Need Help installing XP Pro

Hi everyone,

I'm helping out a friend who's XP pro computer died.

I organised a new box for him, but I thought he had XP Home, so the
dealer installed XP Home. I just got it back to my place and booted it
up and tried to enter his Product Code, but it would not accept it.
Then discovered he has XP Pro.

So I thought no worries I'll throw in an XP Pro CD and let it install.

It boots from the CD and goes thru all the loading and initialisation,
but then when it get to point where it tells me to press Enter to
install Windows, it announces that it can't find a hard drive !!!!

But it still boots to the Windows XP Home set up if I start it up
without the CD in - so clearly the Hard drive is working and being found.

Any one with any thoughts ?

regards & TIA, Dave @
dj-software
Perth, Western Australia

Hi

Install from the original CD that was supplied with the PC.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Dave Porter" <dave@dj-software.com.au> wrote in message

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm helping out a friend who's XP pro computer died.
>
> I organised a new box for him, but I thought he had XP Home, so the dealer
> installed XP Home. I just got it back to my place and booted it up and
> tried to enter his Product Code, but it would not accept it. Then
> discovered he has XP Pro.
>
> So I thought no worries I'll throw in an XP Pro CD and let it install.
>
> It boots from the CD and goes thru all the loading and initialisation, but
> then when it get to point where it tells me to press Enter to install
> Windows, it announces that it can't find a hard drive !!!!
>
> But it still boots to the Windows XP Home set up if I start it up without
> the CD in - so clearly the Hard drive is working and being found.
>
> Any one with any thoughts ?
>
> regards & TIA, Dave @
> dj-software
> Perth, Western Australia

If the hard drive is a SATA you need to press F6 when prompted and have the
floppy in the drive with the SATA drivers.

"Dave Porter" <dave@dj-software.com.au> wrote in message

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm helping out a friend who's XP pro computer died.
>
> I organised a new box for him, but I thought he had XP Home, so the dealer
> installed XP Home. I just got it back to my place and booted it up and
> tried to enter his Product Code, but it would not accept it. Then
> discovered he has XP Pro.
>
> So I thought no worries I'll throw in an XP Pro CD and let it install.
>
> It boots from the CD and goes thru all the loading and initialisation, but
> then when it get to point where it tells me to press Enter to install
> Windows, it announces that it can't find a hard drive !!!!
>
> But it still boots to the Windows XP Home set up if I start it up without
> the CD in - so clearly the Hard drive is working and being found.
>
> Any one with any thoughts ?
>
> regards & TIA, Dave @
> dj-software
> Perth, Western Australia

RonK - Thank you - that is it !
But ( and isn't there always a but ! )

After I press F6 and then it goes thru the start up and tells me to
press S to install the drivers, it access's the floppy, then I get this
error !

file txtsetup.oem caused an unexpected error (1024) at line 1742 in
d:\xpclient\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c.

press any key to continue.

Any thoughts ?

cheers, Dave

RonK wrote:
> If the hard drive is a SATA you need to press F6 when prompted and have the
> floppy in the drive with the SATA drivers.
>
> "Dave Porter" <dave@dj-software.com.au> wrote in message
>
>>Hi everyone,
>>
>>I'm helping out a friend who's XP pro computer died.
>>
>>I organised a new box for him, but I thought he had XP Home, so the dealer
>>installed XP Home. I just got it back to my place and booted it up and
>>tried to enter his Product Code, but it would not accept it. Then
>>discovered he has XP Pro.
>>
>>So I thought no worries I'll throw in an XP Pro CD and let it install.
>>
>>It boots from the CD and goes thru all the loading and initialisation, but
>>then when it get to point where it tells me to press Enter to install
>>Windows, it announces that it can't find a hard drive !!!!
>>
>>But it still boots to the Windows XP Home set up if I start it up without
>>the CD in - so clearly the Hard drive is working and being found.
>>
>>Any one with any thoughts ?
>>
>>regards & TIA, Dave @
>>dj-software
>>Perth, Western Australia

Did you create the floppy the proper way ?
You have to run the program from the cd to create the floppy.

> RonK - Thank you - that is it !
> But ( and isn't there always a but ! )
>
> After I press F6 and then it goes thru the start up and tells me to press
> S to install the drivers, it access's the floppy, then I get this error !
>
> file txtsetup.oem caused an unexpected error (1024) at line 1742 in
> d:\xpclient\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c.
>
> press any key to continue.
>
> Any thoughts ?
>
> cheers, Dave
>

> RonK wrote:
>> If the hard drive is a SATA you need to press F6 when prompted and have
>> the floppy in the drive with the SATA drivers.
>>
>> "Dave Porter" <dave@dj-software.com.au> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi everyone,
>>>
>>>I'm helping out a friend who's XP pro computer died.
>>>
>>>I organised a new box for him, but I thought he had XP Home, so the
>>>dealer installed XP Home. I just got it back to my place and booted it
>>>up and tried to enter his Product Code, but it would not accept it. Then
>>>discovered he has XP Pro.
>>>
>>>So I thought no worries I'll throw in an XP Pro CD and let it install.
>>>
>>>It boots from the CD and goes thru all the loading and initialisation,
>>>but then when it get to point where it tells me to press Enter to install
>>>Windows, it announces that it can't find a hard drive !!!!
>>>
>>>But it still boots to the Windows XP Home set up if I start it up without
>>>the CD in - so clearly the Hard drive is working and being found.
>>>
>>>Any one with any thoughts ?
>>>
>>>regards & TIA, Dave @
>>>dj-software
>>>Perth, Western Australia

Hi Ron,

You got me there ?

The floppy came with the computer - I did not have to create it.

