P4DC6+ BIOS and SATA Question

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

I am running BIOS rev 1.2c on the P4DC6+. I just installed 2 new
Hitachi 7K250 160GB SATA drives, attached to a Promise TX2Plus
controller card. The controller supports 2 parallel ATA drives in
addition to 2 SATA drives. I have two Western Digital UDMA5 drives
attached to the Parallel interface.

My problem is that the Promise card reports all 4 drives as UDMA5 during
the boot process, instead of showing the 2 Hitachis as "Serial ATA".
The implication (verified by SiSoft Sandra) is that the new drives are
running at 2/3 of their rated speed (100 mbps vs. 150).

Could this be a motherboard BIOS issue? I am hesitant to install the
most recent BIOS (1.3) until I know whether it should fix the problem or
not.

Thanks...
3 answers Last reply
More about p4dc6 bios sata question
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

    It has nothing to do with the BIOS. I'm not sure what is causing this
    problem, but I do know that the motherboard has no effect at all on how
    the Promise card identifies drives. You could install that card on ANY
    motherboard, and it would behave the same way, from a BIOS standpoint...

    Ed Jamison
    MBX - http://www.mbx.com/
    888-440-1414 X307
    ed.jamison-at-mbx-dot-com
    AIM - MBXEdJamison

    Luigi wrote:
    > I am running BIOS rev 1.2c on the P4DC6+. I just installed 2 new
    > Hitachi 7K250 160GB SATA drives, attached to a Promise TX2Plus
    > controller card. The controller supports 2 parallel ATA drives in
    > addition to 2 SATA drives. I have two Western Digital UDMA5 drives
    > attached to the Parallel interface.
    >
    > My problem is that the Promise card reports all 4 drives as UDMA5 during
    > the boot process, instead of showing the 2 Hitachis as "Serial ATA".
    > The implication (verified by SiSoft Sandra) is that the new drives are
    > running at 2/3 of their rated speed (100 mbps vs. 150).
    >
    > Could this be a motherboard BIOS issue? I am hesitant to install the
    > most recent BIOS (1.3) until I know whether it should fix the problem or
    > not.
    >
    > Thanks...
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

    Luigi,

    One problem that you *may* have, kinda related (once you've read what
    I have to say), is that you may find you're gonna run into problems
    flashing the BIOS.

    I am no expert but this is where I'm at with my mobo. I cannot get to
    update the bios. I've created a Bios diskette, but it says at boot up
    time that it cannot find the AWDFLASH.EXE UTILITY.

    Be interested to see what you or others may say about this.

    Sorry for jumping in on your original post like this.

    Luigi <luigi@pizza.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.1b82f914b64ab42398968f@newsgroups.bellsouth.net>...
    > I am running BIOS rev 1.2c on the P4DC6+. I just installed 2 new
    > Hitachi 7K250 160GB SATA drives, attached to a Promise TX2Plus
    > controller card. The controller supports 2 parallel ATA drives in
    > addition to 2 SATA drives. I have two Western Digital UDMA5 drives
    > attached to the Parallel interface.
    >
    > My problem is that the Promise card reports all 4 drives as UDMA5 during
    > the boot process, instead of showing the 2 Hitachis as "Serial ATA".
    > The implication (verified by SiSoft Sandra) is that the new drives are
    > running at 2/3 of their rated speed (100 mbps vs. 150).
    >
    > Could this be a motherboard BIOS issue? I am hesitant to install the
    > most recent BIOS (1.3) until I know whether it should fix the problem or
    > not.
    >
    > Thanks...
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

    Luigi,
    You will probably need 2 disks. A basic bootable DOS disk, and a second
    disk which includes awdflash.exe and all additional BIOS flash files.
    If you follow the instructions EXACTLY, everything should go just fine.
    If you continue to have problems, contact Supermicro tech support.
    They are very helpful...

    Ed Jamison
    MBX - http://www.mbx.com/
    888-440-1414 X307
    ed.jamison-at-mbx-dot-com
    AIM - MBXEdJamison

    A_Newsreader wrote:
    > Luigi,
    >
    > One problem that you *may* have, kinda related (once you've read what
    > I have to say), is that you may find you're gonna run into problems
    > flashing the BIOS.
    >
    > I am no expert but this is where I'm at with my mobo. I cannot get to
    > update the bios. I've created a Bios diskette, but it says at boot up
    > time that it cannot find the AWDFLASH.EXE UTILITY.
    >
    > Be interested to see what you or others may say about this.
    >
    > Sorry for jumping in on your original post like this.
    >

    > Luigi <luigi@pizza.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.1b82f914b64ab42398968f@newsgroups.bellsouth.net>...
    >
    >>I am running BIOS rev 1.2c on the P4DC6+. I just installed 2 new
    >>Hitachi 7K250 160GB SATA drives, attached to a Promise TX2Plus
    >>controller card. The controller supports 2 parallel ATA drives in
    >>addition to 2 SATA drives. I have two Western Digital UDMA5 drives
    >>attached to the Parallel interface.
    >>
    >>My problem is that the Promise card reports all 4 drives as UDMA5 during
    >>the boot process, instead of showing the 2 Hitachis as "Serial ATA".
    >>The implication (verified by SiSoft Sandra) is that the new drives are
    >>running at 2/3 of their rated speed (100 mbps vs. 150).
    >>
    >>Could this be a motherboard BIOS issue? I am hesitant to install the
    >>most recent BIOS (1.3) until I know whether it should fix the problem or
    >>not.
    >>
    >>Thanks...

BIOS SATA Motherboards