIOS flash files.
If you follow the instructions EXACTLY, everything should go just fine.
If you continue to have problems, contact Supermicro tech support.
They are very helpful...

Ed Jamison
MBX - http://www.mbx.com/
888-440-1414 X307