Do you mean I have to create another floppy ?

regards, Dave

RonK wrote:
> Did you create the floppy the proper way ?
> You have to run the program from the cd to create the floppy.
>
> "Dave Porter" <dave@dj-software.com.au> wrote in message
>
>>RonK - Thank you - that is it !
>>But ( and isn't there always a but ! )
>>
>>After I press F6 and then it goes thru the start up and tells me to press
>>S to install the drivers, it access's the floppy, then I get this error !
>>
>>file txtsetup.oem caused an unexpected error (1024) at line 1742 in
>>d:\xpclient\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c.
>>
>>press any key to continue.
>>
>>Any thoughts ?
>>
>>cheers, Dave
>>

>>RonK wrote:
>>
>>>If the hard drive is a SATA you need to press F6 when prompted and have
>>>the floppy in the drive with the SATA drivers.
>>>
>>>"Dave Porter" <dave@dj-software.com.au> wrote in message

Hi Dave,

Have a look at the floppy to make sure the .txt file is there and is not in
..zip form.

Another problem could be that you may have more that 1 hard drive installed
and your bios is not set to boot from the SATA (SCSI in bios).

What motherboard is it (make and model)

> Hi Ron,
>
> You got me there ?
>
> The floppy came with the computer - I did not have to create it.
>
> Do you mean I have to create another floppy ?
>
> regards, Dave
>

> RonK wrote:
>> Did you create the floppy the proper way ?
>> You have to run the program from the cd to create the floppy.
>>
>> "Dave Porter" <dave@dj-software.com.au> wrote in message
>>
>>>RonK - Thank you - that is it !
>>>But ( and isn't there always a but ! )
>>>
>>>After I press F6 and then it goes thru the start up and tells me to press
>>>S to install the drivers, it access's the floppy, then I get this error !
>>>
>>>file txtsetup.oem caused an unexpected error (1024) at line 1742 in
>>>d:\xpclient\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c.
>>>
>>>press any key to continue.
>>>
>>>Any thoughts ?
>>>
>>>cheers, Dave

Hi Ron,

I've since got it going.

I just tried selecting the various options when I press 'S' and the SCSI
option worked ( even though it is not a SCSI disk ? ).

The only small issue now is when I deleted the partition and re-formated
the HD, it ended up being drive 'D' and I have a small 'C' partition.

But we have a working computer - thanks for all your help.

regards, Dave

RonK wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> Have a look at the floppy to make sure the .txt file is there and is not in
> .zip form.
>
> Another problem could be that you may have more that 1 hard drive installed
> and your bios is not set to boot from the SATA (SCSI in bios).
>
> What motherboard is it (make and model)
>
> "Dave Porter" <dave@dj-software.com.au> wrote in message
>
>>Hi Ron,
>>
>>You got me there ?
>>
>>The floppy came with the computer - I did not have to create it.
>>
>>Do you mean I have to create another floppy ?
>>
>>regards, Dave
>>

>>RonK wrote:
>>
>>>Did you create the floppy the proper way ?
>>>You have to run the program from the cd to create the floppy.
>>>
>>>"Dave Porter" <dave@dj-software.com.au> wrote in message

Glad to see you're up and running.

Did you create 2 partitions ?
If you have a Zip Drive connected it may become the C drive. It's best to
disconnect any external drives when installing XP.

> Hi Ron,
>
> I've since got it going.
>
> I just tried selecting the various options when I press 'S' and the SCSI
> option worked ( even though it is not a SCSI disk ? ).
>
> The only small issue now is when I deleted the partition and re-formated
> the HD, it ended up being drive 'D' and I have a small 'C' partition.
>
> But we have a working computer - thanks for all your help.
>
> regards, Dave
>

> RonK wrote:
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> Have a look at the floppy to make sure the .txt file is there and is not
>> in .zip form.
>>
>> Another problem could be that you may have more that 1 hard drive
>> installed and your bios is not set to boot from the SATA (SCSI in bios).
>>
>> What motherboard is it (make and model)
>>
>> "Dave Porter" <dave@dj-software.com.au> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi Ron,
>>>
>>>You got me there ?
>>>
>>>The floppy came with the computer - I did not have to create it.
>>>
>>>Do you mean I have to create another floppy ?
>>>
>>>regards, Dave

No, When it got to the part of the installation where it shows the
partitions there were already two. I went to delete the C one and it
warned me about doing this ( apart from the usual warning about loosing
data ) something about drivers may be here !

Anyway I'm not going to worry about it for now !

regards, Dave

RonK wrote:
> Glad to see you're up and running.
>
> Did you create 2 partitions ?
> If you have a Zip Drive connected it may become the C drive. It's best to
> disconnect any external drives when installing XP.
>

> "Dave Porter" <dave@dj-software.com.au> wrote in message
>
>>Hi Ron,
>>
>>I've since got it going.
>>
>>I just tried selecting the various options when I press 'S' and the SCSI
>>option worked ( even though it is not a SCSI disk ? ).
>>
>>The only small issue now is when I deleted the partition and re-formated
>>the HD, it ended up being drive 'D' and I have a small 'C' partition.
>>
>>But we have a working computer - thanks for all your help.
>>
>>regards, Dave
>>

>>RonK wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Dave,
>>>
>>>Have a look at the floppy to make sure the .txt file is there and is not
>>>in .zip form.
>>>
>>>Another problem could be that you may have more that 1 hard drive
>>>installed and your bios is not set to boot from the SATA (SCSI in bios).
>>>
>>>What motherboard is it (make and model)
>>>
>>>"Dave Porter" <dave@dj-software.com.au> wrote in message

Ronk . think you will find F6 is for Raid drivers . NOT sata harddrives.
They should automatically be detected by the Bios on the motherboard.

John