Serverworks chipset config on P3TDE6 ?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

I have a couple of P3TDE6 in workstation use. The chipset and memory runs pretty
warm. I believe that this is mostly a result of constant cycling through memory
looking for ECC faults and rewriting if found. I understand that this is a feature
in a high-rel server, but in my workstation application it is more valuable to
reduce the power by slowing or stopping this hardware process.

Anyone know of a runtime utility or BIOS option that can change this ?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

Many memory sticks and chipsets just run warm. It's not necessarily a
feature of the ECC or Registered function of the memory and/or chipset,
it's just how it works. For this reason, you see passive and active
cooling on some chipsets. If you're worried about heat, rig up a fan to
blow across the warm memory and/or chipset. If you're worried about
power consumption, don't be. I've never seen anything that would
indicate that the chipset and memory you are using draws any measurable
amount of power over any other configuration. There is no way that I am
aware of to disable the ECC feature in the memory. It is a requirement
on dual CPU systems for very good reason. On systems that use less
sophisticated (VIA) chipsets for dual processing motherboards that don't
require ECC memory, errors and crashes are much more frequent. The ECC
feature isn't what's causing your heat issue, nor will getting rid of it
cool the system or aid operation at all.

Ed Jamison
MBX - http://www.mbx.com/
888-440-1414 X307
ed.jamison-at-mbx-dot-com